Blue Iris compatible doorbell/intercom/2 way audio

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
are you using android or ios? I believe he farms out the android app so hes at the mercy of the developer...
Android, and yes he does. The dialog was always between me, Ken, and his app developer. It is pretty clear that whatever the issue is on the app, his app dev is absolutely stymied.

GlennNZ

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I have purchased this and currently integrating into BlueIris

Amazon.com: GBF New Upgraded -Global Wireless Video Doorphone & Doorbell WI-FI Intercom System Night Vision Weatherproof: Cell Phones & Accessories
WiFi Intercom | Product Categories | GBF electronics Inc

Note the recent review on Amazon.

I can confirm is Ovnif compatible (once the right port is selected in BlueIris)
Can add to BlueIris as camera and pulls stream (constantly) without problem.

The app seems to work well'ish - but was hoping to bypass it altogether and integrate with home automation system.

Haven't installed or tested the relay connections as yet - but see no reason they shouldn't work for gate/door opening.

So far the biggest stumbling block is to capture the doorbell press within BlueIris - I do get some events - but can't quite isolate the trigger settings.

All in all though; currently waiting for rain cover to install - may just send the stream constantly to BlueIris as additional camera and use their app if cant immediately integrate.

Glenn

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Astrokamel

n3wb
Reaction score
Very nice, thank you for the post GlennNZ!

Posting the serious security concerns about Dbell that was posted by Rich on dbell forums
This is yet another reason why IP cameras should honestly be isolated from the internet. Regardless of how poor the security is, if they are on an isolated LAN, no one can get to them. The least they could do is encrypt the outbound connection with SSL though

pcdo78

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ring has an Elite version that works with POE, but for a whopping $500. I'm assuming there's no way it'll integrate with Blue Iris. I honestly could care less about how good the camera is as instantaneous two audio is the main desire I'd want. For my front door I'm planning on having a mounted IP camera there anyways for video capture.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Ring has an Elite version that works with POE, but for a whopping $500. I'm assuming there's no way it'll integrate with Blue Iris. I honestly could care less about how good the camera is as instantaneous two audio is the main desire I'd want. For my front door I'm planning on having a mounted IP camera there anyways for video capture.
I cannot speak to the $500 version, but I bought the original ring from Lowes about a month ago. Apparently Ring has pushed a number of updates to address latency and the ability to live-view without someone first triggering (motion or button press). In fact, just since I've installed it, they've added a "quick view" ability that brings up the live camera and audio within 5 seconds of initiating it - before it took up to 20 seconds to start.

I've yet to have the app not notify within 3 seconds of the doorbell press. I know others have complained about unbearably long notification delays, or delays in making the first audio contact - but I've seen no such thing.

I'm powering the Ring using the 24VAC existing doorbell transformer. Since this is the original (larger) model, it did not need a booster installed at the existing chime.

Given Lowe's rather generous return policy, I would say before you blow $500 on their high-end unit, give it a go. I think I paid $179 using a 10% off coupon.

Ring will push the cloud-storage service ($3/mo for a single camera), but like you, I have plenty of overlap from my existing cameras in that location - so I just ignored all the prompts to upgrade. They come to a head at the 30 day mark (when any existing videos expire), and then it gets quiet (no more spam).

As for the Dahua systems you inquired about, I would be reluctant to use any two-way audio capable camera THROUGH Blue Iris (at least for Android). Ken's developer is simply unable to resolve the audio issue. So even if you get a good two-way camera, if it's relying on BI to conduct the communication, you'll be SOL. If they operate through their own app, then do plenty of research to see if they don't suffer from similar growing pains that Ring had (delayed notification, etc).

pcdo78

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So Blue Iris is completely incapable of two way audio on any device? Even the indoor wifi cams?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I can't speak for the iPhone app, but for Android definitely so far nothing I found works. And it's the app, not the server or blue iris. When on the console I'm able to talk to any of the cameras with perfect Fidelity using the desktop mic. It's only when using the Android app.

pcdo78

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I have an iPhone but my wife has Android. As always it's all or none.

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am in this same hunt right now, so far have come up with only questions.

My requirements:
POE
Video
Audio
Compatible with blueIris
Front-facing button can actuate a z-wave sensor such as a door sensor VIA an always closed lead/wire that is 'on' for the button press. (for a chime or speaker inside the home)

So far the only candidate is the Hikvision DS-KV8102 but I'm trying to see if it will work with blueIris and if one of the leads on the rear can do the momentary voltage for a contact sensor.

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am in this same hunt right now, so far have come up with only questions.

My requirements:
POE
Video
Audio
Compatible with blueIris
Front-facing button can actuate a z-wave sensor such as a door sensor VIA an always closed lead/wire that is 'on' for the button press. (for a chime or speaker inside the home)

So far the only candidate is the Hikvision DS-KV8102 but I'm trying to see if it will work with blueIris and if one of the leads on the rear can do the momentary voltage for a contact sensor.
DoorBird meets your needs (see my thread on caveats). One exception is the two way audio, Blue Iris really isn't viable for two way on any camera I've used, even the Hikvision. You would need to use their app for two way and Blue Iris can continously record the video stream (not audio).

I use the dry contact relays on the back of the DoorBird to activate a chime and an unlock.

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
DoorBird meets your needs (see my thread on caveats). One exception is the two way audio, Blue Iris really isn't viable for two way on any camera I've used, even the Hikvision. You would need to use their app for two way and Blue Iris can continously record the video stream (not audio).

I use the dry contact relays on the back of the DoorBird to activate a chime and an unlock.
The doorbird is SO expensive - but humor me and let's say I was going to invest in a doorbird.

Is the chime 2-pin connector on the back a 'normally off' contact which is 'on/open' when the front button is depressed? And can it be used to open a contact on a zwave sensor?

Can I send audio one way from my iphone by pressing the speaker icon in the app to give instructions to the person at the door?

If I completely forgo installing the doorbird app and isolate the doorbird on one of my network's VLANs for security - can I set it up just like a POE IP camera without any additional tools or cloud services from doorbird?

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The doorbird is SO expensive - but humor me and let's say I was going to invest in a doorbird.

Is the chime 2-pin connector on the back a 'normally off' contact which is 'on/open' when the front button is depressed? And can it be used to open a contact on a zwave sensor?

Can I send audio one way from my iphone by pressing the speaker icon in the app to give instructions to the person at the door?

If I completely forgo installing the doorbird app and isolate the doorbird on one of my network's VLANs for security - can I set it up just like a POE IP camera without any additional tools or cloud services from doorbird?
Yes, it is very expensive. Check my thread before proceeding.

The 2-pin connectors on the back are normally open (no continuity), they will close when activated by the remote unlock or via the doorbell push button. I connect them to a PLC and then feed them to my ISY to handle controls from there. You can connect them to a Z-Wave door module but keep in mind that "door closed" would mean that it is being activated and "door open" would mean that it is not. The "door closed" timing may be an issue, depending on your module and how you are responding. You can control how long the relay is closed when the unlock is activated (in seconds) but not for the doorbell button. I started with Z-Wave modules but then switched to a PLC.

FYI - I use a single CAT6 cable to my DoorBird - 4 pins for 100Mbit PoE, 2 for chime relay, 2 for unlock relay. In theory, you don't need to use the physical contacts for the unlock relay if you have some programming abilities. They expose an API that provides callbacks for these events - I found them to be buggy so I didn't use them. I worked with Ken@Blue Iris and he attempted to integrate what he could, this callback being one of them. I have not tested this portion via Blue Iris.

When you hit the phone button in the DoorBird app, it opens a full duplex audio connection along with showing you the video. It works well in general albeit possibly higher latency.

If you forgo installing their app, don't get a DoorBird. Without it, the device is not very useful. Blue Iris cannot currently transmit audio to it. If you decide to isolate it, you will be able to capture video and audio from it along with the doorbell contact but you will not be able to speak to the person. You can isolate the DoorBird from the Internet and use their app via a VPN, in which case their cloud services will not be involved. However, a VPN is not wife approved IMO.

More concisely, yes it will operate as a normal PoE camera if we ignore the two-way audio issues.

Are you convinced there is exists camera that works well with two way audio via Blue Iris? Even with removing the door bell form factor, I have yet to see one. I haven't had a setup that would have a natural feeling conversation with anyone. I have pretty much given up on Blue Iris two-way.

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, it is very expensive. Check my thread before proceeding.

The 2-pin connectors on the back are normally open (no continuity), they will close when activated by the remote unlock or via the doorbell push button. I connect them to a PLC and then feed them to my ISY to handle controls from there. You can connect them to a Z-Wave door module but keep in mind that "door closed" would mean that it is being activated and "door open" would mean that it is not. The "door closed" timing may be an issue, depending on your module and how you are responding. You can control how long the relay is closed when the unlock is activated (in seconds) but not for the doorbell button. I started with Z-Wave modules but then switched to a PLC.

FYI - I use a single CAT6 cable to my DoorBird - 4 pins for 100Mbit PoE, 2 for chime relay, 2 for unlock relay. In theory, you don't need to use the physical contacts for the unlock relay if you have some programming abilities. They expose an API that provides callbacks for these events - I found them to be buggy so I didn't use them. I worked with Ken@Blue Iris and he attempted to integrate what he could, this callback being one of them. I have not tested this portion via Blue Iris.

When you hit the phone button in the DoorBird app, it opens a full duplex audio connection along with showing you the video. It works well in general albeit possibly higher latency.

If you forgo installing their app, don't get a DoorBird. Without it, the device is not very useful. Blue Iris cannot currently transmit audio to it. If you decide to isolate it, you will be able to capture video and audio from it along with the doorbell contact but you will not be able to speak to the person. You can isolate the DoorBird from the Internet and use their app via a VPN, in which case their cloud services will not be involved. However, a VPN is not wife approved IMO.

More concisely, yes it will operate as a normal PoE camera if we ignore the two-way audio issues.

Are you convinced there is exists camera that works well with two way audio via Blue Iris? Even with removing the door bell form factor, I have yet to see one. I haven't had a setup that would have a natural feeling conversation with anyone. I have pretty much given up on Blue Iris two-way.
Ok...so BI cannot even do one-way only audio from the app to the built-in speaker?

Audio is secondary to me than just video, and the ability to operate zwave devices VIA pushing the built-in button, those are primary. Though I would like at least one-way audio.

Not being able to isolate it is a negative aswell, as my camera VLAN is not exposed to the internet less the one port I've forwarded for the main PC running BI - but all cameras on the VLAN are block from WAN/LAN access both ways for security reasons of course.

What is the link to your doorbird thread?

I also mentioned the DS-KV8102 by Hikvision above - but I'm awaiting BI to get back to me about the audio/video working within BI.

Nathan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok...so BI cannot even do one-way only audio from the app to the built-in speaker?

Audio is secondary to me than just video, and the ability to operate zwave devices VIA pushing the built-in button, those are primary. Though I would like at least one-way audio.

Not being able to isolate it is a negative aswell, as my camera VLAN is not exposed to the internet less the one port I've forwarded for the main PC running BI - but all cameras on the VLAN are block from WAN/LAN access both ways for security reasons of course.

What is the link to your doorbird thread?

I also mentioned the DS-KV8102 by Hikvision above - but I'm awaiting BI to get back to me about the audio/video working within BI.
I'm assuming by one-way audio, you mean talking to the person but not being able to hear them? I have not had success in getting Blue Iris to transmit audio to the DoorBird.

I have a similar setup to yours, using VLANs & Layer 2/3 firewalling. DoorBird is allowed access to the Internet and connections are allowed to it when initiated from another more privileged VLAN. Some broadcast traffic is also allowed to enable the discovery to work. As I mentioned, I could isolate it from the Internet but then the app wouldn't be usable without a VPN, which isn't wife approved for my situation.

See both of these:
Calling any Doorbird owners
Blue Iris compatible doorbell/intercom/2 way audio

Edit: The DS-KV8102 looks decent - someone needs to buy it and put it through the gauntlet. I'm too deep on DoorBird right now but could be convinced to switch if it was proven viable.

cameraman27

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes the DS-KV8102 looks nice. It has:

PoE
Camera/Audio
Push button
RFID entry (not necessary but neat, I guess)

IF it can work with BI as an IP camera, thats step 1. If it can get audio from BI app to its internal speaker that's awesome as well, thats step 2. If the front-facing button, when depressed, opens the pink NC lead on the rear of the unit momentarily, that would seal the deal!

The manual on the hikvision website is very vague but does show that the leads on the whip on the rear of the unit are meant to function as open/close contacts for electronic admittance locks on a doorway. There is also an alarm function, but the manual is not clear if the alarm is just for the 'case open' tamper button or if 'alarm' is just mis-speak and is meant to say 'chime'.

Cons of the unit are that it's only 1.3MP and, well, may not work with BI at all. Waiting to hear from BI through email before I purchase one on ebay but I'm VERY close to doing so.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I need to update my previous glowing praises for the entry level original Ring doorbell. While it was working perfectly for the first month, it went 'offline' a few days ago. Given that I'm 700 miles from where it's located, I had to rely on a all-things-technical challenged neighbor to troubleshoot. Ultimately, we had to involve Ring tech support. They were quick, courteous, and honest. The problem, as it turns out, was that all the original doorbell models DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY RECONNECT TO A WIFI ACCESS POINT after the AP disappears - for any reason. So, imagine a 5 minute power outage where the router goes dark. Or, you remotely log in to reboot the router. Or you decide to do anything to the router that causes it to restart the wifi service... Any of these scenarios causes the doorbell to lose the connection to the AP. Once that happens, it goes into a setup mode - where it is waiting for someone to re-initialize the wifi credentials.

I kid you not. Literally, the wifi card in the doorbell doesn't know how to reconnect to the last-known access point. HOW EFFING STUPID CAN THAT BE? I grilled the tech guy on how this is a product that can remotely be considered reliable. He concurred and said the newer units don't have that 'feature'. Unfortunately, it's been 2 months since I bought it at Lowes, and the box is long since gone. As consolation, he did offer me a year of free cloud storage for recordings... Great, I said. I can record a year of OFFLINE BLACKNESS for free! Yippie.

Now that my neighbor knows how to reset it, and pair it to my AP, I at least have an out if/when it happens again. But Jezus. Can you imagine if cell phones worked like that? You walk away from your AP, each time you come back you have to scan, select, and re enter the credentials? Retarded.