Blue Iris Gradually Goes to 100% CPU Usage

Jacks

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having an issue with Blue Iris. It will start and run fine for about a day at around 45% CPU utilization. After a day or so the usage will go up to 100% and Windows will be very laggy. I can still login, but Blue Iris is unusable. I have to restart the computer to fix this issue. Blue Iris was running fine on the same system for over a year prior to this. The temps are normal for the CPU and memory usage is around 6.5 GB for Blue Iris.

So far I have tried getting different Intel drivers, but the list of compatible ones on this forum are only compatible with Windows 10 for my CPU. I have also,
-Clean Install of Windows
-Replaced main boot drive
-Cleaned and reapplied thermal paste to CPU
-Cleaned out all fans in case and added another fan

I am running an Intel i7-4770k and Windows 7 Pro with 16 GB of RAM. With the latest version of Blue Iris 4.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

eganders

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you made sure you are saving video files in the direct to disc format? I have a much older computer than yours and I also had the problem (hitting 100%). My computer now is about 30% CPU usage with 8 WIFI cameras (combination of Foscam & Amcrest cameras). Look at:
Camera settings/record/video file format and compression

Then see the video compression and set it to "direct to disc".

By the way, I am using Blue Iris 5. I had the same problem with a laptop using Blue Iris 3. I never used Blue Iris 4. Some of the settings may be in a different place than mine in BI4

Let me know if that helps.

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hardware acceleration doesn't work in Windows 7 if you run BI in service mode.

Hmm.

Have you considered upgrading to Win10? It still activated for free when I upgraded a machine last week from 8.1 to 10. It was a dell refurb i7-4790. Runs BI great and I did not need to fuss with drivers at all.

Jacks

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you made sure you are saving video files in the direct to disc format? I have a much older computer than yours and I also had the problem (hitting 100%). My computer now is about 30% CPU usage with 8 WIFI cameras (combination of Foscam & Amcrest cameras). Look at:
Camera settings/record/video file format and compression

Then see the video compression and set it to "direct to disc".

By the way, I am using Blue Iris 5. I had the same problem with a laptop using Blue Iris 3. I never used Blue Iris 4. Some of the settings may be in a different place than mine in BI4

Let me know if that helps.
I have direct to disk enabled as well as hardware acceleration enabled. I have done all the tricks to keep CPU usage down, and it has worked up until recently. CPU usage isn't a problem at first. The machine runs fine for up to a couple of days, but will randomly jump to 100% without warning.

Jacks

n3wb
Reaction score
Hardware acceleration doesn't work in Windows 7 if you run BI in service mode.

Hmm.

Have you considered upgrading to Win10? It still activated for free when I upgraded a machine last week from 8.1 to 10. It was a dell refurb i7-4790. Runs BI great and I did not need to fuss with drivers at all.
It is not running as a service. I have it set to auto start on login using a guide I found on here.

One thing I have noticed is in the BI logs it will randomly drop connections to the cameras and then reconnect to them. It will do this for all 35 cameras at random. It doesn't do them all at once but different cameras at different times. I can not tell if this is causing the high CPU usage or the high CPU usage is causing the connections to drop, as the system has only done this at night.

The plan is to upgrade to Windows 10 once 7 is more near the end of its support (beginning of 2020).

eganders

n3wb
Reaction score
By the way... I am using Windows 10 in service mode. I have been running in direct to disk mode for a while in this system. I also saw the same condition you did with the CPU usage creep. I also see some of my cameras (all WiFi) drop out once in a while. I checked the signal strength and they are all "excellent" (better than -70dB). I think it might be some interferance from the neighbors, but I am not sure. All my cameras are on my 2.4 GHz WiFi since most of them are not able to use 5GHz WiFi.

Wow!! 35 cameras?? I have only 8 and I have heard of many people running into the trouble you describe with less than 8. I know that Blue Iris is supposed to do, what, 64 or so. Well I think that is pushing it. I think you can overwhelm just about any computer with the number you are working with. I wonder how many are on the typical large system.

Jacks

n3wb
Reaction score
By the way... I am using Windows 10 in service mode. I have been running in direct to disk mode for a while in this system. I also saw the same condition you did with the CPU usage creep. I also see some of my cameras (all WiFi) drop out once in a while. I checked the signal strength and they are all "excellent" (better than -70dB). I think it might be some interferance from the neighbors, but I am not sure. All my cameras are on my 2.4 GHz WiFi since most of them are not able to use 5GHz WiFi.

Wow!! 35 cameras?? I have only 8 and I have heard of many people running into the trouble you describe with less than 8. I know that Blue Iris is supposed to do, what, 64 or so. Well I think that is pushing it. I think you can overwhelm just about any computer with the number you are working with. I wonder how many are on the typical large system.
Interesting, all of my cameras are hardwired to their own switch so there shouldn't be any interference. The weird thing about this is, the computer was running fine for more than a year with this exact setup. Then all of a sudden it started to act up and give me issues.

Just for the sake of knowing, this is not a home system. This is used as the security system for a medium sized company that I work at.

eganders

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting comment that you have been running for a year with no problems and now you do have problems. I am sorry, but I don't have an answer. If you find one, I would be interested in your conclusions. You might contact support@blueirissoftware.com and see if you get an answer. My first thought is -- what has changed lately? Have you updated Blue Iris? Have you updated the operating system? In my 40 year + engineering experience, I always thought the answer to that question was worth exploring.

pueblokc

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a nice new setup that has run decently until lately, and it will slowly have memory usage creep up, then cpu usage will max out and the computer becomes unresponsive and no recordings happen. If i kill the blue iris service/app and restart it all is fine again. So far I havent found a fix. I tried the fix for intel video driver memory leak, and now I have just turned hardware acceleration off completely to see if that changes anything.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a nice new setup that has run decently until lately, and it will slowly have memory usage creep up, then cpu usage will max out and the computer becomes unresponsive and no recordings happen. If i kill the blue iris service/app and restart it all is fine again. So far I havent found a fix. I tried the fix for intel video driver memory leak, and now I have just turned hardware acceleration off completely to see if that changes anything.
Did you use the recommended drivers?
The latest update included some changes that may stop the leak. 5.0.1 - August 1, 2019 -Intel MFX library (2019R1)

pueblokc

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the current version of BI, and rolled back the intel driver to that listed on the wiki neither helped. For some extra fun, I disabled hardware decode completely and just had the memory max out again. So I assume this is a seperate memory leak, unrelated to intel? either way I am at a loss as to how to resolve this issue as it happens very randomly

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the current version of BI, and rolled back the intel driver to that listed on the wiki neither helped. For some extra fun, I disabled hardware decode completely and just had the memory max out again. So I assume this is a seperate memory leak, unrelated to intel? either way I am at a loss as to how to resolve this issue as it happens very randomly
Ensure you have a clean install of windows using the ms media creation tool

pueblokc

n3wb
Reaction score
Thank you I will try that next! hopefully the Dell build of windows is the issue

pueblokc

n3wb
Reaction score
so I tried a brand new clean install of windows 10 from microsoft, and im still having blue iris become unresponsive after about a day. Tried the old intel driver, tried the most current driver..same situation. I did notice this time the memory usage didnt seem to be rising like before so I am wondering if this is a different issue? Any further steps I can try? thanks!

pueblokc

n3wb
Reaction score
Faulting application name: BlueIris.exe, version: 5.0.2.3, time stamp: 0x5d5b1225
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.18362.267, time stamp: 0xc00f8a30
Exception code: 0xc0000374
Fault offset: 0x00000000000f9269
Faulting process id: 0x20cc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d55812236b29e9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Blue Iris 5\BlueIris.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 896eb69a-5105-4212-a04f-46fc1226ca9f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

this was from todays hang

pueblokc

n3wb
Reaction score
ran it as an app not a service and had the runaway memory usage again. Will do a memtest. Hope thats it! driving me bananas here

kasper-pa-

n3wb
Reaction score
So, I have this same issue on 2 different PC's. One being a Intel 6700k with 16GB RAM - tried both the Intel GPU and a NVIDIA GPU (both options require a reboot after a day or two). The other system is a Ryzen 2700X with 16GB RAM and a RTX2070, also requires a reboot every day or two. Now the Ryzen machine itself does not slow down to the point of not being able to use it like the intel one does, however after 24hrs, the remote view (web or ios app) are basically unusable. A reboot of either machine fixes all issues immediately, at least for a day....

These machines are at 2 different locations, the intel one has 20 cams, and the ryzen system has 12 (all a mix of 4k, 3mp, 2mp)

Ryzen is on BI5, Intel is on BI4 (won't be buying upgrade for the BI4 if I can't solve the daily issue). I current have a script in place to reboot the machines at 5am every morning..

Interestingly enough, a 3rd location I have BI4 in, is a AMD 8320 with 16GB ram, and it is rock solid - up for 36 days now....