Blue Iris Hardare Requirements

GaryK4

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am looking to create a system for our community pool. (4) 2MP dome cameras. Current thinking: Dahua IP Camera SD22204T-GN.
The budget is low. Any suggestions for a minimal windows 10 computer?

Reaction score
Hi all

I have just shy of 30 blueiris systems out there all running solid and never had any issues with setup, hardware etc

I do however need some advice, my largest system to date has been 25ish cameras.... I've goto put 60 into a hotel.

What would you recommend hardware wise? Will be a mix of 4MP and 2MP cams at 10-15FPS as per my normal systems.

I'm looking at something preferably rack mounted that can take 4x 3.5" drives minimum.

I'm assuming anything relatively new, twin Xeon 6 core should be fairly sufficient but it's not really something I want to take a guess at and end up with IVMS due to cpu limits.

I'm in the UK therefore any hardware suggested needs to be on the market here!

Thanks in advance

pcdo78

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Im just about to start the whole security camera gig so I'm new to this but my brief understanding is that Blue Iris greatly benefits from hardware acceleration via Intels integrated GPU and quick sync. I'm not sure if Xeon processors have integrated GPU but I believe most of them if not all may not. Would 12 cores of processors plus hyper threading offset that disadvantage? I'm not sure.

Reaction score
All of my systems currently run on Xeon E3-12 V2 range as they are all in virtual setups and therefore quicksync is unusable anyway.

Practically every install is in a HP Gen8 Microserver as this is the perfect size and hardware I have found for the setups I required... 4 drive bays on one controller passed through and populated with 4x4tb purples, USB or SD with esxi, 4x Gigabit nics, ILO for remote management, SSD with primary data store (one image dedicated to NVR, and others depending on what else I do for them, phone system, server, file storage, plex etc depending if company or home setups)

Blueiris definitely prefers more cores over anything else!

Kogashuko

n3wb
Reaction score
I dont think the I9 CPUs support quiksync. I am currently running my Blueiris PC on an older AMD 16 core server. I run at about 20-30% depending on how many devices I am streaming to and if the viewer is running on my desktop. I have an intel 2600k but I dont really see the advantage at this point at replacing the AMD server for that since the % stays low on the AMD as does the total core mhz which cuts down on power consumption. Supposedly, the onboard GPU on the Intel CPUs helps. I think that is only the case on a limited core system that is already maxed out. You are still probably better served with a 16 core xeon than a 4 core i7 with quicksync support. I would think the same would be true with bulldozer. The game changer will be when and if they add GPU support. We have asked repeatedly but still they only support quicksync.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I dont think the I9 CPUs support quiksync. I am currently running my Blueiris PC on an older AMD 16 core server. I run at about 20-30% depending on how many devices I am streaming to and if the viewer is running on my desktop. I have an intel 2600k but I dont really see the advantage at this point at replacing the AMD server for that since the % stays low on the AMD as does the total core mhz which cuts down on power consumption. The game changer will be when and if they add GPU support. We have asked repeatedly but still they only support quicksync.
It wont be added because its not needed, lots of extra work for a single developer for no reason whatsoever, you need to understand his core user base...that amd is likely sucking lots of power, enough to buy a new modern intel system and have it pay for itself. I would rather the developer use his time to add core functionality that everyone can use like a true windows client...

Kogashuko

n3wb
Reaction score
Everytime I suggest this you show up in five minutes or less and say why he shouldnt have to do this. I generally get frustrated because I find that a lot of people spend time doing more work to prevent from doing work. This might not or probably isnt the case here. I understand he has a core group of users that want certain things. However looking at the last few posts I have seen people running this on xeon VMs. This is a good NVR system. I guess we cant ask for everything but maybe some data on traditional cores VS quicksync would be interesting. I should probably at some point pickup another kill-a-watt meter and do a comparison. I even have an older laptop now that is no longer functional with a quicksync GPU. I would be interested in installing Blueiris on that and running a kill-a-watt meter on it. My bet is that at some point the lower TDP lower GHZ high core server processors beat the quicksync but I dont know.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Everytime I suggest this you show up in five minutes or less and say why he shouldnt have to do this. I generally get frustrated because I find that a lot of people spend time doing more work to prevent from doing work. This might not or probably isnt the case here. I understand he has a core group of users that want certain things. However looking at the last few posts I have seen people running this on xeon VMs. This is a good NVR system. I guess we cant ask for everything but maybe some data on traditional cores VS quicksync would be interesting. I should probably at some point pickup another kill-a-watt meter and do a comparison. I even have an older laptop now that is no longer functional with a quicksync GPU. I would be interested in installing Blueiris on that and running a kill-a-watt meter on it. My bet is that at some point the lower TDP lower GHZ high core server processors beat the quicksync but I dont know.
Yup and i will keep doing it...dumb suggestion.....he has already told a user here that he wont be adding it anytime soon, so no point in bitching and complaining here...iyou cannot use a low power laptop as comparison...Again you need to have an insane amount of cameras/MP to max out a 400 dollar i7-6700 server...makes zero sense to go amd, makes even less sense to use a powerhog nvidia card...if in fact you do have that many cameras its time to start looking for a commercial vms...

Kogashuko

n3wb
Reaction score
I wouldnt say dumb suggestion just wish list. I have been running Blueiris now for like 3 years. I recently got a license at work and it can barely run two cameras on a laptop. However I was recently asked to do a work up for a 4k PTZ camera (dont ask me why because the current batch of 2k ones have better zooms.) After specing out everything and then looking at a Synology NVR I felt his pain when my boss said "it needs to do everything over WIFI." When I said "ummm you keep adding more requests to what you want this to do without any actual concept of what it requires" and then "the county wireless network lacks the bandwidth to do that." I was promptly answered with "I don't give a flying f$&* if it has it or not." Forty five minutes later after multiple people told him it wasnt possible with the current network and equipment we had on hand we got an outside contractor quote. Today we got another quote. Shortly after I was asked if I was available Friday to make sure they wernt screwing us.

Long story short. I dont care how ineffiecent the cores are or how many 1u i7 servers I have to put in running blueiris. It will still be cheaper than getting a synology device, assuming I dont resort to piracy at home, or geovision.

GPU support will be a beg and plea option. I do think he could make a killing if he got it straight though.

PS.
Dont ask what I use this for at work. I will not tell you, you might not comprehend the big picture (I don't and I work for them,) and you will just get pissed off at how limited the funding is. In the meantime the Blueiris developer will keep getting individual licenses here and there for stuff because I originally got this for home and can recommend it.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldnt say dumb suggestion just wish list. I have been running Blueiris now for like 3 years. I recently got a license at work and it can barely run two cameras on a laptop. However I was recently asked to do a work up for a 4k PTZ camera (dont ask me why because the current batch of 2k ones have better zooms.) After specing out everything and then looking at a Synology NVR I felt his pain when my boss said "it needs to do everything over WIFI." When I said "ummm you keep adding more requests to what you want this to do without any actual concept of what it requires" and then "the county wireless network lacks the bandwidth to do that." I was promptly answered with "I don't give a flying f$&* if it has it or not." Forty five minutes later after multiple people told him it wasnt possible with the current network and equipment we had on hand we got an outside contractor quote. Today we got another quote. Shortly after I was asked if I was available Friday to make sure they wernt screwing us.

Long story short. I dont care how ineffiecent the cores are or how many 1u i7 servers I have to put in running blueiris. It will still be cheaper than getting a synology device, assuming I dont resort to piracy at home, or geovision.

GPU support will be a beg and plea option. I do think he could make a killing if he got it straight though.

PS.
Dont ask what I use this for at work. I will not tell you, you might not comprehend the big picture (I don't and I work for them,) and you will just get pissed off at how limited the funding is. In the meantime the Blueiris developer will keep getting individual licenses here and there for stuff because I originally got this for home and can recommend it.
You can run way more than two cameras on a laptop..problem is you are running an old shitty laptop...adding nvida acceleration wont help...
the developer has no obligation to make things work for your cheap ass boss...let him buy a 150 dollar pc...point is bitching about it here and demanding it, complaining that you "need" it is pointless...the developer has already told others its not in the plans...
He knows his business model...I love how everyone has advice on how he could make a killing...do you think he is some sort of dumbass?

Kogashuko

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you on his payroll or something? I dont think I called him a dumbass in my post? I think I tried to tell you you were mostly right. I also added something, that multiple people have also asked for in the past, to a request. If you cant deal with consumers asking for stuff then don't do this business... People ask for stuff. If I were trying to sell a product I wouldnt show up saying "your wrong dont ask for that." I would say something like "we will look into that." I know my boss asks for dumbass things. He also routinely makes dumbass decisions that will eventually get people killed. That is my task to deal with. Since I am not on a customer service tier on that level I can put things a little differently. I offered it as an example because sometimes we are all asked for stuff that is unreasonable.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Are you on his payroll or something? I dont think I called him a dumbass in my post? I think I tried to tell you you were mostly right. I also added something, that multiple people have also asked for in the past, to a request. If you cant deal with consumers asking for stuff then don't do this business... People ask for stuff. If I were trying to sell a product I wouldnt show up saying "your wrong dont ask for that." I would say something like "we will look into that." I know my boss asks for dumbass things. He also routinely makes dumbass decisions that will eventually get people killed. That is my task to deal with. Since I am not on a customer service tier on that level I can put things a little differently. I offered it as an example because sometimes we are all asked for stuff that is unreasonable.
Nope, dont even know the guy....Dont tell me how to run my forum...I dont care if he doesnt sell his product...I am explaining to you, WHY he will not waste time with your nonsense demands...you can keep bitching, wont do you any good...he doesnt need your sales expertise or advice on what to hardware acceleration to offer in his product...
my problem with you is that you bitch and moan on this forum that the developer doesnt read....

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
He also routinely makes dumbass decisions that will eventually get people killed. That is my task to deal with..
WTF !! Why would you come on a public forum and state the above...

Must be numpty friday

jfaletra

n3wb
Reaction score
All this talk about acceleration. If you configure properly and have cameras that support H.264 just configure the camera to write direct to disk. No point in needlessly taxing the CPU. In addition, lower the frame rates (using the web interface to each camera) to around 15 or so and set BI to 20. This will significantly reduce the CPU usage. I run this way without any issues with an i5 -7400 (3GHz quad core,) 12GB DDR4 RAM, 3.5" 2TB HDD 7200rpm. I run 12 cameras, 9 set up with the config above and 3 use the CPU Quicksync. No problems at all.

jfaletra

n3wb
Reaction score
Don't stoop to his level. He's pretty much convinced us all he aint right in the head ;-)

Briggs

n3wb
Reaction score
Would an i7-8700k be plenty of power for 60 plus cameras,several 8mp cameras? I have been helping my uncle upgrade an old dvr system and currently using an amd fx 8370 while using an old digiop program with 32 analog cctv cameras being recorded as well as running blue iris with 2 ip poe cameras, 4k and 2k cameras that make the cpu go to 100% frequently. I need a cpu that can handle what we have now which is 34 cameras in total with the ability to be able to expand up to 60 plus cameras. Was thinking the i7-8700k might be enough but just not sure.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Would an i7-8700k be plenty of power for 60 plus cameras,several 8mp cameras? I have been helping my uncle upgrade an old dvr system and currently using an amd fx 8370 while using an old digiop program with 32 analog cctv cameras being recorded as well as running blue iris with 2 ip poe cameras, 4k and 2k cameras that make the cpu go to 100% frequently. I need a cpu that can handle what we have now which is 34 cameras in total with the ability to be able to expand up to 60 plus cameras. Was thinking the i7-8700k might be enough but just not sure.
no...if you plan on 60 cameras, look at an enterprise vms or nvr...alternatively consider 1080p cameras that are better in low light like the dahua starlights..even then, 60 cams will be tough unless you keep fps low...

Briggs

n3wb
Reaction score
no...if you plan on 60 cameras, look at an enterprise vms or nvr...alternatively consider 1080p cameras that are better in low light like the dahua starlights..even then, 60 cams will be tough unless you keep fps low...
Alrighty, thank you sir.

MrGlasspoole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, new here because I'm searching for a NVR software.

I really wonder about the requirements because the ready build NVRs just have some single board computer, the Bluecherry NVR for 8 x 2 megapixel cameras has just a Celeron J1900 and the Ubiquit NVR a Atom and can do 20 cam's.

So really a i7?
What about power consumption?

I did read that motion detection is not hard for a CPU and since cam's are streaming h.264 all there is to do is writing that to the HD.