Blue Iris Hardware Recommendations

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wondered about the Optane. I've never worked with them. When buying something like a Dell refurb that comes with both SSD and mechanical HDD, do they usually load the OS on the SSD?
they do usually install the OS on the SSD. But the folks at dell are strange, and sometimes that is not the case. On a related note, I purchased a dell laptop with optane (intending to remove it) last week. It arrived with optane disabled and it could not be enabled until I partition the drive with 5MB of unallocated space at the end of the drive, which optane requires, and that dell failed to leave.
However it doesnt matter. I would recommend that the first thing you do, is confirm windows is activated, remove optane, then do a clean install of windows using the MS media creation tool via usb. You can usually get a much better deal if you buy the pc without the ssd and then simply add it yourself.

Reaction score
they do usually install the OS on the SSD. But the folks at dell are strange, and sometimes that is not the case. On a related note, I purchased a dell laptop with optane (intending to remove it) last week. It arrived with optane disabled and it could not be enabled until I partition the drive with 5MB of unallocated space at the end of the drive, which optane requires, and that dell failed to leave.
However it doesnt matter. I would recommend that the first thing you do, is confirm windows is activated, remove optane, then do a clean install of windows using the MS media creation tool via usb. You can usually get a much better deal if you buy the pc without the ssd and then simply add it yourself.
So, these manufacturers provide a way to blow their installation away and kill their bloatware? I haven't even messed with Windows 10 much other than running the Windows Classic shell on it. I may have been around in the days of installation of Windows from multiple floppies, but I don't think I've installed anything clean and not from an image in a long time. Could be fun! Thank you for the tips! I'd rather add my own storage anyway.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, these manufacturers provide a way to blow their installation away and kill their bloatware? I haven't even messed with Windows 10 much other than running the Windows Classic shell on it. I may have been around in the days of installation of Windows from multiple floppies, but I don't think I've installed anything clean and not from an image in a long time. Could be fun! Thank you for the tips! I'd rather add my own storage anyway.
Its not the manufactures...its microsoft...they provide a clean copy of windows via the media creation tool. you dont need a key once w10 was activated on that machine at any time...it stores machine specific info from the motherboard...

Reaction score
Its not the manufactures...its microsoft...they provide a clean copy of windows via the media creation tool. you dont need a key once w10 was activated on that machine at any time...it stores machine specific info from the motherboard...
Will I be able to get away with adding the 256 gb Crucial SSD to this: HP 570-p033w - Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz 16GB RAM and possibly let the wife do some surfing and not run into issues with it multitasking?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Will I be able to get away with adding the 256 gb Crucial SSD to this: HP 570-p033w - Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz 16GB RAM and possibly let the wife do some surfing and not run into issues with it multitasking?
Ideally you want a machine with Windows Pro so you have more control over the updates... And no you don't want anyone using that machine for surfing or anything else it should be dedicated to blueiris... Otherwise I guarantee you will run into problems... You can purchase in HP Elite desk I-5 6500 for 200 or less....buy two of them and you can give your wife her own machine

Reaction score
Ideally you want a machine with Windows Pro so you have more control over the updates... And no you don't want anyone using that machine for surfing or anything else it should be dedicated to blueiris... Otherwise I guarantee you will run into problems... You can purchase in HP Elite desk I-5 6500 for 200 or less....buy two of them and you can give your wife her own machine
Guess I will have to put my Google Fu into another gear. Lol

smole

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Please post some links, the only HP Elitedesks 6500 i found on ebay were not $200...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Please post some links, the only HP Elitedesks 6500 i found on ebay were not $200...
This fluctuates by day...you need to do your own legwork. Also look at prodesk. I purchased two i5-6500 elitedesk systems about two or 3 months ago, for about 185...

MCGidley

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm completely new to surveillance cams but am working on setting up an 8 cam system for my business. Looked at NVR packages, but they all seem to suck at exporting and reviewing. So I researched Blue Iris and think this is the way to go. So Ive been reading up on this post to figure out hardware needed for an 8 cam system. Picking up from Fenderman's post I am looking at an Elitedesk 800 G1 tower i5-6500 3.20Ghz with Win 10 home. I can;t find any less expensive ones with Pro. I'll then swap in a WD Purple 4TB HDD. It would be a dedicated unit just for the surveillance system. And if I understand right, I can go ethernet into a Cisco WS3750-24 PS-E POE Switch and then out to the POE cams. Does that all work? I tried to build in some headroom for adding more cams later...

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm completely new to surveillance cams but am working on setting up an 8 cam system for my business. Looked at NVR packages, but they all seem to suck at exporting and reviewing. So I researched Blue Iris and think this is the way to go. So Ive been reading up on this post to figure out hardware needed for an 8 cam system. Picking up from Fenderman's post I am looking at an Elitedesk 800 G1 tower i5-6500 3.20Ghz with Win 10 home. I can;t find any less expensive ones with Pro. I'll then swap in a WD Purple 4TB HDD. It would be a dedicated unit just for the surveillance system. And if I understand right, I can go ethernet into a Cisco WS3750-24 PS-E POW Switch and then out to the POW cams. Does that all work? I tried to build in some headroom for adding more cams later...
Yes

Redman

n3wb
Reaction score
This fluctuates by day...you need to do your own legwork. Also look at prodesk. I purchased two i5-6500 elitedesk systems about two or 3 months ago, for about 185...
I am interested in the specs of these prodesk-s. Are these the 800 G2 or G3-s? Desktop of mini-tower? Would you please post an URL to one of the items you purchased? It would make a good example.

This one seems to match suggested HW requirements ( and your description/price range):
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Tower / Core i5-6500 3.20GHz / 8GB + 500GB HDD Win 10 Home @ $233

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
I found this one:
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF i5-6500 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 128GB SSD Windows 10 Pro @ 224.50
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF i5-6500 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 128GB SSD Windows 10 Pro | eBay

This one may have been better, but it's 4th gen and may consume more power vs the 6th gen above:
HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF Core i7-4790 3.60GHz 8GB 160GB SSD & 500GB HDD W10 Pro @ $220.98
HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF Core i7-4790 3.60GHz 8GB 160GB SSD & 500GB HDD W10 Pro | eBay

Is a SquareTrade warranty at $39.99 for one year or $57.99 worth it for any of these purchased on eBay?

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I found this one:
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF i5-6500 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 128GB SSD Windows 10 Pro @ 224.50
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 SFF i5-6500 3.2GHz 8GB RAM 128GB SSD Windows 10 Pro | eBay

This one may have been better, but it's 4th gen and may consume more power vs the 6th gen above:
HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF Core i7-4790 3.60GHz 8GB 160GB SSD & 500GB HDD W10 Pro @ $220.98
HP ProDesk 600 G1 SFF Core i7-4790 3.60GHz 8GB 160GB SSD & 500GB HDD W10 Pro | eBay

Is a SquareTrade warranty at $39.99 for one year or $57.99 worth it for any of these purchased on eBay?
the warranty is not worth it at all...
the 4790 will never support intel h.265 acceleration...you need 6th gen and up.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.