Blue Iris Live and Playback is Choppy or skipping

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
So it is not a BI problem if it is the same with VLC.

Looks like a low frame rate on the cams. You could use the BI Status window to see what the FPS reported is.
The Cams are set to 20FPS internally and BI says 20.10FPS Bit Rate 613.55kb/s
I have noticed that if I raise the cams up to 25(max FPS) intenally and then adjust Blue iris it gets better, but the glitch is still there slightly.

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
I have noticed that if the IFRAME is the same as the cam FPS that the "choppy frame" comes in shorter increments. If I put the cam FPS at 25fps and the IFRAME at 50FPS then the "choppy frame" is farther apart. I tried doing IFRAME at 100FPS and it was in less increment but was a harder "Choppy frame" like frames missing in between. Which is what I would expect.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Can you post your camera settings?

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It would be helpful to see the actual Dahua gui windows.

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
Completely safe to do. It won't harm your pc.
The way I have it now is - PC plugs into my Router. From the Router a Cable runs thru the attic to the garage and plugs into the POE Switch #5 port. And the 2 cams plug into #2 & 3 ports. Is this correct for the "final" way? Not for testing things.

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
all switches can be daisy chained.
OK here is what I did that has helped the most.
1) I turned the FPS to 25 and the Iframes to 50
2) I lowered the Bit Rate to 1792 instead of 4096

There is a slightly noticeable glitch every so often. I'm not sure I solved the problem, just making it livable. What's next to try?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
OK here is what I did that has helped the most.
1) I turned the FPS to 25 and the Iframes to 50
2) I lowered the Bit Rate to 1792 instead of 4096

There is a slightly noticeable glitch every so often. I'm not sure I solved the problem, just making it livable. What's next to try?
The bitrate should not make it better unless one of your devices (router or switch) was choking on the bitrate.

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The way I have it now is - PC plugs into my Router. From the Router a Cable runs thru the attic to the garage and plugs into the POE Switch #5 port. And the 2 cams plug into #2 & 3 ports. Is this correct for the "final" way? Not for testing things.
So I am confused. The second drawing you submitted shows the PC plugged into the switch. Do you have two cables that run through the attic to the garage where the switch is?

Did you ever simply move the cable from the router that runs through the attic, and plug it into the PC? We want to eliminate the router as it may be choking the bit rate.

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
So I am confused. The second drawing you submitted shows the PC plugged into the switch. Do you have two cables that run through the attic to the garage where the switch is?

Did you ever simply move the cable from the router that runs through the attic, and plug it into the PC? We want to eliminate the router as it may be choking the bit rate.
The Switch is located in the garage on top of the cabinets. What I did was ran a Cable thru the house down the hallway from the switch in the garage to the PC (GREEN wire). The wire with the (RED X) is the one removed.

Last edited: