Blue Iris Live and Playback is Choppy or skipping

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
So I am confused. The second drawing you submitted shows the PC plugged into the switch. Do you have two cables that run through the attic to the garage where the switch is?

Did you ever simply move the cable from the router that runs through the attic, and plug it into the PC? We want to eliminate the router as it may be choking the bit rate.
Do you think it could be the switch?

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I don't know anything about your camera model but, you could bring it to the PC and power it in some other manner. Eliminate the switch. See what you get.Connect directly to the PC with some other power method.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Were you able to pull the GTX970 video card and use onboard Intel graphics with HA enabled as @NoloC suggested back on Wed. 10/17 ? If there is no onboard Intel video or CPU does not support Quicksync, see if the NVidia control panel will let you adjust/disable/enable one of its features, specifically 'Adaptive VSync'.

From the NVidia site about your card's 'Adaptive VSync':

"Adaptive VSync

Nothing is more distracting than frame rate stuttering and screen tearing. The first tends to occur when frame rates are low, the second when frame rates are high. Adaptive VSync is a smarter way to render frames using NVIDIA Control Panel software. At high framerates, VSync is enabled to eliminate tearing. At low frame rates, it's disabled to minimize stuttering. For a superior solution, which eliminates stuttering, tearing and the addition of VSync-related input lag, see our G-SYNC technology page."

Last edited:

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
Were you able to pull the GTX970 video card and use onboard Intel graphics with HA enabled as @NoloC suggested back on Wed. 10/17 ? If there is no onboard Intel video or CPU does not support Quicksync, see if the NVidia control panel will let you adjust/disable/enable one of its features, specifically 'Adaptive VSync'.

From the NVidia site about your card's 'Adaptive VSync':

"Adaptive VSync

Nothing is more distracting than frame rate stuttering and screen tearing. The first tends to occur when frame rates are low, the second when frame rates are high. Adaptive VSync is a smarter way to render frames using NVIDIA Control Panel software. At high framerates, VSync is enabled to eliminate tearing. At low frame rates, it's disabled to minimize stuttering. For a superior solution, which eliminates stuttering, tearing and the addition of VSync-related input lag, see our G-SYNC technology page."
So i would set Blue Iris to "Nvidia Cuda" in the "Cam Propeties" "Video" tab?

Another thought/question is that my Cat6 UL 100% copper wcables run thru the attic and they do crossover several (4-6) electric 110v lines. Would this cause any problems, or would it be so small that it wouldn't matter??

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I think we have seen BI has nothing to do with this so don't worry about that setting. Use VLC for testing.
3770 cpu has quicksync support so pull the video card and use MB video connectors for monitor. Would be an interesting test as @TonyR suggested. Clever!
The AC lines in the attic are not a likely factor.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So i would set Blue Iris to "Nvidia Cuda" in the "Cam Propeties" "Video" tab?
Won't hurt to try it.

Another thought/question is that my Cat6 UL 100% copper wcables run thru the attic and they do crossover several (4-6) electric 110v lines. Would this cause any problems, or would it be so small that it wouldn't matter??
Cross 110VAC lines at right angles; when you have to run parallel to any do so at no closer than 3 feet.

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
I generally use managed switches..this ads a bit of complexity but more functionality.
This 5 port is suitable if you are using 3 cams https://www.amazon.com/5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Managed-GS1200-5HP/dp/B01INVLPU6?th=1
Ok I purchased this switch Zyxel 8port Switch 70w POE+ (GS1900-8HP)

I left all the camera setting alone for this testing. I plugged in the cameras and setup the Switch. After 12hrs of recording on all 3 cameras the results are the same as the "OLD" switch. I'm not saying the new switch isn't better, but the problem still exists.

Could this be a Camera problem (all 3 DahuaSD22404T-GN) ?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I purchased this switch Zyxel 8port Switch 70w POE+ (GS1900-8HP)

I left all the camera setting alone for this testing. I plugged in the cameras and setup the Switch. After 12hrs of recording on all 3 cameras the results are the same as the "OLD" switch. I'm not saying the new switch isn't better, but the problem still exists.

Could this be a Camera problem (all 3 DahuaSD22404T-GN) ?
Record the video to SD card in the camera... Then post both the blue iris video and SD card video for comparison

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
Record the video to SD card in the camera... Then post both the blue iris video and SD card video for comparison
There is no SD card in any of the cameras. So if I put an SD card in the camera, and its the same way on the SD card then its the cameras?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no SD card in any of the cameras. So if I put an SD card in the camera, and its the same way on the SD card then its the cameras?
There is no way you have 3 defective cameras you have a better chance of winning the lotto....it would just show that the video is normal for a fast traveling vehicle at the distance to the camera and at that specific frame rate. If walking in from of the camera does not generate any choppiness then its fine.

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
There is no way you have 3 defective cameras you have a better chance of winning the lotto....it would just show that the video is normal for a fast traveling vehicle at the distance to the camera and at that specific frame rate. If walking in from of the camera does not generate any choppiness then its fine.
I appreciate your Help, What setting would I change in the new switch so that the built in Easy4IP works? Before I was able to view the cams on my smartphone via Easy4IP and inside the onboard cameras settings it said "Online" now that i have Installed the new switch it say "Offline" this is inside the cameras actual interface not blue iris. what setting inside the switch would I need to change to get this to work again?

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
Was a setting in the actual camera. The default Gateway was not set for the router. I changed the router's IP.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I appreciate your Help, What setting would I change in the new switch so that the built in Easy4IP works? Before I was able to view the cams on my smartphone via Easy4IP and inside the onboard cameras settings it said "Online" now that i have Installed the new switch it say "Offline" this is inside the cameras actual interface not blue iris. what setting inside the switch would I need to change to get this to work again?
You don't want or need easy4ip.. just log into the camera directly.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You should setup a proper VPN to use, not Easy4ip. It should be turned off.
See this VPN Primer for Noobs and this: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are the changes I have made that made everything 100% better. I set all cameras to 264H instead of the 265. This made all the fast travel smooth and with hardly any chop unless really fast. I also set blue iris up to intell+VPP and all cameras are also setup to Intel+VPP.

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
You should setup a proper VPN to use, not Easy4ip. It should be turned off.
See this VPN Primer for Noobs and this: How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) | IP Cam Talk
Is there a tutorial for setting up your Blue Iris AND your router for the Web Server so i don't have to use Easy4IP? I cannot get it working to save my life. I have tried everything. I couldn't get the BI App to work either. I am stupid to Port Forwarding so please be detailed or point me to a good Tutorial on this site, Thank You :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a tutorial for setting up your Blue Iris AND your router for the Web Server so i don't have to use Easy4IP? I cannot get it working to save my life. I have tried everything. I couldn't get the BI App to work either. I am stupid to Port Forwarding so please be detailed or point me to a good Tutorial on this site, Thank You :)
the blue iris mobile is one of blue iris best features.
you either need to port forward the webserver port as explained in the help file or better yet, use vpn, see the vpn primer for noobs thread to make it very secure.

HeadZombie

n3wb
Reaction score
Here are the changes I have made that made everything 100% better. I set all cameras to 264H instead of the 265. This made all the fast travel smooth and with hardly any chop unless really fast. I also set blue iris up to intell+VPP and all cameras are also setup to Intel+VPP.
Any replies to why this may have fixed the issue?

DognamedTank

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Changing the encoding to h264 reduced the CPU power required to decode in BI. Also, your processor wasn't able to use hardware acceleration to the decode the H265 because of its age. So by switching to H264 and turning on the intel Quicksync, you reduced the bottle neck that you had before that showed up as the choppy video. With few cameras, the VPP also helps reduce the load.

As explained in the BI help file:
If you have an Intel processor and stream from H.264 cameras, you will likely see lower CPU usage if you enable the Intel HD hardware acceleration feature. The choices are No, Yes, or Yes with Video Post Processing (VPP). The VPP setting additionally moves the post-decode color space conversion from NV12 to RGB32 into hardware as possible. In a benchmark test of 12 cameras (a mix of 2MP, 720p and several SD) processing 1.9 MB/s of video, the average 25% CPU usage becomes 20% with just the hardware decoding, but is further lowered to 16% when VPP is added, for a total reduction on CPU demand of 36%. With fewer cameras and bandwidth, the gains are even more dramatic (50% or more). With higher demands however, perhaps with more than 20 cameras and 3MB/s, the performance advantage of adding VPP becomes negligible, and may actually being to worsen performance as the CPU's ability to perform video tasks becomes the bottleneck over CPU cycles. For this reason, you may choose to override this default setting and use hardware decoding with or without VPP on a per camera basis, perhaps to assist with your most demanding resolution and frame rate cameras.