blue iris main benefits over current model NVR?

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey guys,

putting together a new system, and leaning towards going the PC / blue iris route from all the recommendations on the forum.

What are the main benefits over a current generation dahua NVR? I will only have 4 video feeds so dont know if ill need the extra processing power of a PC. also the NVR option is much cheaper as it already has the POE to power the cameras.

blue iris pc $275
poe switch $125
blue iris software $50

total $450 vs $145 for the NVR

is the extra cost worth it? especially for someone who isn't a power user, but just wants reliable motion/trip wire.

TIA for any input.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

putting together a new system, and leaning towards going the PC / blue iris route from all the recommendations on the forum.

What are the main benefits over a current generation dahua NVR? I will only have 4 video feeds so dont know if ill need the extra processing power of a PC. also the NVR option is much cheaper as it already has the POE to power the cameras.

blue iris pc $275
poe switch $125
blue iris software $50

total $450 vs $145 for the NVR

is the extra cost worth it? especially for someone who isn't a power user, but just wants reliable motion/trip wire.

TIA for any input.
This has been discussed to death in many threads. Depending on the cams, you can very likely use a 100 dollar pc. A poe switch is 40-60 bux. So the math is wrong.
My suggestion to everyone who has seen BI and not convinced, is to get an NVR. Use it. When you throw it against the wall, move to BI. You will appreciate it more.

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I would prefer to buy the PC with an OS ($225-275 12% tax up here), the poe switch would be nice to have an 8 port with 2 uplink (125$). by the time the smoke clears it would be close to 450.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I would prefer to buy the PC with an OS ($225-275 12% tax up here), the poe switch would be nice to have an 8 port with 2 uplink (125$). by the time the smoke clears it would be close to 450.
Nope. Please read the posts about pc's. This pc for example says no OS, but you can clearly see the windows pro stick for w10. That means w10 will load on it. No problem.
HP EliteDesk 600 G1 SFF i5-4590 @ 3.30 GHz 4GB RAM 250GB HDD | eBay
Only god knows why you need 2 uplink. Do you even know what that means?
regardless, one of the switches he mentioned have "two uplink".
Please do yourself a favor and buy the NVR. Otherwise you will always say what if. This way you will learn the hard way, but it will stick.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm with Fenderman on this one. Get an NVR.

If your not willing to take the advise given then why ask the questions in the first place? You clearly were shown in 10 seconds of searching we both found computers more than capable of what you need that were nowhere close to 225-275CA.

Then you say you only need 4 cameras and where shown options for a cheaper 4 port switch with even 2 up links, then you say you need 8 ports?

Where exactly are you looking at buying your equipment from?

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Chill guys,

The reason I said 8 was just in case I ever ended up needing to add another camera. two up-link - one to router and one to PC .

@fenderman if you look close that sticker is for windows 8, but still W10 would no doubt probably work - but what does windows 10 cost? that PC is $168.91 CAD with no OS and duty fees once it enters Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/BV-Tech-Gigabit-Ports-Switch-Uplink/dp/B0754P9KLN/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1549130979&sr=8-15&keywords=8+port+poe+switch

HP Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF i5 4590 3.3ghz 8GB 1tb Win 10 Pro 1yr Wty Cert Refurbish | eBay my bad 218$

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Like anything, you get what you pay for and this is true with any camera or recorder.

You will be happy with Blue Iris, but if your worried about cost and dont mind limited features, a cheap nvr might be all your need

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks @Dasstrum that looks like a good deal. maybe a little slower and no windows 10 but probably a few bucks to be saved there. thanks for the heads up on being able to use one of the POE ports.

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I personally have used i5-3470 in about 10 installs now and it works perfectly fine.

Most builds are 4mp 1440p cams @ 15fps.

4 of those cameras @ 240MP/sec total run that processor at like 20%

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Chill guys,

The reason I said 8 was just in case I ever ended up needing to add another camera. two up-link - one to router and one to PC .

@fenderman if you look close that sticker is for windows 8, but still W10 would no doubt probably work - but what does windows 10 cost? that PC is $168.91 CAD with no OS and duty fees once it enters Canada.

https://www.amazon.ca/BV-Tech-Gigabit-Ports-Switch-Uplink/dp/B0754P9KLN/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1549130979&sr=8-15&keywords=8+port+poe+switch

HP Elitedesk 800 G1 SFF i5 4590 3.3ghz 8GB 1tb Win 10 Pro 1yr Wty Cert Refurbish | eBay my bad 218$
again you post 218, when the link I sent you was 128 OR BEST OFFER and will work. Its is clear you dont want to use a vms. BUY THE NVR ALREADY.

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
again you post 218, when the link I sent you was 128 OR BEST OFFER and will work. Its is clear you dont want to use a vms. BUY THE NVR ALREADY.
your link was 128 usd = 168.91 CAD as I stated above + duty fees. up here in Canada anything over 20$ coming into the country gets nailed. its much better to buy within the country, that's why for $218 you get a powerful machine ready to go with warranty and windows 10.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
your link was 128 usd = 168.91 CAD as I stated above + duty fees. up here in Canada anything over 20$ coming into the country gets nailed. its much better to buy within the country, that's why for $218 you get a powerful machine ready to go with warranty and windows 10.
you are 100 percent correct. Get the NVR already. You are also correct in the ebay is the only resource in canada for used pc's. Its all good. An NVR is best for you. Its the perfect learning tool. Warranty from an ebay seller, dont make me laugh.

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
They are Microsoft authorized, and can be trusted :p

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
They are Microsoft authorized, and can be trusted :p
certainly. Never had to use hp warranty on over 100 machines...totally worth it to pay 25 percent more for it:rolleyes:..its irrelevant get the nvr. Please.

HelloAgain

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I've tried the NVR route twice; once with Lorex and a second time with LaView. Both times I returned the NVR. NVR's are fine if you plan to stay very simple, use the same camera brand as the NVR, and plug the cameras into the NVR. For me, that wasn't the case I needed something more flexible. I wanted to use some old TrendNet and Foscam cameras that I had laying around, but the NVRs wouldn't allow me to so with full support. IE: Neither would work with the old Trendnet, and the Laview would would work with the Foscam camera, however motion detection wasn't support.

It was all a very frustrating experience. Their hardware and feature set was very dated and tech support sucked. I downloaded BlueIris and have been very happy. It worked immediately with my old Cams as well as a Samsung GS2 phone that I installed a 'webcam' software onto for the heck of it. I love the flexibility of BI. BI is also updated far more frequently than any NVR would be.

BI isn't perfect, the UI is a little clunky and rough in some spots, but I'm loving it so far. The people on this forum have also been amazing in supporting me as I ask my newbie questions.

clean

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thanks for all the reply's.

one thing im wondering - and might be in favor of the NVR..... being that NVR's are mostly Linux based I would think that they would run a little more stable then say a 24/7 running windows box? do you guys ever have any crashes? that could be very annoying. Granted I couldn't see that happening often , just that windows isn't as stable as these one program Linux box's?