Blue Iris UI3

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
This works great on my tablet and phone and I absolutely love it but I tried it on my TV through my Android box and I got a pop up message that my CPU is not powerful enough for a live stream.
I'm using a Minix U1 Android box which has specs stating it can handle 4k streaming @ 60 fps and runs a 64 bit Quad Core Cortex A53 Processor so I was kind of surprised at the message.

What are the minimum specs required for running this web UI?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What are the minimum specs required for running this web UI?
A web browser.

This works great on my tablet and phone and I absolutely love it but I tried it on my TV through my Android box and I got a pop up message that my CPU is not powerful enough for a live stream.
I'm using a Minix U1 Android box which has specs stating it can handle 4k streaming @ 60 fps and runs a 64 bit Quad Core Cortex A53 Processor so I was kind of surprised at the message.
The vast majority of Android devices rely on hardware acceleration for video decoding. Unfortunately hardware acceleration is unavailable to UI3 because browsers don't expose their video capabilities at a low enough level for UI3's needs. All the video decoding has to happen on the CPU, and unfortunately all on one thread too.

Your phone and tablet probably have faster CPUs which would be why they don't get warnings.

Last edited:

Dazcomputers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks this program ROCKS!111111 I tried it last night and love my first couple uses. Very nice replacement from the other version. Very easy to use. Im going to deploy it and use it live in my friends bar today. Keep up the Amazing work. I never stop learning something new and cool with this program.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A web browser.

The vast majority of Android devices rely on hardware acceleration for video decoding. Unfortunately hardware acceleration is unavailable to UI3 because browsers don't expose their video capabilities at a low enough level for UI3's needs. All the video decoding has to happen on the CPU, and unfortunately all on one thread too.

Your phone and tablet probably have faster CPUs which would be why they don't get warnings.
Thanks. I was wondering that too...does my phone have a better CPU than my Android box. I do not yet know the full CPU specs of the Android box but I imagined if it was 4k@60fps streaming capable then this UI should not be a concern but clearly something lacking in the box CPU.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, the simple fact is most Android devices, even TV boxes that plug into the wall, run very low power CPUs that were designed for battery-powered handhelds. Honestly we're lucky they can handle UI3's H.264 playback at all. It is likely to be years yet before we can use a more efficient video decoder.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Is there another option to view the web UI on my LED\LCD 4k tv?
I have availability to run a HDMI cable to the TV but the computer's video card only has 1 HMDI out which is used by the computer monitor. (And that option would not allow me to control it anyway).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there another option to view the web UI on my LED\LCD 4k tv?
I have availability to run a HDMI cable to the TV but the computer's video card only has 1 HMDI out which is used by the computer monitor. (And that option would not allow me to control it anyway).
that will do it on the cheap since you can get hdmi from the pc to the tv...
https://www.amazon.com/HD-102-Powered-Splitter-Certified-Support/dp/B005HXFARS/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522099478&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=hdmi+splitter&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, HDMI splitter. Keep in mind your TV and monitor will both receive the same signal which means it has to be the same resolution on both displays. If you need to remotely control the PC I suggest a wireless mouse, maybe with a USB extension cord if the dongle needs to be closer.

Cougar281

n3wb
Reaction score
I upgraded to UI3 a week or two ago while it was still beta, and simply put, it's awesome. The web interface was probably where BluIris is/was lacking the most IMO. I do find that using IE, the bandwidth utilization is far better - Firefox using JPegPull pegs my sisters 2Mbps upload speed. But I did run into a strange issue on one of the two BlueIris installs I have up. Whenever I try to click a camera to make it the only one displayed, on one of them, I get the error in the attached pic. As the image indicates, that BI instance is running 4.7.2.0. What's odd is my other BI instance, which is running 4.6.9.4, from the same computer (Win 7 32-bit), same browser (IE 11.0.9600.18738), same browser window, just different tab, I can click on the cameras and it works as expected, no errors. This (mis)behavior was present in the beta version and persisted after updating to the 'non-beta' version recently posted.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I upgraded to UI3 a week or two ago while it was still beta, and simply put, it's awesome. The web interface was probably where BluIris is/was lacking the most IMO. I do find that using IE, the bandwidth utilization is far better - Firefox using JPegPull pegs my sisters 2Mbps upload speed. But I did run into a strange issue on one of the two BlueIris installs I have up. Whenever I try to click a camera to make it the only one displayed, on one of them, I get the error in the attached pic. As the image indicates, that BI instance is running 4.7.2.0. What's odd is my other BI instance, which is running 4.6.9.4, from the same computer (Win 7 32-bit), same browser (IE 11.0.9600.18738), same browser window, just different tab, I can click on the cameras and it works as expected, no errors. This (mis)behavior was present in the beta version and persisted after updating to the 'non-beta' version recently posted.
Thanks for the report. It is a strange bug, quite possibly involving a mathematical rounding error in Blue Iris, UI3, or both. One way or another, a certain canvas drawing operation is failing due to receiving bad image coordinates. I'm thinking this only occurs if you click a camera that is touching one or more edges of the video frame, and it may also depend on the specific size of your browser window. Also, it probably only happens in IE. And only sometimes.

UI3 Version 3 (available in a few minutes) should have this fixed. I can't reproduce the problem myself without deliberately injecting invalid coordinates into the function, so I can't be sure. At your convenience, please let me know if this fix works in IE. Also try clicking near the borders of the individual cameras in your group frame and make sure the right camera gets maximized. If the wrong camera (or no camera) gets maximized when you click on one, it could indicate a more serious problem with the coordinates.

Also, IE can't do H.264 playback in UI3 so its efficiency will be similar to jpegpull. I suggest Chrome, Opera, or Safari for the best results.

Cougar281

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the report. It is a strange bug, quite possibly involving a mathematical rounding error in Blue Iris, UI3, or both. One way or another, a certain canvas drawing operation is failing due to receiving bad image coordinates. I'm thinking this only occurs if you click a camera that is touching one or more edges of the video frame, and it may also depend on the specific size of your browser window. Also, it probably only happens in IE. And only sometimes.

UI3 Version 3 (available in a few minutes) should have this fixed. I can't reproduce the problem myself without deliberately injecting invalid coordinates into the function, so I can't be sure. At your convenience, please let me know if this fix works in IE. Also try clicking near the borders of the individual cameras in your group frame and make sure the right camera gets maximized. If the wrong camera (or no camera) gets maximized when you click on one, it could indicate a more serious problem with the coordinates.

Also, IE can't do H.264 playback in UI3 so its efficiency will be similar to jpegpull. I suggest Chrome, Opera, or Safari for the best results.
UI3-3 appears to have resolved the issue. When clicking the feeds, I get the proper result, and clicking around near the edges of each feed brought up the proper camera. The cameras involved, if it helps in any way, are Speco O4D1 4MP IP Cameras.

As for the bandwidth usage, did something change between the beta and UI3-2? I'd swear that IE was pulling like 500Kbps and Firefox was pulling pretty much the 2Mbps limit, but now IE is also pulling pretty much the limit.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Nothing changed except that one bug fix, which wouldn't affect bandwidth usage in any way. IE is incompatible with UI3's H.264 streaming, and that will never change since IE was superseded by Edge. Firefox is compatible, it currently requires setting some flags (described in the first post) because the required features are too new and the Firefox developers didn't want them to be enabled for everyone yet. I expect some time within the next year or so, that will change.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I tried UI3 in the browser of my new LG 49" 4k. (browser just says LG browser 2.02)
It opens to the live tab but displays no cameras. No error messages, just black where the camera cluster would initially appear. I can see a list of clips on the clips tab and they animate when pointed to but selecting one does not do anything.
I tried the other 2 streams w lower settings but same.
Maybe not a powerful enough CPU, like my tablet or Android box, but those both throw the specific errors.
Not sure what to try or look at next since there is no error message produced.
I'm on current BI and UI versions.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that is odd. The main video area is an HTML5 canvas, but so is the clip animation, so if one works then the other should work as well ... especially if you don't get any error messages. Blue Iris's status panel, connections tab should have a row for your TV's web server connection. Do you see the "Frames" count going up?

Maybe the TV is reporting bad window size values or something. If you "mouse over" the bottom of the video area does the toolbar appear with the fullscreen button and stuff?

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The FPS count & bar was constantly changing. I do not recall if the toolbar was there or not.
I will check it out tonight and take a few pics to post. Thanks

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That sounds right, but just not seeing it as or displaying an error.
Let me know if there is anything specific you would like to know or have me check tonight when I look at it again.

Reaction score
I've been using UI3 for a few weeks. The only comment I have is degraded video quality, when compared to the standard BI web interface. H.264 is selected. I looked around at the various settings, but couldn't find anything specific to address the issue. It's possible, however, that I need a dunce cap, and have missed how to modify the setting.

I really like the various controls, ability to get clips, etc, from the web interface instead of having to be on the BI server.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The default settings for the H.264 streaming profiles are pretty poor quality and UI3 can't touch them. You can have much better image quality if you change the Streaming Quality Option to Jpeg Best Quality however then you lose audio and the frame rate is likely to drop a lot.

You can also improve the quality of the H.264 streams. Look in the main menu > Help > Video Player topic. The section "H.264 Streaming Profiles" tells you where to go to configure the settings. Higher bit rate = better quality.