Blue Iris UI3

fd3

n3wb
Reaction score
is there any url commands that can be used to say open ui3 to a certain group in full screen or a particular camera?
ie. 127.0.0.1/ui3.htm?camera01 or ?group01 etc?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
is there any url commands that can be used to say open ui3 to a certain group in full screen or a particular camera?
ie. 127.0.0.1/ui3.htm?camera01 or ?group01 etc?
Go to UI3 screen, upper right corner and click on 3 dots, click on "Help", click on "More Topics", click on "URL Parameters".

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just noticed something happening with UI3 that I wanted to see if others are seeing. If I right click a paused video from my alerts pane and copy the image address, then paste in a browser, the time stamp from the screenshot image versus where I had the video paused in UI3 is different.

With my rear camera, the time was off by 12 seconds.
With my son's camera, the time was off by 37 seconds.

Anybody happen to take note of that or have any idea why?

For the record, all of my cameras on the live view in UI3 are currently reporting the same time. My "main" server at home which houses all backups, centralized storage, etc., is a Linux box which also runs NTP. The cameras are configured to update their NTP settings with my local 'nix server every 10 minutes. At the moment everything is synced and looks good. The time for the BI system is also correct as well. Because of these elements I'm not sure where the gap would be derived from. Anybody seeing the same thing by chance or is this isolated that I may need to dig deeper?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@jasauders Hard to say for sure. When you copy an image, open in new tab, etc, it uses BI's jpeg snapshot URL whereas typically when you are streaming video it uses an H.264 stream. This is often off by a frame or two but not multiple seconds. Are you using the setting to combine multiple alerts into one clip? I don't do that myself usually so there might be a bug in there when dealing with alerts that are later in a clip.

jasauders

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think I'm on to something, at least as far as identifying where the gap originates from. When I was testing this with recent alerts, there was almost always a consistent time gap. But... if I try this with a much older alert, or if I try this from any clip that is not the most recent, the time matches exactly. If I copy the image address on the most recent clip or a number of recent alerts, the time almost always does not match.

I'm seeing a pretty clear divide here. If I copy image address on the most recent clip, the time is off, but that clip is still being "written" to by Blue Iris. Clip #2 and any older clips are fine and the times match. Of course with alerts it's difficult to know offhand which exact clip that alert resides on, BUT much older alerts that are certainly on an older clip that would have been definitely "completed" or closed from recording with Blue Iris, the time matches then.

So I'm thinking the line in the sand is whether the clip_of_origin is still being written to by Blue Iris or not. If it is, times are wonky. If it's done and Blue Iris continued onward with a new clip, the times seem to match fine.

Not sure how fix-able or needed this is, but since I raised the question I wanted to share what I'm seeing. :)

philipzeo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi bp2008. I just noticed something with the audio and I'm not sure if it is by design or not.
I have a hidden camera in a noisy area that the video does not show up in UI3, but when I turn on audio at the main screen (All cameras group) I hear audio from the hidden camera.
If I select a group, I only hear audio from that group and If I add the noisy camera to a group I hear it as well.
I wasn't expecting to hear audio from the hidden cameras.

cagenuts

n3wb
Reaction score
Has there been a recent change in UI3 regarding the H.264 streaming profile? I suddenly can't see H.264 streams using Edge, IE or Firefox. Only Chrome now works and I can't use Jpeg streams for remote installations as the data used is too much. Any ideas please? I'm running Version 4.8.4.7 and I noticed this behaviour with the previous version as well.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking the line in the sand is whether the clip_of_origin is still being written to by Blue Iris or not.
Oh, yes, that absolutely would cause this effect. As BI writes to a clip it continuously gets longer and therefore its percent playback position changes. Improving upon how UI3 handles this is on my to-do list.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting to hear audio from the hidden cameras.
UI3 has no control over this, but you should be able to solve it by going to BI's camera properties > Audio tab and unchecking the "Webcast audio" box for any camera you want to remain silent.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Has there been a recent change in UI3 regarding the H.264 streaming profile? I suddenly can't see H.264 streams using Edge, IE or Firefox. Only Chrome now works and I can't use Jpeg streams for remote installations as the data used is too much. Any ideas please? I'm running Version 4.8.4.7 and I noticed this behaviour with the previous version as well.
Yes, there was.

A bug in Edge was discovered where it leaves H.264 streaming connections open even after being instructed to close them. So anything that would cause a stream to be reloaded, such as changing the quality or maximizing a specific camera, would leak a huge amount of resources. Therefore since mid-December (UI3 version 64) H.264 streaming has been disabled in Edge versions newer than 17. You can re-enable it in UI3's settings panel if you want, though I do not recommend it due to the extreme performance problems caused by the connections-left-open bug.

IE and Firefox behavior should not have changed. H.264 has never been an option in IE. It has also never been an option in Firefox unless you enable the necessary streaming features in Firefox's about:config page. Then at that point it gains the ability to stream H.264 but it has other issues with low-delay playback which cause UI3 to force a 1-second keyframe interval which makes the video look really jumpy. So if you want to stream H.264 well in UI3 you need to use a browser based on Chromium such as Chrome, Opera, Brave, or indeed Chromium itself.

Zanthexter

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I finally figured out why UI3 was going crazy when I connected from home. I had turned on load balancing between Comcast and AT&T troubleshooting something the other day and forgotten to set it back to failover. The same session running from different IPs did not make it happy.

Sooo, if you're getting crazy weird errors, try disconnecting your second internet provider. ;)

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Funny, I wouldn't have expected that type of load balancer to cause a problem, unless each of the internet connections is routing to a different place such that half the connections don't reach Blue Iris at all.

lb88

n3wb
Reaction score
Running into an issue where on some phones ui3 cannot login using the carriers service but on wifi only, is there a work around to this? it says redirecting and then goes back to the login page. both were tested using chrome / firefox on android.

Also is there a way to access the log file directly without loading the cameras or clips. I manage several blue iris servers that have limited bandwidth so remoting in to check the log file while a client is streaming causes problems.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Also is there a way to access the log file directly without loading the cameras or clips. I manage several blue iris servers that have limited bandwidth so remoting in to check the log file while a client is streaming causes problems.
Should be able to manage this with the mobile apps.

Running into an issue where on some phones ui3 cannot login using the carriers service but on wifi only, is there a work around to this? it says redirecting and then goes back to the login page. both were tested using chrome / firefox on android.
Never seen that before. I can't even guess what would fix it.

lb88

n3wb
Reaction score
I wrote off the login issue as an anomaly until i was told it happened on more than just my phone, could for whatever reason it be looking for the lan address and not the wan address on the carrier service? is there a way to force it to use the wan address to test this theory? i do have the app and see benefits using both interfaces, i frequently use ui3 for quick testing on other devices.

reverend

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If it is Android devices you can install packet capture software which will generate a file you can view in Wireshark - if it's just affecting your install it also could be whatever is involved in the path between the Blue Iris server and device, ie firewall, web application firewall, iSP etc.

Albert Einstien

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I just happened upon a strange problem. I just added another camera and added two presets. As seen in UI3presets a.jpg the two presets are covered (marked). If I hover the mouse over one of them, I get a preview of that preset, as seen in UI3preset b.jpg. However the preview is incorrect as it was before I got it properly set up and I can't find how to refresh it. But the other thing I'm puzzled by is, I have two other cameras of the same make and model, previously installed, and the presets have no mark over them, and if I hover the mouse over one, I get the preset description not the preview windowUI3 presets a.jpg ui3 presets b.jpg ui3 presets c.jpg , as seen in UI3presets.jpg c.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I wrote off the login issue as an anomaly until i was told it happened on more than just my phone, could for whatever reason it be looking for the lan address and not the wan address on the carrier service? is there a way to force it to use the wan address to test this theory? i do have the app and see benefits using both interfaces, i frequently use ui3 for quick testing on other devices.
The login page works with relative paths so it should not matter in the slightest what the address is.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Albert Einstien
The snapshot is saved when you set the preset through Blue Iris (or UI3). If the snapshots are missing or out of date, you must set them again. You can do this in UI3 by long-pressing the preset button or by right clicking and choosing the Set option in the context menu.

So just goto and re-set each preset to update their snapshots.