Blue Iris UI3

ccutrer

n3wb
Reaction score
Nope, UI3 can't know the actual timestamp until each video frame arrives (and then it only knows for H.264 streams, not JPEG).
I'm not sure what this has to do with anything. UI3 is presenting my list of clips to me, with the length of each clip, and the start timestamp of that clip (see screenshot 1). Once I click that clip, it loads up and starts playing. The scrubber at the bottom now shows my current offset into the clip, the total length, and allows me to hover (and then click) on any point in that clip to seek (see screenshot 2). It's just math. Instead of showing 1:59 as the current position, show 6:23:32AM + 1:59 = 6:25:31:AM. Instead of showing 6:28 as my about-to-seek-position, show 6:23:32A + 6:58 = 6:30:00AM. Or do both - the offset, with the calculated timestamp in parenthesis.

...and now I just realized what you mean about the actual timestamp. I'm assuming continuous recording (like I said earlier). But if you're not doing continuous recording, BI can stuff non-contiguous pieces into a single clip. So, this still seems super useful, as there are enough people that do continuous recording. Add as an option in UI3: "Calculate and show timestamps for clips (requires continuous recording)"?

screenshot1.PNG screenshot2.PNG

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@ccutrer
I'll think about it. Might be able to work without a setting. Blue Iris tells me both the clip's true duration and the amount of time it covers, so UI3 could guess with reasonable accuracy if a clip was recorded continuously or if it was assembled from separate motion events.

ccutrer

n3wb
Reaction score
@ccutrer
I'll think about it. Might be able to work without a setting. Blue Iris tells me both the clip's true duration and the amount of time it covers, so UI3 could guess with reasonable accuracy if a clip was recorded continuously or if it was assembled from separate motion events.
Ooooohhhhhhh!
aliens.gif

nethfel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,
First off I love UI3 - I had been using ui2 for a very long time and had just recently updated my BI which now has ui3! Awesome interface, and thrilled with the functionality of it.

I do have a question - I saw the settings for idle timeout - is this stored per user or per site? I ask because I was thinking of having a single system on during the day with a "monitor" account that had no idle timeout (so I could monitor the cameras) but if at all possible anyone else that logged in at other locations be defaulted to an idle timeout so that there wasn't too much extra load on the system.

ccutrer

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
First off I love UI3 - I had been using ui2 for a very long time and had just recently updated my BI which now has ui3! Awesome interface, and thrilled with the functionality of it.

I do have a question - I saw the settings for idle timeout - is this stored per user or per site? I ask because I was thinking of having a single system on during the day with a "monitor" account that had no idle timeout (so I could monitor the cameras) but if at all possible anyone else that logged in at other locations be defaulted to an idle timeout so that there wasn't too much extra load on the system.
Per browser. I have to set it for each browser I log in with, even using the same user.

nethfel

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Per browser. I have to set it for each browser I log in with, even using the same user.
Ok, well that's not bad at least - means I won't have to worry about setting it on the monitor system and it being set that way for everyone on other systems...

monument

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, and let me add my thanks to the long list.
Is there an API to control UI3? i want to run multiple display clients, and control them both locally (in room) and remotely from Homeseer and/or Harmony.
Main function would be to select the camera/group being displayed. Likely other things once i get started.
I know I can control BI but i want each display controlled independently.
Sorry if it should be obvious... thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
There is no way for UI3 to listen for commands from the network. Your best bet at the moment is to use UI3's URL parameters by changing the URL in the browser. See: UI3 Help

Reaction score
Hi @ll, i have a question about UI3, is it possible on the playback bar to get the correct record time instead the playback time ?? Thank you !

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi @ll, i have a question about UI3, is it possible on the playback bar to get the correct record time instead the playback time ?? Thank you !
The latest UI3 should have this, as requested earlier by @ccutrer. I haven't verified that the latest BI release includes it, but I think it does. If not you can update UI3 manually via github.

The real world timestamp only appears for contiguous clips (so, not if you record on motion detection while using combine & cut). UI3 tries to determine if the clips are contiguous by comparing the duration of the video file with the reported time covered by the clip, and if they are too dissimilar, UI3 doesn't show a real-world timestamp.

ccutrer

n3wb
Reaction score
The latest UI3 should have this, as requested earlier by @ccutrer. I haven't verified that the latest BI release includes it, but I think it does. If not you can update UI3 manually via github.

The real world timestamp only appears for contiguous clips (so, not if you record on motion detection while using combine & cut). UI3 tries to determine if the clips are contiguous by comparing the duration of the video file with the reported time covered by the clip, and if they are too dissimilar, UI3 doesn't show a real-world timestamp.
Nice. I didn't even know you had implemented this. I updated my Blue Iris this morning, and can confirm that I get timestamps on the timeline for historical clips now (but not the currently recording one, which makes sense given how you're detecting if you should add them). Thanks!!!!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@ccutrer
I did test against actively recording clips and thought it was working, since BI updates both time values at the same time they are usually pretty close to each other. Can you test further? Does the real world timestamp appear after the clip has been going for a little while, or does it pop in and out of existence, or what?

(note, it might not work if you open clips from the alerts tab due to differences in the available data)

ccutrer

n3wb
Reaction score
Ohhhhh, I bet I know. I lost a minute or two when Blue Iris restarted after updating. I'll check later today when the clips have rolled over a few time. Right now it seems like I'm missing timestamps on one of the last two clips for each camera (not necessarily the currently recording one).

JH2000

n3wb
Reaction score
First of all, belated thanks to the dev for this awesome work. Secondly, the "skip one frame" functionality does not seem to work in Chrome. It works fine in Firefox - skips one frame of video. In Chrome, the same video either skips to the beginning of the alert or the end of the alert itself (depending on if you are trying to skip forwards or back a frame).

Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
First of all, belated thanks to the dev for this awesome work. Secondly, the "skip one frame" functionality does not seem to work in Chrome. It works fine in Firefox - skips one frame of video. In Chrome, the same video either skips to the beginning of the alert or the end of the alert itself (depending on if you are trying to skip forwards or back a frame).

Anyone else have this issue? Thanks.
Working fine for me in Chrome. If you want, you can create a temporary account in Blue Iris and send me login info in a private message: https://ipcamtalk.com/conversations/add?to=bp2008

I can log in and try it in my Chrome to see if it fails and why.

xytechlegit00

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey everyone. Wondering how I can increase the quality of UI3 when I'm viewing 5 cameras at once. I have the quality to 100 on web server, I have streaming quality in UI3 at 2160p and bitrate at 4096. Looking at the 5 cameras at once it looks kind of like 720p (Google Chrome). When I put one of the cameras on full screen it looks much better but not quite at 4k resolution. Been playing around with the streaming profile setting in UI3 by setting quality to 100 but no change. It's streaming locally from my BI server on a gigabit LAN network too.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@xytechlegit00 I understand your confusion in this matter. You are missing a piece of the puzzle. Group video streams have a default frame size, and just like UI3 can't upscale an individual camera higher than its native resolution, it can't do that for a group stream either. The setting which allows you to increase the group frame size is pretty well hidden in Blue Iris's local console. UI3's help file shows where it is. Here is the relevant page hosted on github: UI3 Help

Note that increasing the group frame size does increase the CPU requirements to encode the stream, and it may limit the frame rate you are able to achieve for a group stream (depending on your server's CPU power). This setting also affects streams sent to the Blue Iris mobile apps, and the Android app in particular has been known to crash when sent video larger than 1920x1080.

I'd recommend dropping the encoding quality values back to 50. Extremely high quality settings like 100 can result in excessively high bit rates (I'm talking 20+ Mbps) if not always accompanied by a bit rate limit.

xytechlegit00

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
@xytechlegit00 I understand your confusion in this matter. You are missing a piece of the puzzle. Group video streams have a default frame size, and just like UI3 can't upscale an individual camera higher than its native resolution, it can't do that for a group stream either. The setting which allows you to increase the group frame size is pretty well hidden in Blue Iris's local console. UI3's help file shows where it is. Here is the relevant page hosted on github: UI3 Help

Note that increasing the group frame size does increase the CPU requirements to encode the stream, and it may limit the frame rate you are able to achieve for a group stream (depending on your server's CPU power). This setting also affects streams sent to the Blue Iris mobile apps, and the Android app in particular has been known to crash when sent video larger than 1920x1080.

I'd recommend dropping the encoding quality values back to 50. Extremely high quality settings like 100 can result in excessively high bit rates (I'm talking 20+ Mbps) if not always accompanied by a bit rate limit.
That definitely makes sense. I've made adjustments and the stream is smoother now and not as janky as it was before. I also disabled H.264+ on my cameras which got rid of the ghosting too. I'm a happy camper! Thanks for all your work on UI3, I'll be sending you a donation when I get my income taxes done :)