Blue Iris UI3

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
How do I get sharp video when viewing 'All cameras' live video in UI3? It looks jagged and frame rate is low like 5 fps. If I select an individual camera, it zooms in full screen, then quality looks great.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you go into the main settings --> Webserver tab --> click Configure --> set your Quality to 100% & increase the Max bitrate setting.... this will increase your CPU usage though.

I can't remember where you can increase the FPS of the UI3 right now.. Found it -- in the main settings area --> Cameras tab and increase the "Limit live preview rate..." setting (will increase CPU usage though)
Sorry, none of that is correct.

100% is an extremely unbalanced quality setting. You can't set the bit rate limit high enough for it to make any positive difference compared to 50%, and if you turn off the bit rate limit, then 100% quality will cause your streams to be HUGE and in some cases crash the remote viewing clients.

Higher quality and bit rate does not make a big difference in CPU usage normally.

The "Limit live preview rate" setting you mention only affects the local console, not UI3 or mobile apps.

Blue Iris UI3
also as noted in the webserver tab increase the max bitrate to at least 2048 or 4096
Adjusting bit rate in Streaming 0/1/2 profiles in Blue Iris makes no difference to UI3 unless you also edit UI3's streaming profiles. However it does help for Android and iOS apps.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

100% is an extremely unbalanced quality setting. You can't set the bit rate limit high enough for it to make any positive difference compared to 50%, and if you turn off the bit rate limit, then 100% quality will cause your streams to be HUGE and in some cases crash the remote viewing clients.

Higher quality and bit rate does not make a big difference in CPU usage normally.

The "Limit live preview rate" setting you mention only affects the local console, not UI3 or mobile apps.

Adjusting bit rate in Streaming 0/1/2 profiles in Blue Iris makes no difference to UI3 unless you also edit UI3's streaming profiles. However it does help for Android and iOS apps.
Hey, thanks! I had my max bitrate capped at 4096 luckily. I adjusted my encoding % back to 50%

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Its kind of fun to set quality to 100% and turn off the bit rate limit just to see where the bit rate ends up.

Here I got 36 Mbps with just a 15 FPS 4K stream. I've seen higher.

1585969229346.png

thomas2013

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Any adjustments I made to Streaming 0/1/2 then "Configure" button had no effect. Oddly, I cannot set Bitrate (kbps) above "512".

Your post #2502 helped. Every changes I made there like changing the Default max FPS took immediate effect. Checking the Specify frame size and changing the various size options helped but live video in UI3 is still low resolution/jagged. I do notice my highest settings available is "1600 x 1200" but yours is "2640 x 1088".

How do I get that "Stats for nerds" popup? Can't find it anywhere.

thomas2013

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Okay, I found Stats for nerds. Right-click viewing area brings up menu. First image is of all cameras and second one is a Hikvision 4K camera.
ui3-stats-all-camera.jpgui3-stats-4k-camera.jpg

thomas2013

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You need to type in the frame size you want.
Woohoo! Solved. In my thirty years with computers I didn't think of that. LOL. I just assumed it was a fixed dropdown. If I set the Specify frame size to the native resolution of my monitor (2560 x 1440) then is pixel perfect. However, I do notice a lot higher CPU usage once pass the highest drop down available 1600 x 1200. Thanks.

The new VBR Quality settings are awesome. Somewhere around 75% reduction in bandwidth. See attached image using 2160p VBR.
ui3-stats-vbr.jpg

Edited: added CPU usage and VBR info.

Last edited:

JayS_IPCams

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Updated BI to the latest today, and on the UI3 page, when I select one of my PTZ cameras, the Preset Icons are no longer numbers, but
Annotation 2020-04-06 084237.png

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have been using Amazon Silk Browser on my firestick 4k to run UI3 for several months. Recently it quit working and I for the life of me cannot figure out what has changed. I did get a new (used) router. But i cannot figure how that would make any difference. My Webserver works online, at home, on my phone ( samsung a50 ), and everywhere else i have tried it. Does anybody have any idea why it all of the sudden no longer works? I have tried it on firefox browser and chrome browser with no success. I have went thru my settings and i am just not sure what i am missing. as you can see and hear from the video below it is actually signing on to my webserver but gives me a blank page....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been using Amazon Silk Browser on my firestick 4k to run UI3 for several months. Recently it quit working and I for the life of me cannot figure out what has changed. I did get a new (used) router. But i cannot figure how that would make any difference. My Webserver works online, at home, on my phone ( samsung a50 ), and everywhere else i have tried it. Does anybody have any idea why it all of the sudden no longer works? I have tried it on firefox browser and chrome browser with no success. I have went thru my settings and i am just not sure what i am missing. as you can see and hear from the video below it is actually signing on to my webserver but gives me a blank page....
Have you confirmed that the ip is not being blocked by the webserver for trying the wrong password too many times? Have you tried clearing the history/cookies and trying again?

scott492010

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just cleared the history/cookies in amazon silk and restarted the firestick. no change. still the same as the video above.