Blue Iris - video blur issue

Discussion in 'Blue Iris' started by WannaTheater, Feb 7, 2019.

Share This Page

1. WannaTheater

WannaTheater Young grasshopper

Every once in a while, my alert clips show motion as blurred, i.e. if someone walks by a camera they are sharp, then there is a trail of blur. When this happens, a restart of Blue Iris seems to fix things. Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

2. th182

th182 BIT Beta Team

Following. I noticed this on a couple of my recordings as well. Hasn’t been frequent enough that I’ve tried to dig into it. I’ll be curious to see what people think it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Mike

Mike Staff Member

What kind of camera? Make sure your FPS matches your I-Frame interval. I've also seen DNR too high cause this.

Walrus likes this.
  4. WannaTheater

I take that back- Even a restart of Blue Iris is not correcting the problem. I will now be rebooting the cameras to see if it corrects things.

Cameras are Dahau DH-IPC-HDW2231R-ZS.

Settings in Blue Iris for one of the cameras:
    Max Rate 400000 [25.00 fps]
    Hardware accelerated decode: Default
    GPU: Any

Setting on the corresponding camera:
    Encode Mode: 264H
    Smart Codec: Off
    Resolution 1920x1080(1080p)
    FPS 25
    CBR
    Bit Rate: 4096 Kb/S
    I Frame Interval: 25

camera_blur.jpg

5. awsum140

awsum140 Getting comfortable

Set the encode to plain H264, not H264H.

I run my 2231 at 10FPS, VBR, 4096 max, and have no ghosting.

I just went in and looked at my 2231 and it is, indeed, set to H264H so that won't help.

Are you using hardware acceleration?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  6. DRZmaui

DRZmaui Young grasshopper

What type of Cat cable are you running? Cheap cat5e can cause ghosting. After replacing my cheap cable with solid copper Cat5e, most of my ghosting problems have gone away. Also, if your running a switch, consider upgrading your cable from the switch to the computer with a quality cat6 or 7 solid copper cable. I can really see a improvement in video quality (BTW, I"m running 15 cameras)

7. WannaTheater

Only occurs every once in awhile. Using cat5e solid- i make my own.
    Rebooting cameras didnt help this time. I have been noticing some networking issues lately on other devices. Will keep investigating.

8. Camit

Camit Pulling my weight

It’s your camera settings not BI.

9. WannaTheater

Thats just it- 90% of the time video is flawless. Camera settings havent been changed since initial confuguration.

10. Walrus

Walrus Getting the hang of it

I had this exact same thing happening with my 2231 cameras. I did two things. First, I had i-frame interval at the default of double the FPS, so I changed it to match the FPS (which you already have). I also uninstalled/rolled back my video driver to an older one at the same time. All of my ghosting is gone.

fenderman likes this.
  11. WannaTheater

Haven't tried the video driver, but rebooted yesterday morning. Ran for about 30 hours without any trails. I got one about 1/2 hour ago. But nothing since... So intermittent.

12. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

have you excluded blue iris program AND storage folders from antivirus?

13. pozzello

pozzello Getting comfortable

As Mike pointed out earlier, looks like DNR blur to me. try dialing down or disabling noise reduction in the cam...

fenderman likes this.
  14. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

You can see that artifacts in other parts of the video as well which points to dnr. A good way to test this is to see if this blur is present on the SD card recording.

15. bp2008

bp2008 Staff Member

Try setting the "Max rate" a little higher, like to 27 FPS. This increases the size of some buffer in Blue Iris and reduces the chance that a frame will be dropped. When frames are dropped, you get video corruption. The trick is when nothing is moving you probably won't even notice a dropped frame because it wasn't going to change the scene much anyway, so they could be happening all the time and you wouldn't know.

There are diagnostic tools you can use to help determine if this is a network problem. Here is one which I created myself which allows you to rapidly ping multiple devices at once and see the response times on graphs: bp2008/pingtracer Just run this and enter the IP addresses of each of your cameras, comma separated, into the Host field. Then push the start button and increase the ping rate to 10 pings per second. Any unreliable network links should be revealed pretty quickly as they will have high latency, very spiky latency, or a significant number of dropped packets.

looney2ns and fenderman like this.
  16. WannaTheater

So once today when I walked out the front door, the motion is captured on two cameras, and they both blurred. But I've walked out the front door several times today, and it only happened once. Where does one set DNR? On the Camera-> Settings -> 3D NR, and the "Grade" slider? Currently set at "ON' and grade in the middle.

Since this happened only once during the same lighting conditions, on two cameras, I am thinking it could be network. Or perhaps Windows 10 update. (I don't know exactly when this started, but I ran without issues for several months since the initial installation).

How does one set the Max FPS to 27? It is unavailable in the pull-down in blue iris. Also, one of the cameras the exhibited this behavior was at 30. The other was at 25. Will be checking out pingtracer.

I did read on another thread about when video displays "The Predator Effect," which really sums up what it looks like.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  17. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

Check the videos on the SD card... Or simultaneously record to PSS

18. WannaTheater

Thanks... haven't gotten around to installing SD cards ....
    I know... I'm a slacker.

19. WannaTheater

No issues showing up with pingtracer. Turning off hardware acceleration in Blue Iris to see if this makes a difference.

20. fenderman

fenderman Staff Member

why dont you record to dahua pss. See if the problem persists. Because its intermittent, that is the best why to narrow it down.