Blue Iris - video blur issue

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Every once in a while, my alert clips show motion as blurred, i.e. if someone walks by a camera they are sharp, then there is a trail of blur. When this happens, a restart of Blue Iris seems to fix things. Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Following. I noticed this on a couple of my recordings as well. Hasn’t been frequent enough that I’ve tried to dig into it. I’ll be curious to see what people think it could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
What kind of camera? Make sure your FPS matches your I-Frame interval. I've also seen DNR too high cause this.

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I take that back- Even a restart of Blue Iris is not correcting the problem. I will now be rebooting the cameras to see if it corrects things.

Cameras are Dahau DH-IPC-HDW2231R-ZS.

Settings in Blue Iris for one of the cameras:
Max Rate 400000 [25.00 fps]
Hardware accelerated decode: Default
GPU: Any

Setting on the corresponding camera:
Encode Mode: 264H
Smart Codec: Off
Resolution 1920x1080(1080p)
FPS 25
CBR
Bit Rate: 4096 Kb/S
I Frame Interval: 25

camera_blur.jpg

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Set the encode to plain H264, not H264H.

I run my 2231 at 10FPS, VBR, 4096 max, and have no ghosting.

I just went in and looked at my 2231 and it is, indeed, set to H264H so that won't help.

Are you using hardware acceleration?

Last edited:

DRZmaui

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What type of Cat cable are you running? Cheap cat5e can cause ghosting. After replacing my cheap cable with solid copper Cat5e, most of my ghosting problems have gone away. Also, if your running a switch, consider upgrading your cable from the switch to the computer with a quality cat6 or 7 solid copper cable. I can really see a improvement in video quality (BTW, I"m running 15 cameras)

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Only occurs every once in awhile. Using cat5e solid- i make my own.
Rebooting cameras didnt help this time. I have been noticing some networking issues lately on other devices. Will keep investigating.

Camit

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It’s your camera settings not BI.

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thats just it- 90% of the time video is flawless. Camera settings havent been changed since initial confuguration.

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had this exact same thing happening with my 2231 cameras. I did two things. First, I had i-frame interval at the default of double the FPS, so I changed it to match the FPS (which you already have). I also uninstalled/rolled back my video driver to an older one at the same time. All of my ghosting is gone.

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Haven't tried the video driver, but rebooted yesterday morning. Ran for about 30 hours without any trails. I got one about 1/2 hour ago. But nothing since... So intermittent.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Haven't tried the video driver, but rebooted yesterday morning. Ran for about 30 hours without any trails. I got one about 1/2 hour ago. But nothing since... So intermittent.
have you excluded blue iris program AND storage folders from antivirus?

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
As Mike pointed out earlier, looks like DNR blur to me. try dialing down or disabling noise reduction in the cam...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As Mike pointed out earlier, looks like DNR blur to me. try dialing down or disabling noise reduction in the cam...
You can see that artifacts in other parts of the video as well which points to dnr. A good way to test this is to see if this blur is present on the SD card recording.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Try setting the "Max rate" a little higher, like to 27 FPS. This increases the size of some buffer in Blue Iris and reduces the chance that a frame will be dropped. When frames are dropped, you get video corruption. The trick is when nothing is moving you probably won't even notice a dropped frame because it wasn't going to change the scene much anyway, so they could be happening all the time and you wouldn't know.

There are diagnostic tools you can use to help determine if this is a network problem. Here is one which I created myself which allows you to rapidly ping multiple devices at once and see the response times on graphs: bp2008/pingtracer Just run this and enter the IP addresses of each of your cameras, comma separated, into the Host field. Then push the start button and increase the ping rate to 10 pings per second. Any unreliable network links should be revealed pretty quickly as they will have high latency, very spiky latency, or a significant number of dropped packets.

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So once today when I walked out the front door, the motion is captured on two cameras, and they both blurred. But I've walked out the front door several times today, and it only happened once. Where does one set DNR? On the Camera-> Settings -> 3D NR, and the "Grade" slider? Currently set at "ON' and grade in the middle.

Since this happened only once during the same lighting conditions, on two cameras, I am thinking it could be network. Or perhaps Windows 10 update. (I don't know exactly when this started, but I ran without issues for several months since the initial installation).

How does one set the Max FPS to 27? It is unavailable in the pull-down in blue iris. Also, one of the cameras the exhibited this behavior was at 30. The other was at 25. Will be checking out pingtracer.

I did read on another thread about when video displays "The Predator Effect," which really sums up what it looks like.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So once today when I walked out the front door, the motion is captured on two cameras, and they both blurred. But I've walked out the front door several times today, and it only happened once. Where does one set DNR? On the Camera-> Settings -> 3D NR, and the "Grade" slider? Currently set at "ON' and grade in the middle.

Since this happened only once during the same lighting conditions, on two cameras, I am thinking it could be network. Or perhaps Windows 10 update. (I don't know exactly when this started, but I ran without issues for several months since the initial installation).

I did read on another thread about when video displays "The Predator Effect," which really sums up what it looks like.
Check the videos on the SD card... Or simultaneously record to PSS

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks... haven't gotten around to installing SD cards ....
I know... I'm a slacker.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
No issues showing up with pingtracer. Turning off hardware acceleration in Blue Iris to see if this makes a difference.
why dont you record to dahua pss. See if the problem persists. Because its intermittent, that is the best why to narrow it down.