Blue Iris - video blur issue

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Good idea- can PSS and Blue Iris run on the same server simultaneously without conflict?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try setting the "Max rate" a little higher, like to 27 FPS. This increases the size of some buffer in Blue Iris and reduces the chance that a frame will be dropped. When frames are dropped, you get video corruption. The trick is when nothing is moving you probably won't even notice a dropped frame because it wasn't going to change the scene much anyway, so they could be happening all the time and you wouldn't know.

There are diagnostic tools you can use to help determine if this is a network problem. Here is one which I created myself which allows you to rapidly ping multiple devices at once and see the response times on graphs: bp2008/pingtracer Just run this and enter the IP addresses of each of your cameras, comma separated, into the Host field. Then push the start button and increase the ping rate to 10 pings per second. Any unreliable network links should be revealed pretty quickly as they will have high latency, very spiky latency, or a significant number of dropped packets.
@bp2008,
What am I missing, at your link, for PT, there doesn't seem to be an executable for the program. Yeah, I'm dense.
Thank you.

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure this is a problem with Blue Iris hardware acceleration. Been running for a few days with no hw acceleration and no issues. Will turn it back on and let it run.

Perhaps something broke during OS update.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
@looney2ns I'm glad I have company!

bp was kind enough to point me in the right direction. Once I tried it I thought it wasn't working, nothing on the graph. Then I realized there weren't any problems to be graphed. DUHHHH

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What am I missing, at your link, for PT, there doesn't seem to be an executable for the program. Yeah, I'm dense.
Thank you.
On Github you need to go to the Releases tab to find releases. If you've downloaded the source code there won't be an exe!

bp was kind enough to point me in the right direction. Once I tried it I thought it wasn't working, nothing on the graph. Then I realized there weren't any problems to be graphed. DUHHHH
Hehe, yup, a graph that is just a line of 0ms ping responses isn't very eye-catching, but you should see one pixel of green for each 0ms response.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
:offtopic:

I have three inexpensive cameras. Two are SV3C, 2mp, and one is a no-name, 4mp. All three lose signal on a sporadic basis, I see "signal restored" messages for all three sporadically in the BI log. All three are on cables terminated by me. After using Brian's PingTracer on all three for a day at a time I've come to the conclusion that it is a hardware problem with those three POS cameras. Thanks for a great tool, Brian.

I need a bigger "toy" budget!

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
After performing tests for several days, I can comfortably say this is an issue with the hardware accelerated decode setting in Blue Iris.

Hardware accelerated decode (restart): Intel.... Blurring/Trailing/Predator effect is present.
Hardware accelerated decode (restart): No.... Issue goes away.

Last edited:

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman!!! That did the trick. I rolled the video driver way back to version 21.20.16.4664.
All seems to be working again- no trailing predator effect.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman!!! That did the trick. I rolled the video driver way back to version 21.20.16.4664.
So rolling back your Intel driver resolved this issue? What chip do have?

WannaTheater

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Computer: ASRock H270M-ITX/ac
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz
Chipset: Intel® 200 Series Chipset Family
Graphics: Intel® HD Graphics 630
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio
Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB, WDC WD40PURZ-85TTDY0

Had issues with:
Intel HD Graphics 630
  • Driver Version: 25.20.100.6373 and
  • Driver Version: : 25.20.100.6323
Installed the following driver version from the Blue Iris FAQ:
6th Generation (Skylake) / 7th Generation (Kaby Lake)
Driver Version 15.45.18.4664 is known to be good: <15.45.18.4664: Intel® Graphics Driver>

This removed the following:
  • Intel HD Graphics 630 (25.50.100.6323)
  • Intel Display Audio (10.26.0.1)
And installed:
  • Intel HD Graphics 630 (21.20.16.4664)
  • Intel Display Audio (10.22.1.97)
Windows 10 auto update must have updated my original build drivers recently, which looks like it is the cause of the issue.

The Intel Driver and Support page indicates that "Intel will be supplying Windows DCH Drivers for its products beginning in November. These drivers will be used for
Windows® 10 and Windows* Server 2019 and will replace the existing drivers."

Not sure if it has anything to do with the issue, but perhaps this is related? (pure speculation)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Great! Dont forget to follow the directions to prevent windows from updating the driver.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
see the wiki for the correct driver for your generation
Where in the wiki? Control+F for "driver" doesn't give many hits and none that seem relevant.

I have Intel UHD Graphics 630, running the latest driver - 26.20.100.6912 and I have terrible problems (every motion alert clip) with jutter on the object in motion. See these videos: video 1, video 2. Happens in both the IPC-HDW2231R-ZS and the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I'm using BI5 on a Elitedesk 800 G4, i5-8500; only the 2 cameras running so far.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Where in the wiki? Control+F for "driver" doesn't give many hits and none that seem relevant.

I have Intel UHD Graphics 630, running the latest driver - 26.20.100.6912 and I have terrible problems (every motion alert clip) with jutter on the object in motion. See these videos: video 1, video 2. Happens in both the IPC-HDW2231R-ZS and the IPC-HDW5231R-ZE. I'm using BI5 on a Elitedesk 800 G4, i5-8500; only the 2 cameras running so far.
memory leak quicksync. Your issue is likely not driver related. You need to match the iframe interval and fps as well as disable any smart codec.

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
memory leak quicksync. Your issue is likely not driver related. You need to match the iframe interval and fps as well as disable any smart codec.
Tried matching iframe to fps. Smart Codec was already disabled. Receive Buffer set to 20MB per other posts. No change in video.

Trying H.264 instead of H.264H. BTW - running also on Surveillance Station on Synology DS718+ with no issues in the feed/recordings. Though the SS is hardwired to the router and my BI PC is wifi for now (working to move next to router; need monitor there or figure out remote viewing from another computer).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Tried matching iframe to fps. Smart Codec was already disabled. Receive Buffer set to 20MB per other posts. No change in video.

Trying H.264 instead of H.264H. BTW - running also on Surveillance Station on Synology DS718+ with no issues in the feed/recordings. Though the SS is hardwired to the router and my BI PC is wifi for now (working to move next to router; need monitor there or figure out remote viewing from another computer).
wifi is likely the cause of this and should have been mentioned first. You are feeding multiple cameras over wifi to the machine..packets will drop.