Blue Iris Video Tutorials

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have temporarily stopped making new videos since Blue Iris v.5 has been announced for a release date in June. Look forward to making new videos with the new software soon! Thanks again for all the feedback.

Hello everyone, I've noticed that there are not a lot of video tutorials out there for Blue Iris. I have started a project of creating short (less than 10 minute) videos on different features and functions of BI.

Edit: I've been asked multiple times about ways to donate to support future videos. If you would like to donate/have donated thank you for your generosity. You can donate via paypal @ dasstrum@gmail.com

Thanks again for all the support. Hope these videos help!

A view video ideas I've come up with are:
Basic settings and layout
Reviewing recorded video and exporting
Alerts and setting up text messages on motion
Motion detection settings
Video playback
Tips and Tricks
ect...

Here are the videos released so far:

1. basic layout and design

2. How to review and export

3. Working with profiles

4. Working with profile schedules

5. Triggers: Basics of Motion Detection

6. Quick Tip: Saving and restoring settings

7. Camera Resolution/Megapixel

8. Triggers: Object Detection

9. Installing UI2/3 remote view web page

10. Zones and Hotspot

11. Zone Crossing

12. Record Tab Basics

13. Clips and Archiving Part 1

14. Clips and Archiving Part 2

15. Flagging and Protecting Clips

16. Picture/Text on Motion Detection

17. Watchdog Feature

18. Web Interface (UI3)

19. Web Commands (PTZ presets and Triggers)

20. Cloning Cameras... WHY?

21. Geofencing

22. Zone Crossing Part 2

23. Stunnel

24. Blue Iris Tools: Part 1 - Overview and Weather Overlay

25. Blue Iris Tools: Part 2 - Watchdog

I am open to feedback and suggestions/ideas for future videos and content.

Last edited:

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I might have to redo the first video because I noticed when I talk about Inactive profile by default the cameras do not stop displaying live view. This must be turned off in each camera in the schedule tab and uncheck "Continue to display and stream video while inactive"

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@fenderman

I am going to start work on a working with Profiles video. Do you have any tips or areas in particular that you think I should cover? I plan on going over:

Disabling/hiding certain camera while in a profile (Like hiding indoor cameras while at home)
Changing recording settings while in a profile (continuous/when triggered)
Triggers - Example: Turning off text alerts on indoor camera/front door camera while in "At Home" profile

Then start work on how the profiles fit in with the schedule

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@fenderman

I am going to start work on a working with Profiles video. Do you have any tips or areas in particular that you think I should cover? I plan on going over:

Disabling/hiding certain camera while in a profile (Like hiding indoor cameras while at home)
Changing recording settings while in a profile (continuous/when triggered)
Triggers - Example: Turning off text alerts on indoor camera/front door camera while in "At Home" profile

Then start work on how the profiles fit in with the schedule
sounds perfect

gotitmadecij

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Great Idea ,Subscribed in You Tube!

Hello everyone, I've noticed that there are not a lot of video tutorials out there for Blue Iris. I have started a project of creating short (less than 10 minute) videos on different features and functions of BI.

A view video ideas I've come up with are:
Basic settings and layout
Reviewing recorded video and exporting
Alerts and setting up text messages on motion
Motion detection settings
Video playback
Tips and Tricks
ect...

I have already created 2 videos:

1. basic layout and design
2. How to review and export
I am open to feedback and suggestions/ideas for future videos and content.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is fantastic...thank you! I've been fumbling through wishing I could just have someone walk me through all the different settings.

jrf

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sure do.

CAMERA SETUP

TRIGGERING...man I have been fumbling around. Trust me...I've read the help screen 15 times. It's written for someone that understands a lot of this already...def not newbie friendly. Things like when or why does it trigger? If I setup zones does it only use zones? can it only use zones? does it always trigger on motion in any zone that is painted? how is the hot zone different.... since triggering is one of the most important aspects.​

VIDEO:
Image Format:
Area of interest: (why)
forcing the size
I think the flipping and 360 makes sense
max rate (is that for viewing or recording? why change it? advantages/disadvantages)
rotate seems obvious
Delay(??)
H.264 decode? bvr? (my help doesn't even have anything for this)
graphic overlays seem obvious​

RECORD - much of the same...​

that would be a great place to start for me.....lol sorry you asked....

Thanks again...

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sure do.

CAMERA SETUP

TRIGGERING...man I have been fumbling around. Trust me...I've read the help screen 15 times. It's written for someone that understands a lot of this already...def not newbie friendly. Things like when or why does it trigger? If I setup zones does it only use zones? can it only use zones? does it always trigger on motion in any zone that is painted? how is the hot zone different.... since triggering is one of the most important aspects.​

VIDEO:
Image Format:
Area of interest: (why)
forcing the size
I think the flipping and 360 makes sense
max rate (is that for viewing or recording? why change it? advantages/disadvantages)
rotate seems obvious
Delay(??)
H.264 decode? bvr? (my help doesn't even have anything for this)
graphic overlays seem obvious​

RECORD - much of the same...​

that would be a great place to start for me.....lol sorry you asked....

Thanks again...
Perfect! Great ideas. And I can cover pretty much all of those! Triggers are a big subject and most likely will be broken down over a few videos. Maybe something like "Trigger Basics" and "Advance trigger settings."
Triggers also play a huge roll in alerts.

I will be releasing a "Profiles" video in a couple days then a "schedules" video.

I can then start working on your requested content :)

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Could you do one on Web server?
Hey Chris1,

I actually install Blue Iris camera systems as a small business on the side. My videos were originally intended to help my current customers better understand the features that the system can do. Making a video on the web server, how to add camera, setting up static camera IP and how to manage DHCP, ftp server... ect. are the services that we provide (plus of course the installation and design of the systems)

I would rather keep my videos on how to use and personalize Blue Iris rather than how to set it up from scratch

AlpineWatch

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for this. I was using Milestones Essentials 2016 but it expires tomorrow and I cannot for the life of me get the 2017 R3 version installed.
Switching to BI on an I5-4690.