Blueiris 5 memory leak

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Clean fresh install of of Windows, using the Microsoft Media creation tool.
Machine is dedicated to BI only.
Exclude all BI folders from any antivirus.
You perform all of these: Optimizing Blue Iris's CPU Usage | IP Cam Talk
See the many other threads here about memory issue's.
My BI system runs up to 60 days without issue, and we use UI3, and the app daily. No problems

Reaction score
"My BI system runs up to 60 days without issue..."
Just curious: what happens around the 60-day point? An inquisitive newb wants to know :oops:

I haven't yet downloaded my first copy of BI yet (I just recently got my dedicated machine and six "Andy" cams), but I've been lurking for months and gleaning as much as possible from your posts, your reviews, the Wiki, the Cliff Notes, and Southern Yankee's standard "welcome" post :)

I'm just preparing for what to expect once I install and run BI on my first-ever surveillance system.

Thanks!

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just curious: what happens around the 60-day point? An inquisitive newb wants to know :oops:

I haven't yet downloaded my first copy of BI yet (I just recently got my dedicated machine and six "Andy" cams), but I've been lurking for months and gleaning as much as possible from your posts, your reviews, the Wiki, the Cliff Notes, and Southern Yankee's standard "welcome" post :)

I'm just preparing for what to expect once I install and run BI on my first-ever surveillance system.

Thanks!
It's never been caused by an issue with BI. Something besides BI cause's a reboot, either windows update or power outage. It has ran as long as 120 days without outside forces causing a reboot.
:)

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's never been caused by an issue with BI. Something besides BI cause's a reboot, either windows update or power outage. It has ran as long as 120 days without outside forces causing a reboot.
Go here, and on the right, sort by "age" on the right and be amazed. :)
I believe the age refers to how long ago the data was obtained. Not the uptime.

wh@tever

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I found a lead on the issue. I have multiple 7tb hdds that I record the footage to. It appears when the hdds are full eventually the memory leak happens even though blueiris is set to overwrite and delete. Its day 2.5 and no issues after formatting the hard drives and this longest blueiris 5 has worked without crashing.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I found a lead on the issue. I have multiple 7tb hdds that I record the footage to. It appears when the hdds are full eventually the memory leak happens even though blueiris is set to overwrite and delete. Its day 2.5 and no issues after formatting the hard drives and this longest blueiris 5 has worked without crashing.
Make sure you leave adequate free space

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wh@tever

Are you only allocation 90% of each hard drive to BI as recommended ?

Please provide a screen shots. full frame (use windows 10 snip & sketch tool)
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top),
2) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph) clip storage
3) blue Iris status cameras

rmalbers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wow, that's great work figuring out that it's a disk space usage bug!

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If it was a true disk space utilization bug everyone would have the problem. My system has been up for a week since the last upgrade and no memory links, I am at full disk utilization. It is more than likely a configuration problem. The poor configuration may indicate a possible boundary bug.

rmalbers

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A memory leak is a bug, it could be in the OS or the application or even in the compiler or any combination, but a memory leak is a bug I can assure you. Anyone who writes code will tell you that, period, end of story. If a given config causes a memory leak, that's a bug, period, end of story.

Anrothan

n3wb
Reaction score
Google search lead here. I've been having issues with crashes for the last few days on a very solid 8700k / 1080ti system. No trouble with Blue Iris for a few years and no trouble with BI5 until now. I can literally watch Blue Iris eat through RAM in task manager. 4GB in about three minutes. If I let it, it will eat through 27GB+ before crashing my system. This is a memory leak. I wiped Blue Iris with Revo Uninstaller and reinstalled, same result.

Does Blue Iris use .NET? If so, a recent update to the .NET software may have caused it. Since .NET isn't crashing the other programs I run on a regular basis, I'm going to assume it's code in BI5 not meshing with the update.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Google search lead here. I've been having issues with crashes for the last few days on a very solid 8700k / 1080ti system. No trouble with Blue Iris for a few years and no trouble with BI5 until now. I can literally watch Blue Iris eat through RAM in task manager. 4GB in about three minutes. If I let it, it will eat through 27GB+ before crashing my system. This is a memory leak. I wiped Blue Iris with Revo Uninstaller and reinstalled, same result.

Does Blue Iris use .NET? If so, a recent update to the .NET software may have caused it. Since .NET isn't crashing the other programs I run on a regular basis, I'm going to assume it's code in BI5 not meshing with the update.
Your issue is not the same as the OP or others in this thread. You dont say what version of blue iris you are on. If you are on the latest update and have been updating using auto update that is your problem. The last few updates are bad. Disable auto update and revert to a known good version. There is a thread on this issue.

Anrothan

n3wb
Reaction score
Charming...I'll look for the latest known good version. Or just wait for the developer to work out the kinks. Took me a bit to figure out what was crashing my system...might enjoy the stability for a while.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Charming...I'll look for the latest known good version. Or just wait for the developer to work out the kinks. Took me a bit to figure out what was crashing my system...might enjoy the stability for a while.
You can enjoy stability 24/7 if you disable auto updates and wait before installing updates. This common sense approach works wonders for those who dont suffer from update OCD. I run over 20 blue iris systems with zero issues because of these basic steps.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, this thread is several months old, but I came here because I started having issues with BlueIris consuming all memory. I first wanted to address this statement from fenderman. Just because it is working on your system, does not mean there isn't a problem. Just ask Microsoft about that.

I have been running BI on a system for several months with no issues. But sometime last week, the system stop responding and you could hear the disk thrashing. I was never able to get the system to respond so had to power cycle it. After getting it back up, the disks were thrashing again after an hour. I decided to try running BI on a different system that has been up for over a year with no problems. Within a few hours, it became unresponsive and memory usage was showing at 100%. I had to power cycle the system to get it working again. The only thing that changed on this system was the addition of BI. So from my point of view, there is something going on involving BI. The new system has a 500GB drive with 50% free. I have the new clips saving on it with a 10GB limit. After that, it sends the files to my NAS that has 12TB of space. When this was happening, BI had transfered two clips (only have two cameras right now) and each was 4GB in size.
You fail to understand that while the only thing you may have added is blue Iris, The software is using drivers For decoding that your other software is not using.