BlueIris memory leak?

Reaction score
Upon first starting the BlueIris service, it uses about 2 GB of memory. After leaving the service running for 24 hours, that memory usage jumps up to 7-8 GB, and then it just keeps climbing. At one point it maxed my server's ram (32GB) using like 25GB and I was forced to restart my server since it was unresponsive. Any ideas on this?

I'm running Windows Server 2012 R2, Xeon E3-1225 V3, 32GB ram, 3x4MP cameras, 1x3MP camera, 3x1MP cameras. For the time being I've been working around this issue by manually stopping/restarting the BlueIris service every day or two, but I'd really like to not have to do that...

Running BlueIris version 4.3.9.0 x64.

Reaction score
I did report it to support. But I wanted to see if anyone else was having this issue.

brent112

n3wb
Reaction score
I am having the exact same issue. I reported it however was told that nobody else has reported any issue like this so there was not much that could be done until i do some troubleshooting (which i have not had time to do). I have 5 cameras, all Hikvision 4MP. If you reported it have you received any insight on to what it might be?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
This seems oddly familiar. I think it is caused by re-encoding video and not using direct to disk. Maybe. If that is true and someone can confirm, it would help the developer narrow down the cause.

Reaction score
As an update to this, I was able to narrow down the problem to "Intel HD hardware acceleration" option, inOptions -> Cameras -> Intel HD hardware acceleration (restart)

Previously this was set to "Yes (H.264)" but some days ago I set it to "No" and now BlueIris process stays around 2GB memory usage, although the cpu usage is definitely higher.

A few days ago I manually enabled hardware acceleration for one of my Foscam 1MP cameras, and the issue came back, but the memory usage went up slowly (i.e. right now sitting at 3GB instead of jumping to 10GB+ overnight).

For clarification, I am not re-encoding the video, I am using the direct-to-disk option. If anyone has more ideas then let me know to test.

Reaction score
Same problem here.

AMD x6 running 8GB of RAM with 3 cameras direct to disk.

Version release 4.3.9.5 64bit

ghus

n3wb
Reaction score
Have not been able to figure out a way to switch the memory leak on and off. It always does it for me. 12G in 2 days. Have to restart the service every couple of days. Have tried hardware acceleration on/off to no avail. Have 5 cameras connected. 4 re-encode to h264 and only 1 records to disk.

ghus

n3wb
Reaction score
Lets see if the latest update 4.3.9.7 fixes this. In my setup no matter acceleration settings it gobbles up the world of memory in a matter of 3 days. Do we know the release notes for each update by the way? I was looking at 4.3.9.7 and I could not find detailed description associated with this.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Lets see if the latest update 4.3.9.7 fixes this. In my setup no matter acceleration settings it gobbles up the world of memory in a matter of 3 days. Do we know the release notes for each update by the way? I was looking at 4.3.9.7 and I could not find detailed description associated with this.
There are no updates on minor increments.....

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Running BI 4.4.3.3 on Win7-64 and I'm getting the memory leak with HW acceleration on. Does anyone know if there is a fix?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Running BI 4.4.3.3 on Win7-64 and I'm getting the memory leak with HW acceleration on. Does anyone know if there is a fix?
This tread is from july..if you believe there is a memory leak you should email support.

Reaction score
No official fix, but I can give you two workarounds:

1. Disable hardware acceleration and hope you have enough CPU to spare.
2. (my current workaround) Create a scheduled task with Windows Task Scheduler to restart the BlueIris service everyday. Or more specifically, create a batch file with these contents:

net stop "Blue Iris Service"
net start "Blue Iris Service"

Then create a task to run that batch file every day, preferably at a time that doesn't overlap with your recordings and the time you specified for BlueIris to "Compact/Repair database" (this defaults to 2:00AM). e.g. I have my recordings set to cut every 30 minutes, so as long as I don't restart BlueIris at 12:00, 12:30, 1:00, 1:30, etc. then I should be okay I think.

I also noticed that even if I run that batch file then it's not a guarantee that BlueIris service will start back up again; for some reason, probably due to the memory leak bug, it can take the BlueIris service a long time (over a minute) to actually stop. So to resolve this, I simply specified in Windows Task Scheduler to run the restart script twice a day, with a few minutes apart in between. For me I set it to 1:49AM and 1:51AM every day.

I think a more robust solution would be to setup a watchdog service, but this seems to work fine so far, 2 months later.

If these two options are not acceptable to you (which they shouldn't be acceptable to anyone who paid for their product) then try to email support like fenderman said. I don't think they will do anything though because I haven't heard back from my support ticket in 2 months, so if the workarounds don't work for you then you might want to consider another product. I hate to say it because BlueIris is a good product with a ton of features, but their support has not been very supportive.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
]

If these two options are not acceptable to you (which they shouldn't be acceptable to anyone who paid for their product) then try to email support like fenderman said. I don't think they will do anything though because I haven't heard back from my support ticket in 2 months, so if the workarounds don't work for you then you might want to consider another product. I hate to say it because BlueIris is a good product with a ton of features, but their support has not been very supportive.
What have you done to follow up? This "leak" is NOT affecting all users. I dont have this issue.
Support has always been super responsive. Just look at other users who get quick responses. Check your email spam.

Reaction score
What have you done to follow up? This "leak" is NOT affecting all users. I dont have this issue.
Support has always been super responsive. Just look at other users who get quick responses. Check your email spam.
The last response from them was "Thanks, this allows me to focus a test." That was 2 months ago. No word on any results or any further testing or anything.

I am not the only one experiencing this memory leak issue, as made evident by the other people who have posted in this thread.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The last response from them was "Thanks, this allows me to focus a test." That was 2 months ago. No word on any results or any further testing or anything.

I am not the only one experiencing this memory leak issue, as made evident by the other people who have posted in this thread.
So send a follow up email. This post has only a handful of users reporting the issue.

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
This tread is from july..if you believe there is a memory leak you should email support.
I did right before I posted here.

I had to turn off hardware acceleration as it was leaking about 10mbyte every 5 seconds.