BlueIris memory leak?

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I had the memory leak but in my case it was fixed with a fresh reinstall of Blue Iris, no problems since then..
I upgraded to the latest version and same thing.

If I run it as a service I can't run hardware acceleration because there is a bug with Win7 AND HW acceleration. I'm lucky, I'm running less than 20% CPU with acceleration disabled and memory usage stays constant at around 680mb. As soon I turn off running it as a service and turn on hardware acceleration, the server lives about 65 minutes and then dies due to a massive memory leak.

Blue Iris support told me in response to not being able to run Win7 and HWA that he was focused on Win10 which truely sucks. I REALLY don't want to upgrade to Win10.

bdorring

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the same issue.
I just replaced my motherboard, CPU and RAM and now have the memory leak. I didn't have it previously.

Running Windows 10 with all updates. Running latest version of Blueiris.
i5-6600 CPU, 16GB of ram, Asrock h170 motherboard.
8 cameras (hikvision). All recording direct to disk.
As soon as i enable hardware acceleration, it leaks approx 5MB every second. It will consume all ram available on the PC (13-14GB). At that stage it will either purge the RAM or crash (which then blueiris automatically restarts). With hardware acceleration enabled, CPU usage is much less (CPU down from 60% to 35% with acceleration enabled). Doesn't matter if I run as a service or standalone. Memory leak in both situations.

I have e-mailed support and their suggestion was to ensure antivirus wasn't the issue. I am not running any, other than Defender. I have tried to disable but that didn't fix problem.
I have also re-installed blueiris but that hasn't helped.

At the moment, i am running blueiris without hardware acceleration. Currently using 60% CPU. Ram is constant at about 2.5GB.
I have tried both hardware acceleration options, but both have the RAM leak issue.

What motherboard is everyone else using that has this issue?
Are you using onboard video card, or external video card? I am using on-board which is listed at "intel HD Graphics 530" in device manager. Anyone on similar configuration?

Previously (when didn't have the issue), i was using external video card and asus motherboard.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the same issue.
Are you using onboard video card, or external video card? I am using on-board which is listed at "intel HD Graphics 530" in device manager. Anyone on similar configuration?

Previously, i was using external video card and asus motherboard.
I have a very similar setup running a Gigabyte GB-H110-A motherboard and an i3-6100 with HD Graphics 530 using onboard graphics with no external card. Maybe there is a bug with BI and the Intel 100 series chipset, I've got all of the latest drivers.

bdorring

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I upgraded to the latest version and same thing.

I REALLY don't want to upgrade to Win10.
At least you know it affects me as well, running Windows 10.
It is interesting we are using same onboard video card. I will plug a video card in over the weekend, and see if that resolves it. Not sure my new motherboard will accept my very old video cards though.

Hopefully I will get some help from ken as well.

SpinnerRow

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
At least you know it affects me as well, running Windows 10.
It is interesting we are using same onboard video card. I will plug a video card in over the weekend, and see if that resolves it. Not sure my new motherboard will accept my very old video cards though.

Hopefully I will get some help from ken as well.
I was asked to upgrade to the lastest version 4.4.4.2 and that didn't make any difference. If I hear anything back from support, i"ll post it here.

bdorring

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
BTW, where does blueiris get it's CPU percentage from? My CPU is sitting on 60% (blueiris process) without GUI open, 65% with GUI open. But within the BlueIRIS GUI, it says it is using 15% CPU. Ram is accurate though in blueiris GUI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
BTW, where does blueiris get it's CPU percentage from? My CPU is sitting on 60% (blueiris process) without GUI open, 65% with GUI open. But within the BlueIRIS GUI, it says it is using 15% CPU. Ram is accurate though in blueiris GUI.
you likely changed the setting for the cpu divisor in BI..blue iris options>other

bdorring

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

bdorring

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Using these very old intel drivers for video card, if i select HD acceleration option of "yes+videopostproc" then CPU for blueiris is reduced, but the 'system' process takes up 15% of the CPU. I did some analysis of this before, and it is due to interrupts on the video card.
It is much better if i use "yes (h264)". Blueiris uses slightly more cpu, but system process is generally under 2%.
Hopefully we get an update from intel to fix this memory leak issue.

alarum_78

n3wb
Reaction score
Using these very old intel drivers for video card, if i select HD acceleration option of "yes+videopostproc" then CPU for blueiris is reduced, but the 'system' process takes up 15% of the CPU. I did some analysis of this before, and it is due to interrupts on the video card.
It is much better if i use "yes (h264)". Blueiris uses slightly more cpu, but system process is generally under 2%.
Hopefully we get an update from intel to fix this memory leak issue.
I was having the exact same issue, rolling back the Intel HD 530 driver has fixed the memory leak. Similar spec system, I3-6100, Windows 10.

bdorring

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Just noticed tonight that it appears my video card driver got updated automatically. I assume using Windows update.
I am now on:
Intel(R) HD Graphics 530
Driver date: 7/10/2016
Driver version: 21.20.16.4534

I have now re-enabled HD acceleration option of "yes+videopostproc", and don't have system process consuming CPU, Ram is stable at 4GB. And CPU is down even more then before.
Glad this is now finally resolved.

Last edited:

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have the same thing going on now. Not exactly sure when it started happening but if I have any hardware acceleration on, memory creeps up to 24 o 25 gb's. If I turn it off, it sits right where it should. It used to sit right around 5gb's. I have 7 4mp Hikvision cameras running @ 20fps. I also have a couple other iqeye cameras running much lower specs. I tried installing the latest intel 530 driver but it did not help. Any suggestions?

System is Dell T3620 with intel 6700k, 32gb ram, onboard graph card.

Reaction score
I have the same thing going on now. Not exactly sure when it started happening but if I have any hardware acceleration on, memory creeps up to 24 o 25 gb's. If I turn it off, it sits right where it should. It used to sit right around 5gb's. I have 7 4mp Hikvision cameras running @ 20fps. I also have a couple other iqeye cameras running much lower specs. I tried installing the latest intel 530 driver but it did not help. Any suggestions?

System is Dell T3620 with intel 6700k, 32gb ram, onboard graph card.
You can try my workaround that I specified on the first page of this thread:
BlueIris memory leak?

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am just leaving HA off for right now. CPU is around 45% when the console is open and with HA off but that's better than 85% RAM being used. CPU is around 31% with just the service running and no console open. When HA was on, I was seeing a little as 17% CPU. Sucks because I was really just getting comfortable with this program, felt like it was doing all I needed it to do.

wcrowder

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am just leaving HA off for right now. CPU is around 45% when the console is open and with HA off but that's better than 85% RAM being used. CPU is around 31% with just the service running and no console open. When HA was on, I was seeing a little as 17% CPU. Sucks because I was really just getting comfortable with this program, felt like it was doing all I needed it to do.
What do you mean by "onboard graph card"? You do mean the built in Intel® HD Graphics 530 on the 6700k chip. Correct? AMD/Nvidia are not supported for HA on Blue Iris, though I wish they were.

Didact74

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry, yes. Not sure why I said "Card." I meant the 530 on the 6700K. No video cards on this machine.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I'm trying to cure this same issue. BI climbs to 3.5gb ram over a couple of hours, then crashe'ss.

I've tried rolling back to the 15.40.10.4300 version. But when I attempt to I get an error that " this software is not validated for this computer" Ask's if I want more info, and click yes, and it takes me to intels site that explains I have to uninstall the manufacturers (dell) video driver to over come this error. Uninstall Intel HD 530 display driver, reboot to continue the uninsall, Windows come back up, and the same driver is still there! Equipment list in sig. ARGGGHHH! Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm trying to cure this same issue. BI climbs to 3.5gb ram over a couple of hours, then crashe'ss.

I've tried rolling back to the 15.40.10.4300 version. But when I attempt to I get an error that " this software is not validated for this computer" Ask's if I want more info, and click yes, and it takes me to intels site that explains I have to uninstall the manufacturers (dell) video driver to over come this error. Uninstall Intel HD 530 display driver, reboot to continue the uninsall, Windows come back up, and the same driver is still there! Equipment list in sig. ARGGGHHH! Thanks
This is because you did not do a clean install of windows (always a good idea)...
Follow these instructions...Manually Install Intel® Graphics Driver in Windows* Vista