BlueIris memory leak?

jdilla

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same issue, however I am using the software in a virtual machine and am not using any Intel drivers, only Hyper-V Video driver. I also have hardware acceleration turned off. This came after an update quite some time ago, and I am unable to locate a stable version of BI to reinstall with. I found a few different versions on the forums through searches, but the search feature is rather lacking, and did not produce any results that had a stable version for my setup.

Prior to updating, I had no issues and to be quite honest everything was working great. My initial install file is no longer available, and any past versions I have found are still having the same issue. (version 4.3.9.3 x64 currently)

In the event that the intel HD driver isn't the issue, is there any other course of action I can take? All the threads I do find through the search function, tell me to perform a search without any link to the resolution... (frustratingly)

Also, since this has clearly been an issue for multiple users for a while now, how is there not a pinned solution for this to make it easier other than just "do a search" only to find multiple threads that also have a reply stating "do a search" before finally finding a thread with some info in it. Again, frustrating... I can only imagine the average user attempting to resolve this issue...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the same issue, however I am using the software in a virtual machine and am not using any Intel drivers, only Hyper-V Video driver. I also have hardware acceleration turned off. This came after an update quite some time ago, and I am unable to locate a stable version of BI to reinstall with. I found a few different versions on the forums through searches, but the search feature is rather lacking, and did not produce any results that had a stable version for my setup.

Prior to updating, I had no issues and to be quite honest everything was working great. My initial install file is no longer available, and any past versions I have found are still having the same issue. (version 4.3.9.3 x64 currently)

In the event that the intel HD driver isn't the issue, is there any other course of action I can take? All the threads I do find through the search function, tell me to perform a search without any link to the resolution... (frustratingly)

Also, since this has clearly been an issue for multiple users for a while now, how is there not a pinned solution for this to make it easier other than just "do a search" only to find multiple threads that also have a reply stating "do a search" before finally finding a thread with some info in it. Again, frustrating... I can only imagine the average user attempting to resolve this issue...
All users who have had problems have resolved it with a driver update...if you continue to have an issue email support...

jdilla

n3wb
Reaction score
Perhaps just venting at the support forums, as getting bounced around being told to 'do a search' instead of offering a link to the solution, or making the information readily available via a pinned disclaimer/notice for a user is frustrating considering the minimal effort required to achieve both of those things, but I will do that. Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps just venting at the support forums, as getting bounced around being told to 'do a search' instead of offering a link to the solution, or making the information readily available via a pinned disclaimer/notice for a user is frustrating considering the minimal effort required to achieve both of those things, but I will do that. Thanks.
This forum is NOT affiliated with blue iris. You should be doing a search. If you want support you need to email support. Its really that simple.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Wow, you do know you are complaining to a group of VOLUNTEERS, right?

You should have kept past versions of BI stored to fall back on.
It takes all of 30 seconds to do.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Always do a manual download from the website for updates. Rename the update files so you understand what they are.
Move from the Downloads folder to a BI update storage folder, dedicated folder on your hard drive, dvd rom, thumb drive, google drive, your choice.

jdilla

n3wb
Reaction score
So in the event that one wasn't aware that they should be manually backing up a program, what happens then? Keep in mind that keeping past revisions of a program is NOT common practice... Generally past versions are archived and hosted by the software company, not saying this is related to this message board, but this practice in general is not common at all, so to suggest that someone should have been doing so is just flat out wrong.

And as a moderator for several other boards, I can only disagree that as a volunteer, you generally are also taking on the role of assistant to helping people that are requesting things from the very board they are moderating, which is why this is rather bizarre to just discard users posts telling them to 'do a search' instead of just saying 'here is what a search would have provided'. This would then help other people searching (including myself and most likely others) that stumble upon thread after thread of 'do a search' instead of the answer linked in that same thread. I'm not suggesting spoon feeding users information by any means, but when there's no readily available source for what appears to be a common issue, then having to sift through posts being told to go sift through more posts, it is just counterproductive.

Reaction score
That sounds ridiculous that that would be something the user is expected to do for every update.

Most people are just going to open BlueIris and click OK at the prompt when it asks if the user wants to update. And I'm sure some people even have "Automatic download and install" checked, since BlueIris can be run as a service and does not require user intervention. "Performing a backup" should simply be done automatically whenever BlueIris updates.

jdilla

n3wb
Reaction score
Pass the popcorn please, this gonna be good.
So basically, you cannot confirm that what Mingo and I are requesting is out of line, but that you expect a 'forum fight' instead.

Great job, really.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So basically, you cannot confirm that what Mingo and I are requesting is out of line, but that you expect a 'forum fight' instead.

Great job, really.
Out of line? Ummmm, no. You asked for help, I offered a suggestion, you two jumped down my throat over my suggestion. It's simple, if you don't like my suggestion, then don't do it. BI is operated by a team of one! He's not Microsoft!. The cost of BI is dirt cheap at twice the price. Hosting is expensive, bandwidth is expensive. Support is expensive. The BI "team" is trying to keep the cost low. The end user needs to take responsibility for himself, (Oh wait, I forget, that's out of vogue these days) and have a "best practices" in place.

I've purchased plenty of software over the years from different one man shows, and my suggestion is exactly how they all operate to keep costs contained.

Don't update just because you can, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

jdilla

n3wb
Reaction score
"A fool and his money are soon parted"

I guess I learned my lesson, here's to purchasing something at the average going rate of software, and expecting about the average service but instead being told that I should have known better.

Also, hosting costs are so minimal nowadays that I'm not even sure that's an argument anymore. This isn't the 90s, my phone has the capacity to host a website if I was so inclined.

Cheers to being satisfied with the status quo

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When your running a production server software; regardless if its BlueIris or an Exchange Mail server.. you should take full control over all updates and always have a disaster recovery plan in place to roll back/revert..

This is basic Server Admin 101, the problem here is none of you guys have any experience with managing production servers.. All this has been gone over countless times here, if you cant bother to self educate your self.. then you really have no legs to stand on as you bitch and whine about problems that could have been easily avoided.

If you dont want to be bothered with properly administrating a server; buy a hardware NVR and forget about all this shit.

jdilla

n3wb
Reaction score
When your running a production server software; regardless if its BlueIris or an Exchange Mail server.. you should take full control over all updates and always have a disaster recovery plan in place to roll back/revert..

This is basic Server Admin 101, the problem here is none of you guys have any experience with managing production servers.. All this has been gone over countless times here, if you cant bother to self educate your self.. then you really have no legs to stand on as you bitch and whine about problems that could have been easily avoided.

If you dont want to be bothered with properly administrating a server; buy a hardware NVR and forget about all this shit.
Not sure what production environment you manage that runs janky 3rd party software like this, but I feel sorry for you for having to do this.

My home environment, where this software runs, doesn't have an archive to recover from due to, I dunno, practicality? Not really inclined to keep archives of my personal home data when its never been an issue, ever, except with this particular piece of software apparently.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Im gearing up to go install a half dozen BlueIris servers across Colorado to watch a tens of thousands cannabis plants by several dozen security employees; requires 45 days of video retention and high availability configurations..

no worse than any other windows based server; I'll use the same software and recovery practices that I use for managing servers in datacenters all across the globe.. if those were all allowed to self-update we'd have outages that cost millions of dollars..

You dont have to keep every single version you ever installed, just the last known good one.. and when you upgrade and test everything out and there's no problems, can delete that one and replace it with the installer your running now.. in my home environment I have tons of software that needs to be treated the same way.. Domoticz? yep, OpenALPRD? yep, FreeNAS? yep, Plex? yep. Ive even had to downgrade hardware NVR firmware to regain functionality that was broken/removed in latest version.. nothing special about BlueIris.. I dont even let my AndroidTV boxes self update because the Wife bitches alot when shit breaks... I only update everything when I have the time and energy to test that everything is still functional afterwords; so only a couple times a year.. you cant download old versions of android apps off the playstore, OAH THE HUMANITY!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That sounds ridiculous that that would be something the user is expected to do for every update.

Most people are just going to open BlueIris and click OK at the prompt when it asks if the user wants to update. And I'm sure some people even have "Automatic download and install" checked, since BlueIris can be run as a service and does not require user intervention. "Performing a backup" should simply be done automatically whenever BlueIris updates.
Yes its horrific!!! If you cant handle the two seconds it takes to go to the website and manually update. Stop updating every two days...I have 20+ BI machines, update maybe every 3 or 4 months for new features. Setting any software to automatically update is pretty dumb.
If you dont like BI, why dont you try something else. Milestone is free for up to 8 cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure what production environment you manage that runs janky 3rd party software like this, but I feel sorry for you for having to do this.

My home environment, where this software runs, doesn't have an archive to recover from due to, I dunno, practicality? Not really inclined to keep archives of my personal home data when its never been an issue, ever, except with this particular piece of software apparently.
The software is not janky, its robust and exceptional. Its you, the end user who simply has no clue. I have more than 20 blue iris machines flawlessly.
Your reading comprehension is not very good. You DONT have to back anything up. Simply keep the old update file in your download folder...too difficult for you?
You also DID NOT pay the going rate for VMS software. The going rate is 50-150 PER CAMERA license.
Finally I dont need your advice on how to run a forum. So if you dislike the information given to you, fuck off.

jdilla

n3wb
Reaction score
Milestone is free for up to 8 cameras.
Thank you for the suggestion, I will be trying this software out.

The software is not janky, its robust and exceptional.
According to you, a mod on its "support" forum. While other users post multiple threads about the software locking up and freezing, without any real updates to fix this usability breaking issue.

Its you, the end user who simply has no clue.
Without direction out of the box, how would a user know any better? Also, when the default software action is to automatically update, how would the user have the knowledge to know that this isn't suggested? (which is already suspect) As a programmer, you should know more than anyone that you need to protect the user from themselves...

I have more than 20 blue iris machines flawlessly.
Congrats? I have 1 VM that runs like crap.

Your reading comprehension is not very good. You DONT have to back anything up. Simply keep the old update file in your download folder...too difficult for you?
You say this as if a user has a download folder that never gets purged, and that 'keeping old installation files' is something that all users do as the norm. Sorry, with every piece of software that I have purcahsed (into the 1000s, for sure) this hasn't been an issue. At the very least, the issue that I am experiencing in the program is fixed before I need to revert to an old install, that apparently isn't even available anywhere unless the user themselves backed it up? That's laughable for sure.

You also DID NOT pay the going rate for VMS software. The going rate is 50-150 PER CAMERA license.
I paid 60 dollars for a multi-cam license, surely that is worth something, but I digress.

Finally I dont need your advice on how to run a forum. So if you dislike the information given to you, fuck off.
I guess this confirms the suspicion I had, that the development "team" is just some arrogant brat programmer who thinks he is better than everyone. Par for the course unfortunately.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion, I will be trying this software out.

According to you, a mod on its "support" forum. While other users post multiple threads about the software locking up and freezing, without any real updates to fix this usability breaking issue.

Without direction out of the box, how would a user know any better? Also, when the default software action is to automatically update, how would the user have the knowledge to know that this isn't suggested? (which is already suspect) As a programmer, you should know more than anyone that you need to protect the user from themselves...

Congrats? I have 1 VM that runs like crap.

You say this as if a user has a download folder that never gets purged, and that 'keeping old installation files' is something that all users do as the norm. Sorry, with every piece of software that I have purcahsed (into the 1000s, for sure) this hasn't been an issue. At the very least, the issue that I am experiencing in the program is fixed before I need to revert to an old install, that apparently isn't even available anywhere unless the user themselves backed it up? That's laughable for sure.

I paid 60 dollars for a multi-cam license, surely that is worth something, but I digress.

I guess this confirms the suspicion I had, that the development "team" is just some arrogant brat programmer who thinks he is better than everyone. Par for the course unfortunately.
Its about time you improved your reading comprehension because there is one thing I wont stand, blatant lies.
1) This forum and I are not connected to blue iris.
2) All other folks with memory leak problems have resolved their issue with the proper driver.
3) you are using a VM which I have repeatedly suggested is a bad idea and is likely the root of your problem.
4) I am not a programmer
You are correct that the default should not be auto...change it...but that seems to be too much work for you.
Why do you purge your download folder? The machine should be dedicated to blue iris. Stop running other shit on a VMS machine.
You paid 60 dollars, that is NOTHING in this industry...so you cant bitch all day long. Find some better software then come back here and report on it. Otherwise, LEARN how to manage BI. Its really easy. I have posted instructions in many threads. Seems like you need your hand held and are incompetent. So guy buy software that charges you PER camera and additionally charges for support after 90 days to 1 year. You obviously need support.