BlueIris using substream of IPCamTalk IPCT-HDBW4432F

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi, I have this camera installed at a remote location (ie, over the internet) from my BlueIris server. I don't need a highly-fluid video, so want to minimize the bandwidth impact. How do I direct BI to the camera's substream, or otherwise reduce framerate and/or resolution?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You reduce the resolution and FPS directly in the camera's settings by logging in to the camera.

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You reduce the resolution and FPS directly in the camera's settings by logging in to the camera.
Yes, you set the characteristics of each stream that way. My question is how I I tell BI which stream to use?

I guess a related question would be which setting is best for this -- H264,H265 or MJPEG?

Walrus

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You probably change something here, don't know what though:
upload_2019-10-8_13-33-20.png

Why don't you just change the main stream to a lower resolution? It's what you asked, when you said 'or otherwise reduce framerate and/or resolution?'

Attachments

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
You can use the substream of your camera which will provide a lower resolution and FPS (set via the camera itself).

If you are recording this camera remotely in Blue Iris then your settings should look something like this

upload_2019-10-8_14-27-29.png

Substitute the IP and ports with yours. If you want to use the main stream substitute the 2 with a 1 in the Path. You will also have to port forward and can use our open port checker to verify the ports are working.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
If port forwarding, see if the router supports setting a source IP range on the forwarding rule so that the entire internet can't reach your camera.

I also recommend using the main stream, but in the camera's web interface, limit the bit rate to whatever speed you are comfortable with. To improve video quality with a low bit rate, reduce the frame rate and increase the i-frame interval. I'd go as far as an i-frame interval of [frame rate] times 10 (so there would be one i-frame every 10 seconds), but keep in mind a direct to disk recording can only begin at an i-frame, so if you record on motion detection, you would want at least a 10 second Pre-trigger video buffer configured in Blue Iris camera properties > Record tab.

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Why don't you just change the main stream to a lower resolution? It's what you asked, when you said 'or otherwise reduce framerate and/or resolution?'
Walrus, thanks for the reply. Yes, I also assume that is where a change must be made. I don't want to lose a high-res, higher-rate stream, as I will still use that for other things (specifically if I have need to see a better stream on demand, or if being used within the camera's LAN). I figured using the substream for continual internet-based monitoring would be best **OR** perhaps there is a way for BI to merely request a JPEG at some interval, instead of constantly pulling a stream.

Substitute the IP and ports with yours. If you want to use the main stream substitute the 2 with a 1 in the Path. You will also have to port forward and can use our open port checker to verify the ports are working.
Mike, thanks to you as well. This makes sense -- "1" for main channel, "2" for subchannel. I'll try that when I get back to the home location (where BI is). I already have the ports forwarded and have been working with BI, just that it is dogging down the network where the camera is installed, so I need to lower the bandwidth demand.
Do you have any recommendation of changing the camera from H265 to H264 or MJPEG in my case?

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
To improve video quality with a low bit rate, reduce the frame rate and increase the i-frame interval. I'd go as far as an i-frame interval of [frame rate] times 10 (so there would be one i-frame every 10 seconds), but keep in mind a direct to disk recording can only begin at an i-frame
Thanks for the added insight. I'll play with the bitrate and i-frame as well.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
H.265 would be the most efficient with bandwidth. Note you can't use Intel hardware acceleration in Blue Iris if the camera sends H.265, but if it is a low resolution and low frame rate stream, then the CPU usage will not be high anyway, so no major loss there.

An occasionally refreshing jpeg is possible too, however it is much less efficient and you actually get less control over the bandwidth usage.

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
An occasionally refreshing jpeg is possible too, however it is much less efficient and you actually get less control over the bandwidth usage.
Thanks! How would I configure BI to fetch a jpg from this camera?

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can use the substream of your camera which will provide a lower resolution and FPS (set via the camera itself).

If you are recording this camera remotely in Blue Iris then your settings should look something like this

Mike, this doesn't work for me. I only get "No Signal", if I set path to "/Streaming/Channels/1" (note only one "/"), I connect fine on main channel. If I only change the "1" to a "2", then no signal.

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I know everyone is busy, but I bought the IPCAM camera knowing it would get support on the forum. My question is over 11 days old -- what is the proper way (e.g. specific topic/forum or email address, or site) to get the support answer?

Thanks!

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes, I can access it when viewing the Live image, by clicking on the "2" in the drop down. The URL at the top of the page doesn't change when switching between the streams, so it isn't obvious to me how to specify the channel in BI.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I can access it when viewing the Live image, by clicking on the "2" in the drop down. The URL at the top of the page doesn't change when switching between the streams, so it isn't obvious to me how to specify the channel in BI.
post your current settings

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can you tell me which settings you want me to post (or if there is a way to simply export them all to show what you want to see)?

As I wrote above, without changing any setting other than "Path":

/Streaming/Channels/1 <<< works, giving me a view of the main stream
/Streaming/Channels/2 <<< fails, with "No Signal"

Simply changing the "2" back to a "1" works again (main channel).

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Suggestion : Check out @TonyR suggestion using VLC media Player and see what stream you get.
Thanks. I'm fairly new to using this forum, so I don't know all the functions, but is there an easy way to find the post you referenced? I just scanned 7 pages of his posts (from his profile) and none are obviously about VLC. Is there a way to search for author + topic?