Brand new to IP cams

Kevin4730

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have been watching the board and keeping an eye out and want to pickup some hardware around Black Friday.

Completely new to this...I don’t know if it’s worth it to go BI or just plug in a basic NVR. I would likely only have 3-4 cameras max in the near future. I don’t need 4K or anything, just some monitoring around the perimeter of the house.

Also spec’ing out an unRAID box I’ll use for media, Blu-ray tips and backups. Would it make sense to run BI on the same box or bad idea?

I also have an unmanaged/non PoE switch right now. So, the NVRs with built in PoE are looking pretty nice.

Sorry for the basic questions. Just looking to get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin4730

n3wb
Reaction score
Looking at only 3 cams, just starting out. Should I get a basic NVR likethis?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at only 3 cams, just starting out. Should I get a basic NVR likethis?
there are a bunch of threads discussing your options...choose your cams first....

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys. I have been watching the board and keeping an eye out and want to pickup some hardware around Black Friday.

Completely new to this...I don’t know if it’s worth it to go BI or just plug in a basic NVR. I would likely only have 3-4 cameras max in the near future. I don’t need 4K or anything, just some monitoring around the perimeter of the house.

Also spec’ing out an unRAID box I’ll use for media, Blu-ray tips and backups. Would it make sense to run BI on the same box or bad idea?

I also have an unmanaged/non PoE switch right now. So, the NVRs with built in PoE are looking pretty nice.

Sorry for the basic questions. Just looking to get started.

Welcome Kevin4730,

Did you end up finding something during this BF / Cyberweek season?

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Kevin4730

n3wb
Reaction score
Welcome Kevin4730,

Did you end up finding something during this BF / Cyberweek season?
Thanks for the links! I’m slowly picking things up here

I have been overthinking back and forth trying to build a NAS server/media center/BI machine. After starting to add everything up I decided to go with a QNAP TS-453A on sale for $450 with 3 4tb wd reds to run it.

So, since I’m moving in that direction I’m going to try out the QNAP surveillance station. It comes with 4 licenses. If it’s junk I can look at other options.

I see the most people talk about Dahua. Maybe I’ll just grab a couple starlight’s to get my feet wet.

Looking forward to learning more here on the forums.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the links! I’m slowly picking things up here

I have been overthinking back and forth trying to build a NAS server/media center/BI machine. After starting to add everything up I decided to go with a QNAP TS-453A on sale for $450 with 3 4tb wd reds to run it.

So, since I’m moving in that direction I’m going to try out the QNAP surveillance station. It comes with 4 licenses. If it’s junk I can look at other options.

I see the most people talk about Dahua. Maybe I’ll just grab a couple starlight’s to get my feet wet.

Looking forward to learning more here on the forums.

Hi Kevin,

The Dahua Starlights are great cameras for low light, I really like that they can do color at night if there is enough light - or get really crisp B&W with IR. Definitely a good camera to get.