WTB Bricked Hikvision R0 series (DS-2CD2xx2) IP camera.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it does seem like you want to walk on the riskier side of the street.
I will send you a link via 'Conversations' to some firmware to experiment with.

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello,

I will download them during the week-end .
Hope it will be an angel to help me in case of ...

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What - no bricked Hikvision IPCs for me to experiment on? Hard to believe.
I'd be happy to send it home again after recovery and experiments.
Hahahaha - I'm back on here (was away again 6 months contracting in the middle of nowhere) and I posted the exact same thing!

Great minds and all....

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be happy to send it home again after recovery and experiments.
And I did.
A win/win - I was able to check out my 'hacked to EN/ML' firmware, the camera got fixed, and went back home to the EU refreshed and updated.
I also bought a 2332 off eBay 'for spare parts / dummy' that turned out it had 'locked in syndrome'.
All was fine inside - but it couldn't talk to the outside world as the LAN cable had developed a fault. Now fixed.

binh25

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, I'd certainly be interested in trying to find out why those upgrade steps bricked it.
I'd be happy to pay the postal costs - what would you accept as an offer for your 'junk'?
Send me your address, I will post it to you for your research

lore

n3wb
Reaction score
hi, I just briked my Chinese ds-2cd2032f while upgrading from 5.3.0 to 5.4.0.
Cannot be seen on the network.
Now even the 5.3.0 firmware I used to recover in the past using tftp does not complete (stuck after transmit...).
I tried to download 5.2.5, 5.3.0 both from europe or Chinese site and flash using tftp both with region 1 or 2 but no way to arrive at the end and recover...
Maybe from 5.4.0 it is not possible to go back... in this case at least I would like to upgrade to a working 5.4.0 or 5.4.5.
The 5.4.0 I used was taken from the European site. It flashes fine but does not work...

Maybe you can help by providing a working version.

Kind regards,
Lore

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
This is likely to be the Hikvision 'Catch-22 trap' which appears to be aimed at bricking CN cameras that had 'hacked to EN' firmware where an update to 5.4.0 or higher is attempted.
A couple of forum members were generous enough to freely supply a couple of cameras to analyse.
What I've seen is:
The upgrade program when handling 5.4.0 or higher firmware first of all erases the flash areas holding the apps, then records that 5.4.0 was installed, then rejects the firmware that was downloaded.
This leaves the camera with no apps to run, it just boots into a bare kernel with no web services, not responding to SADP etc.
And because 5.4.0 or above has been loaded, any attempt to downgrade to a working version is rejected by the 'anti-rollback' block in the 'upgrade' program. And 'psh' is in play as the shell, so no commands of any real use are available. A bit of a deliberate trap.
Hence the 'Catch-22' comment.

I have been able to fix these cameras, but by a slightly convoluted process I wouldn't impose on a normal user.
However - I do believe I will be able to devise a fairly straightforward method of unbricking these problem cameras. I'm working on it just now, I need to do some testing.

Another interesting thing I discovered from the bricked cameras is that there appears to be a remnant of the original 'hacked to English' firmware method which the Hikvision code in firmware of 5.3.0 and higher is handling, such that another form of 'bricking' occurs based on an invalid device_type result.
So some cameras may also be bricking due to having a specific method of converting to English installed by the seller.
I know how to deal with this such that the 'bricked' cameras are OK running the 5.4.0 and 5.4.5 EN/ML firmware.

lore

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, i'll wait for your fix... or if you want to share your "convoluted" method I would be happy to follow it.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
@lore You have used the Hikvision tftp updater tool, and are you comfortable with it?
I have created an experimental 5.4.0 downgrader fix that on limited testing seems OK.
If you are feeling adventurous would you like to be a beta tester?

lore

n3wb
Reaction score
@lore You have used the Hikvision tftp updater tool, and are you comfortable with it?
I have created an experimental 5.4.0 downgrader fix that on limited testing seems OK.
If you are feeling adventurous would you like to be a beta tester?
Absolutely, I updated/downgraded many times through tftp and also changed region flag with hiktools when needed, so I should be quite comfortable!
At the moment I have no choice so I definitely would be happy to try!

Slitherin

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, i have the same problem. My boss updated his DS-2CD2xx2 (i am not at home so i cant remember exact model.. ds-2cd2032f-iw i think) to 5.4.0 firmware, but didnt know his camera was CN version hacked into EN version and that he should have not tried to upgrade it.
I have contacted seller and he did send me his 5.3.0 CN firmware, but i am not able to downgrade from 5.4.0, TFTP is stucked on "completed transfer". I have tried every option i have found on the internet, but i thought it will be something like you have said about "Catch-22 trap".. then i have found out this topic.
Do you think i could try to test this too?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think i could try to test this too?
Although it works OK for me in several tests - there is some risk for something that's pretty new.
But you've used the tftp updater, and you'd get 'brownie points' (Is that a phrase that translates across borders? Where are you located) with your bossif it works.
So with the caveat about potential risks, you are hereby enrolled into the trial group. Check your 'Conversations'.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
So it seems that R0 2x32 CN cameras that originally had 5.2.5 or 5.2.8 firmware can after all be upgraded to the current 5.4.5 EN/ML firmware with a little tweak to their flash label.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think I really need to look for these any more - quite a few members are managing to unbrick and update their R0 cameras all the way to 5.4.5 as a consequence of the research on cameras that helpful members have provided. With one not wanting it back ... many thanks from all.

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello alastairstevenson,

Did users that tried your great work had updated their R0 cameras ?

IL-MAFIOSO

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Like we've spoken together, I think I should let the camera that don't accept any update with web GUI

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, things have developed quite quickly and moved on.
If you are still running the 5.2.5 version of firmware, and can extract a copy of mtdblock6 and send privately, I can modify it for you with a high probability that it will allow the camera to run the EN/ML firmware up to the current 5.4.5