Budget 4 camera setup please?

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello
A friend of mine is looking for a budget 4 camera system and looking at Zmodo one. I know...
I need to present him with some options. What he needs:
- 4 cameras
- NVR
- easy install/signle cable/POE
- around $300 for cameras with NVR

Can someone please suggest me a model/kit? Are Hik/Dahua cameras withing budget? What models would be OK? I guess something better than 2.8 lens.

Thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello
A friend of mine is looking for a budget 4 camera system and looking at Zmodo one. I know...
I need to present him with some options. What he needs:
- 4 cameras
- NVR
- easy install/signle cable/POE
- around $300 for cameras with NVR

Can someone please suggest me a model/kit? Are Hik/Dahua cameras withing budget? What models would be OK? I guess something better than 2.8 lens.

Thank you
with folks like that its usually best to let them buy the crap...tell them to call you when they are ready to pay more after they realize they have been duped. sometimes you can find deals on laview (rebranded hikvision) for 280 for 4 cams and nvr but you need to add a HD...then deal with bullet cams and poor night vision..

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
what budget Hik/Dahua cameras should I be recommending? Maybe will get him to buy just 2 cameras first and see how he goes. Just feel bad to not stopping him from buying crap =)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
what budget Hik/Dahua cameras should I be recommending? Maybe will get him to buy just 2 cameras first and see how he goes. Just feel bad to not stopping him from buying crap =)
two starlight turret fixed cameras...100 each...

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What about something like DS-2CD2342WD-I?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What about something like DS-2CD2342WD-I?
the starlight turret is significantly better at night and low light...and adds a mic and sd card backup storage...no contest.

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am sure he can be, but I need to present him with something else. What do you think about PC-HDW4431C-A? Only $50 each plus a small NVR with POE (NVR2104-P or NVR2108-P) for $130
Surely the cameras will be better than Zmodo. But I think those have no onboard storage. Is that anything similar but with SDCard? Its much easier to convince on $330 vs $530 (plus HDD of course)

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am sure he can be, but I need to present him with something else. What do you think about PC-HDW4431C-A? Only $50 each plus a small NVR with POE (NVR2104-P or NVR2108-P) for $130
Surely the cameras will be better than Zmodo. But I think those have no onboard storage. Is that anything similar but with SDCard? Its much easier to convince on $330 vs $530 (plus HDD of course)
Hi SergeyAU,

1) I'm not a big fan of Chinese market cameras for people who are not able nor willing to have extra time to deal with any possible related support issues associated with firmware issues with cameras hacked to run English.

2) I do not recall seeing Chinese market cameras supporting microSD cards when I looked at my options about 1 year ago.

As Fenderman notes, at times there will be a LaView 4 camera IP NVR kit going for $280 in the USA from Newegg w/o HDD. That iirc is one of the most affordable deals I have regularly seen for a IP PoE kit.
( you would need to keep an eye out for when this deal occurs )

Last edited:

SergeyAU

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Once you have a good camera you tend to think that all cameras of that brand are good, China market or not. Once you have a cheap/shit camera you instantly feel that you should have spent an extra $50 on a good one. But it's personal experience that you cannot transfer onto someone.
As Fenderman said - I will lay out the options and he decides to go the cheap way, I will not stop him