Bullet Mic Review

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ive tried alot of cheap lil powered microphones, they all work pretty good and I've been happy with them.. that is until I got one of these: MicroSeveM7WP-MIC

Amazon.com : Microseven M7WP-MIC waterproof outdoor Microphone for M7B57-WPS / M7B57-WPSE Or Any IP Network Security & Surveillance Camera with Audio Interface - An IP camera external microphone : Camera & Photo

Code:
Listening area                108 sqft - 375 sqft
Audio transmission distance   3000 m
Frequency response            20Hz ~ 20kHz
Sensitivity                   -47dB
Signal to Noise Ratio         50dB (40 dB sound source 1 meter) 30dB (10 meters 40 dB sources) 1KHz at 1 Pa
Directivity                   omnidirectional
Dynamic Range                 80dB (1KHz at Max dB SPL)
Maximum sound pressure        120dB SPL (1KHz, THD 1%)
Output impedance              600 ohms non-equilibrium
Output signal amplitude       2.5Vpp/-25db
Microphone                    Customized omnidirectional capacitor microphone

This one is so much better, it has better range and auto adjustment.. picks up noise everywhere, I can hear the wind blowing through the trees and birds blocks away when other mic's very nearby are basically silent.

Comes with a power splitter and rca coupler, so I just added a PoE splitter and it had everything needed for my Dahua cam.. Will post up sample video here shortly, when I get some sidewalk traffic afterschool or something.

Time to start slowly changing my mic's out..

** DISCLAIMER: Check your local laws and see if audio recording is even legal, it is often illegal to record audio discretely.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Interesting, I would like something similar that had a speaker. So if I wanted I could talk back and or have a prerecorded sound to make people move along, as we live pretty close to a bar and people tend to be obnoxiously loud at times and that includes the neighbors.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
2-way audio is a pretty shit solution right now, its no bi-directional.. so you can talk OR listen, but not both at the same time.. and its not using VoIP so the latency is noticeable.

If you want 2-way audio capabilities your best off using an external VoIP Solution.. works much better, most of the doorbell cameras use VoIP or else its very obvious your actually not home when the latency causes the participants to step on eachother.

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Have a VOIP doorbell you have in mind that would work.

Actually thought about recording the gun range and if people get loud just play it to get them to move along LOL

JetG

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Considering they shoot guns around this area and have it on the local news I highly doubt it would be that big of a deal. Now would I do that, no as it would alarm my neighbors.

http://www.fox26houston.com/news/197160734-story

As you can see, it actually happens. We also don't live that far from this location on the news...

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
So far, I have (unfortunately) learned that when somebody slashes a tire, it makes a sudden loud hiss you can hear for some distance, that fades away gradually. So with a mic you can tell just from the sound what happened and when it happened, even if the person is not clearly visible. And if a car just drove up and stopped, and it's 3 am with no one else around, you might even draw some conclusions.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Looks good! What bullet cam is that? Why pick that bullet over the turret?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
added sample video finally.. targets ~35ft away when they are first seen on video.

Camera is a HFW4431M-AS-I2, went with a bullet because I needed 12mm optics, and alarm IO

TVT73

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Very good, but unfortunately not available in europe :sad2:
I tried some Chinese versions with very disturbed sound, it seems to be difficult to get something good working and outdoor waterproof in Germany.

mcx

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Very good, but unfortunately not available in europe :sad2:
I tried some Chinese versions with very disturbed sound, it seems to be difficult to get something good working and outdoor waterproof in Germany.
You can buy it directly from Microseven. Just ask shipping fees before you buy, ($19 to Finland).

From Microseven web-site:

If you want express shipping in the US or Internationally, please email to support@microseven.com as it may have an extra fee.

Jim is very helpful.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That disclaimer in the opening post in red is very good.
it is not legal here in the Netherlands to record audio. As that is not as directional as video, the privacy laws prohibit you to record audio. But we are not really allowed to film the public road also.
strange thing is that the police have a programm to registre all the cameras out there in case something happens in your area they request you to help the, with images. So the law says no and the law enforcement is happy with them as it helps their job.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yup; it varies from location within a country too.. here in Colorado its perfectly legal; but I know it is illegal to record audio without both parties prior-consent in California, Illinois and a few other jurisdictions.

However imagery of public property is protected by our constitution; however some LEO believe otherwise.. people get harassed all the time for taking pictures of places the law believes you shouldent (airports/govt buildings/etc)..

Taking photographs and video of things that are plainly visible in public spaces is a constitutional right—and that includes transportation facilities, the outside of federal buildings, and police and other government officials carrying out their duties.
Unfortunately, law enforcement officers have been known to ask people to stop taking photographs of public places. Those who fail to comply have sometimes been harassed, detained, and arrested. Other people have ended up in FBI databases for taking innocuous photographs of public places.
https://www.aclu.org/issues/free-speech/photographers-rights

Registering Cameras is stupid as shit; its the job of the police to investigate crimes.. its never been any trouble for LEO to inspect a crime scene close enough to discover any and all recording devices nearby; thats just another case of lazy police work.. its a slippery slope before they require direct access to realtime video from all registered cameras IMHO.

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The LEO here is very helpfull to try and remove the assholes from the street that break in in cars.
now the night time is longer again they re-appeared again. At 03:15 am a lonely cyclist in the street that checks out cars.
it will be just a matter of time until they come to clean out cars from airbags etc.

if the local leo want acces, i will put a openvpn tunnel up for him i think.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
The local police here also have a program to register your cameras. No thanks. I'll help by sending in any video that looks sketchy but I'm not registering my cameras. I figure as soon as anything BIG happens they'd come knocking to seize my system for footage.

duranged2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hey Nayr, I bought the bullet mic from Amazon for my Dahua cam install. On the powering of the bullet, would it be safe to use a 12V 2.5A adaptor? I just had this power brick laying around that used to go with "something."

Thanks!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah it'll work, power supplies can always be larger than the device needs.. just not smaller.. for example if a device says its 1A, you can use a 2A PSU, but not a 0.5A PSU.

however having said that, running too large of a PSU than is nessicary is very inefficient.. for example if you use a 10A PSU on a 1A device, you'd only @ 10% duty and it probably burns over 10% just idling.. so you could be consuming more energy than nessicary and wasting most of the energy converting it straight to heat.

duranged2001

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
however having said that, running too large of a PSU than is nessicary is very inefficient
Thanks for the quick answer. I have a poe splitter coming but I wanted to bench test the mic in the interim.

Thanks,
David

Last edited by a moderator: