Cam catches thieves - makes me wish I bought better camera

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The hoodie thing is really a $2 way to render even the most expensive camera system useless. I've noticed that the last few door lock checker in my neighborhood had zero exposed skin. Hoodies that were oversized, draped over their forehead, and a bandanna or scarf over the nose/mouth. I think the guys that do this on a regular basis are treating every home as though they have a dozen cameras aimed at them, and the dress accordingly. Short of cameras that capture the tags of every car going down the street - which even if 100% successful, is a long shot - getting an ID off of kids the way they're using camera counter-measures is going to be pretty futile.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Tend to agree. The regulars are expecting and prepared for the cameras, still get the stupid meth heads and crack addicts though ;)

That's why when we invested in new HOA cams, I went with no less than 3 dedicated Tag cams for our little culdesac street. I'm getting 95%+ on all tags in and out of the neighborhood day and night. Probably will end up being the best usable evidence we will have when needed.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The hoodie thing is really a $2 way to render even the most expensive camera system useless. I've noticed that the last few door lock checker in my neighborhood had zero exposed skin. Hoodies that were oversized, draped over their forehead, and a bandanna or scarf over the nose/mouth. I think the guys that do this on a regular basis are treating every home as though they have a dozen cameras aimed at them, and the dress accordingly. Short of cameras that capture the tags of every car going down the street - which even if 100% successful, is a long shot - getting an ID off of kids the way they're using camera counter-measures is going to be pretty futile.
Exactly what I am seeing these days. At least once a week the hoodie Zombies attack. I have 5 cameras on my driveway and I am now realizing my best defense is lock the car doors, park close to my house and add no extra light. I even see some use their phones to see if there is IR lights for cameras. I just saw one few days ago look at his phone facing my driveway then turn around and leave. So I guess at least if they know the cameras are there will deter some. Others I see really don't like complete darkness and move on to my neighbor with courtesy lights on his driveway for them. Really at the end of the day now you will at least know someone was out there but, as far as spending the big bucks to try and get an ID forget it. Hoodies a scarf with a back pack on seem to be the new norm now and since every kid seems dressed that way no way police can stop them all. As far as a license plate reader that too would be pointless as all my Zombies use their bikes and have hoodies up while on their bikes. Seems about 1-3 minutes after I see them pass by on a bike they are walking along street checking everything out, last night there were 3 of them a regular zombie pack and always at 3 a.m give or take.
I would not doubt that with google foo these days that they are probably on this site, seeing what we all are trying to do to stop them and now realize just a hoodie and scarf and we are screwed.
Almost think that a red spinning light when activated by motion may be more effective but not as fun as the cameras ......right. If I could post things here I would try it as a case study in comparison to all the other footage of their reactions to darkness, situation awareness use of their phones or other seemingly useful ideas I could come up with as far as threats to see what truly is the best method to have them not enter your world.

Last edited:

NoloC

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a few 2032s and I can make them look just like that. It isn't electrical interference. They just suck at night. You need to get more light out there. Looks very dark. Not even a starlight will make an image with no light.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Looks to me like that guy shinned the flashlight right at the camera making it useless when he was facing it also the motion light did nothing to stop him so lighting pretty much non factor and did not improve the hoodie look.

Seems garage bags also good to foil cameras, suburban ghillie suit

sorry seems can't even post links at the moment .

Last edited:

cybermech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Exactly what I am seeing these days. At least once a week the hoodie Zombies attack. I have 5 cameras on my driveway and I am now realizing my best defense is lock the car doors, park close to my house and add no extra light. I even see some use their phones to see if there is IR lights for cameras. I just saw one few days ago look at his phone facing my driveway then turn around and leave. So I guess at least if they know the cameras are there will deter some. Others I see really don't like complete darkness and move on to my neighbor with courtesy lights on his driveway for them. Really at the end of the day now you will at least know someone was out there but, as far as spending the big bucks to try and get an ID forget it. Hoodies a scarf with a back pack on seem to be the new norm now and since every kid seems dressed that way no way police can stop them all. As far as a license plate reader that too would be pointless as all my Zombies use their bikes and have hoodies up while on their bikes. Seems about 1-3 minutes after I see them pass by on a bike they are walking along street checking everything out, last night there were 3 of them a regular zombie pack and always at 3 a.m give or take.
I would not doubt that with google foo these days that they are probably on this site, seeing what we all are trying to do to stop them and now realize just a hoodie and scarf and we are screwed.
Almost think that a red spinning light when activated by motion may be more effective but not as fun as the cameras ......right. If I could post things here I would try it as a case study in comparison to all the other footage of their reactions to darkness, situation awareness use of their phones or other seemingly useful ideas I could come up with as far as threats to see what truly is the best method to have them not enter your world.
Makes me wonder if you added a PTZ with auto tracking and had a laser attached and sighted with the camera that would light them up (vs a red light) if that wouldn't make them think twice. A low power laser that wouldn't cause eye damage would work fine at night. Sounds like you have a lot a of challenges in your neighborhood.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
motion sensors that let off a sound that is so loud it literally causes them pain, fenced in yard, doggy doors and dogs, any kind of physical obsticles and or booby traps you can think of. the legality gets a little tricky but I doubt some scumbag who goes through people's cars at night is going to try and take legal action on you. that would only let you know who they are so you can dole out your own brand of justice later.

but realistically, if you can set up sensors that almost never false alarm, and have it sound a siren that wakes you up, the little dick faces won't have much time to do anything before you are out in the yard to bash their brains in.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
I also wonder what these fuck faces think they will find in people's cars? fat stacks of cash? gold bars? There isn't shit in my car at night except pocket change.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
There was a case of an elderly lady (in her 80's) that was the victim of a violent home invasion, where the much younger perp forced her to blow him. When she got close enough, she grabbed a hold of his tea bag and twisted so hard, she caused permanent damage. He was caught. Despite being low-life gutter snipe, this guy (with his ambulance chasing attorney) sued the woman for damage to his nuts.

The judge in the case found in favor of the assailant, and awarded him $1. He said he did so because if he had ruled in favor of the woman, he could have appealed. In this case, he was awarded an amount that could not be appealed. Wive's tale? Urban legend? Who knows. But I have no doubt that it could happen. Criminals are dumb, and the slip & fall lawyers prey on that.

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interestingly enough I don't have noise and interference during the day, only at night. That leads me to think its not the power issue. Here's the same pic in daylight:

I did turn on smart IR, and I will try moving the camera. I will need to wait for night to try that.

The problem is you have WDR turned on. Make sure it is turned off at night or you will have all kinds of noise in the picture.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
There was a case of an elderly lady (in her 80's) that was the victim of a violent home invasion, where the much younger perp forced her to blow him. When she got close enough, she grabbed a hold of his tea bag and twisted so hard, she caused permanent damage. He was caught. Despite being low-life gutter snipe, this guy (with his ambulance chasing attorney) sued the woman for damage to his nuts.

The judge in the case found in favor of the assailant, and awarded him $1. He said he did so because if he had ruled in favor of the woman, he could have appealed. In this case, he was awarded an amount that could not be appealed. Wive's tale? Urban legend? Who knows. But I have no doubt that it could happen. Criminals are dumb, and the slip & fall lawyers prey on that.
on the up side florida is still a stand your ground state so as long as granny is armed and can pull the trigger, all she has to do is make sure your ass is dead and you aint suing nobody lol.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I used sound it would keep going off with all the deer we have and if I had some method in my bedroom to alert me I would not get any sleep. Seems the deer are like the zombies same paths and same time frames. Pretty tough to have cameras not alert to deer as they about the same size as the kids that are door checking.

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Tend to agree. The regulars are expecting and prepared for the cameras, still get the stupid meth heads and crack addicts though ;)

That's why when we invested in new HOA cams, I went with no less than 3 dedicated Tag cams for our little culdesac street. I'm getting 95%+ on all tags in and out of the neighborhood day and night. Probably will end up being the best usable evidence we will have when needed.
Yes, I think I need cams that hit the street. From the distance and my experience with guys 6 feet from the camera (I measured) - is there any chance you can you get a readable plate at night?

Looks to me like that guy shinned the flashlight right at the camera making it useless when he was facing it also the motion light did nothing to stop him so lighting pretty much non factor and did not improve the hoodie look.
Yep, the motion lights didn't bother them at all. I want to add more lights not to scare the bad guys - but for the cameras. Also the camera has a ring of red leds when it is recording. I think those guys must have seen it, it's pretty obvious.

I also wonder what these fuck faces think they will find in people's cars? fat stacks of cash? gold bars? There isn't shit in my car at night except pocket change.
I live on a cul de sac in a relatively good/safe neighborhood. This crew hit every house on the street. Cops said they gut a wallet from my neighbor three houses down. There was nothing in my cars except - a garage door opener!!! Holy shit on that one.

They probably cruise around, hit hundreds of cars / houses in two hours, and make a decent buck for their time based on odds. The cops also told me that going into an unlocked car is basically a slap on the wrist type of crime. So these guys have low risk for the effort. Lock your doors.

The problem is you have WDR turned on. Make sure it is turned off at night or you will have all kinds of noise in the picture.
One more learning for me is that when I installed the camera I checked it out and it looked good and I called it a day. I never bothered tuning it and I never did sample recordings at night. That was a mistake.

I am convinced that my recording quality is not indicative of the hik 2032 - noone reading this should think those cameras suck. Yesterday I went through settings. gain was at 100, smart ir was off, and wdr was off. I turned gain to 80, smart ir on, and left wdr off. I still have a ton of noise. I played with moving the unit - still a ton of noise at night. I think this particular unit may be bad.

Given this was an $80 camera many years ago when I bought it, I was hoping technology had marched on - and my camera budget has increased.

I am going to go with three cameras. one on each side of the garage at opposite angles - if you are avoiding one you will get the other. I am going to add one to try and hit the street, but I am still not sure how to accomplish that. I think I need pretty high zoom for the distance to get anything usable. So far it looks like two starlight turrets and I'll spend the time tuning those, and post some new videos to compare. That's also a - not that hard wiring project.

Thanks all - I have found this a refreshing board and learned a lot.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Makes me wonder if you added a PTZ with auto tracking and had a laser attached and sighted with the camera that would light them up (vs a red light) if that wouldn't make them think twice. A low power laser that wouldn't cause eye damage would work fine at night. Sounds like you have a lot a of challenges in your neighborhood.
I actually have two PTZ's that move via triggers from the Hiks via line crossing. I can see just about every detail imaginable on the door checkers but, a low priority crime reported with clothing color, shoes, back pack and a description of their bikes would gain little attention from the police. Not to mention report would be the next day and all that info pretty much old. My point to this really is that you can have $10,000 cameras and lighting and get every zit on their face above a scarf and below the hoodie and in the end you can provide nothing recognizable or good enough for court. Up here at least if identity is not 100% then not admissible in court. In the several years I have had cameras only once I caught a kid in my truck with no hoodie and no scarf. Ends up he lives 3 doors down so what I am going to do tell his parents so the kid can harass me for all the years to come no thanks. Just lock your doors and have no lights to help them out seems to best so far.
Perhaps what I am seeing is unique up here as far as what these low life's are wearing now in terms of hoodies and scarf but is sure seems the norm the last few years and makes cameras now obsolete although I would not be without them.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I actually have two PTZ's that move via triggers from the Hiks via line crossing. I can see just about every detail imaginable on the door checkers but, a low priority crime reported with clothing color, shoes, back pack and a description of their bikes would gain little attention from the police. Not to mention report would be the next day and all that info pretty much old. My point to this really is that you can have $10,000 cameras and lighting and get every zit on their face above a scarf and below the hoodie and in the end you can provide nothing recognizable or good enough for court. Up here at least if identity is not 100% then not admissible in court. In the several years I have had cameras only once I caught a kid in my truck with no hoodie and no scarf. Ends up he lives 3 doors down so what I am going to do tell his parents so the kid can harass me for all the years to come no thanks. Just lock your doors and have no lights to help them out seems to best so far.
Perhaps what I am seeing is unique up here as far as what these low life's are wearing now in terms of hoodies and scarf but is sure seems the norm the last few years and makes cameras now obsolete although I would not be without them.
Please do tell the parents - if the parents are good they will help prevent the kid from getting worse... this is from my recent experiences... kids who grew up with parents who didn't correct now having turned their place into a drug den and have gang members visit at all sorts of hours.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Please do tell the parents - if the parents are good they will help prevent the kid from getting worse... this is from my recent experiences... kids who grew up with parents who didn't correct now having turned their place into a drug den and have gang members visit at all sorts of hours.
You dont understand..hes Canadian and scared of confrontation...its just the mentality over there...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Please don't get too excited due to my post, I'm hoping we can all gain from each other's experiences and to help not hinder the issues we all face and the decisions we all have to make.

I've watched the landlord of this family warn them and give them eviction notices, and never following through. I has gotten so very bad that I will be accelerating my installation of cameras, and perhaps ordering a couple more cameras before I have even tested the first good one I have ordered thanks to this great group of people here sharing their experiences.

So please, especially for this Easter Weekend, let's make this work well for each and everyone of us, as I have enjoyed reading both of your various posts.

Thank You

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Two thieves caught stealing from our cars. This is a hikvision 2032, and the low light of this camera has always been not that good. Thieves are 5-20ft from the camera and look at it. I have decided to invest in a better camera and am searching for a premium replacement fixed bullet cam.

What scared them off? Did you come to the door?

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I found out that from the side you almost can forget to identiefy them indeed.
They never apporached one of my cars as than i would have much better image.
So this is what i will change for next house.. The idea above from one camera in color mode and one in black and white seems a very good one.

Here the local LEO was interested to see the images. The door checkers (they actually break into cars here) had spcific bycicle and shoes with stripes. So they have some evidence if they pick someone with those shoes and specific bike at 03:50 am in a neighborhood so thy can explain what they do there. One has to be able to identify one here, so the can pick you up if you cannot or willnot i think.

There persons are not from my country in General. Free travel in th EUropean Union, and we have some poor meber states. So the fortune seekers (or without disire to work for their income legally) come over to the richer countrys.