Cam catches thieves - makes me wish I bought better camera

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Rig up a battery so that when they touch the door handle they get the shit shocked out of them, it's time to start fighting back.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

suddenstop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What scared them off? Did you come to the door?
I have no idea what scared them off, it was 3am and I was sleeping. They sure did run though.

Also, I would add, that my wife was freaked out when we found the car had been searched in our driveway. Once I was able to find it in the camera, she was so happy to see what happened. Took the mystery out of it. She's actually pumped about the camera, and is totally behind getting better ones. Even though we might not catch folks, I would still say the camera was worthwhile.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
That's what happened here, I had a cam up within two days

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
it's just funny that police won't give this stuff any priority, but we also aren't allowed to put up defenses, real defenses, not cameras, lol.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
it's just funny that police won't give this stuff any priority, but we also aren't allowed to put up defenses, real defenses, not cameras, lol.
Had a car do a hit and run on a bldg, hitting the gas pipe... police saw the damage to the gas pipe, the car and related damage on the car.. told them I have video of the car leaving the parking lot and driving out on to the street, and i heard a loud crash between those videos - but have no video along the driveway... was told "circumstantial evidence" can't do anything about it.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Had a car do a hit and run on a bldg, hitting the gas pipe... police saw the damage to the gas pipe, the car and related damage on the car.. told them I have video of the car leaving the parking lot and driving out on to the street, and i heard a loud crash between those videos - but have no video along the driveway... was told "circumstantial evidence" can't do anything about it.
I'm researching what if any defenses would be legal, such as remote controlled paintball gun etc. Maybe water sprinkler triggered by PIR sensor, I'll get creative

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm researching what if any defenses would be legal, such as remote controlled paintball gun etc. Maybe water sprinkler triggered by PIR sensor, I'll get creative
like the sprinkler idea - though parts of the USA with water shortages would have to tie it to a schedule - example it is illegal to water your lawn in the middle of the day, and some places you can only water it on odd days...

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I actually have two PTZ's that move via triggers from the Hiks via line crossing. I can see just about every detail imaginable on the door checkers but, a low priority crime reported with clothing color, shoes, back pack and a description of their bikes would gain little attention from the police. Not to mention report would be the next day and all that info pretty much old. My point to this really is that you can have $10,000 cameras and lighting and get every zit on their face above a scarf and below the hoodie and in the end you can provide nothing recognizable or good enough for court. Up here at least if identity is not 100% then not admissible in court. In the several years I have had cameras only once I caught a kid in my truck with no hoodie and no scarf. Ends up he lives 3 doors down so what I am going to do tell his parents so the kid can harass me for all the years to come no thanks. Just lock your doors and have no lights to help them out seems to best so far.
Perhaps what I am seeing is unique up here as far as what these low life's are wearing now in terms of hoodies and scarf but is sure seems the norm the last few years and makes cameras now obsolete although I would not be without them.
Could always make a FB and Instagram of neighborhood scumbags. Public shame works and will let everyone else know who to keep an eye out for.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Could always make a FB and Instagram of neighborhood scumbags. Public shame works and will let everyone else know who to keep an eye out for.

That's already in the plans if I ever catch a bastard on video, and they better hope nobody recognizes them, cuz I'm getting my justice before the cops do.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score

Not to mention if it shows their face I'll make sure the video follows them for the rest of their days, see how hard they have finding a job when every employer finds out they are a thief.

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Reminds me of news stories I have read in the past.... just an FYI, don't use electricity,

"Legal experts noted that a person is within his rights to defend his life with deadly force. But the issue of protecting one's property is a murkier area."

Old article that I remembered reading

Bar Owner Sued In Electrocution Of Intruder, 37

Area Police depts in Northern MN often seek public help on FB - usually to identify people from crappy Walmart cams, like this one they just posted:

I know moving objects are always going to be a bit blurred/pixelated but these cams suck,
hibPol.JPG

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Reminds me of news stories I have read in the past.... just an FYI, don't use electricity,

"Legal experts noted that a person is within his rights to defend his life with deadly force. But the issue of protecting one's property is a murkier area."

Old article that I remembered reading

Bar Owner Sued In Electrocution Of Intruder, 37

Area Police depts in Northern MN often seek public help on FB - usually to identify people from crappy Walmart cams, like this one they just posted:

I know moving objects are always going to be a bit blurred/pixelated but these cams suck,
View attachment 17284

wow, come on walmart, get some decent cameras, you have the money, sheesh. they write shoplifting off though, doesn't cost those dickbags a cent.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
wow, come on walmart, get some decent cameras, you have the money, sheesh. they write shoplifting off though, doesn't cost those dickbags a cent.
that is the typical quality you see from large stores...

cainrand

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
makes it seem like the cameras are there more to try and scare people from doing things than actually have usable images lol they may as well be dummy cams.
Another issue is that that no one seems to know how to get a snapshot from the software. Instead, the officer gets out his phone and takes a snapshot of the monitor.

Take a snapshot using BI and you get a ton of snaps to choose the best ones from.

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Another issue is that that no one seems to know how to get a snapshot from the software. Instead, the officer gets out his phone and takes a snapshot of the monitor.

Take a snapshot using BI and you get a ton of snaps to choose the best ones from.
you know, I haven't needed to take a snapshot from blue iris in so long, I don't even remember where they go lol.

mando209

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The thieves knew there was a cam there.i think they been eyeing that neighborhood for a bit or they live nearby.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

JFire

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Most places it's illegal to set booby traps. Wal-Mart here will aggressively prosecute shoplifters. I get a lot of retail theft warrants.