Cam System Advice

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new but motivated to pull together a camera system with up to $1200 budget minimum 6(8 preferred) camera system, storage for playback with mobile access to view live. To be fair, I've read both resources Wiki and Cliff Notes multiple times and through hundreds of threads. Thank you for all those who contributed to educating with detailed information. I'm just hoping I can get tested and tried advice to connect the dots in my head.

Plan:

3 rear outdoor cameras - 2 inside corners and 1 outside corner install under soffit.
1 inside corner cam will have light, others little to no light. Prefer 1 of these have audio. Purpose is to capture all angles around my sun room/yard.

1 front door camera for face detection in light, with audio.
1 driveway cam mounted on garage with little light
Last cam either to double up front door or I'll mount on my front yard lamp post at the end of driveway facing front of house.

If I can get 8 cams, the other 2 would be indoor.

I don't have brand preference but would like best value for the money. I've read through all the Dahua and Hikvisions, turret vs dome, BI etc. Too many choices and I'm struggling. I don't need to max out my budget if I don't have to. Any advice would be appreciated. Please me know if I can provide any additional info.

Thanks,

MD

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
IMO, these are the two most popular "general purpose" cameras. They're popular because they're Dahua Starlights (best bang-for-buck for low-light performance), they're turret, and they're varifocal -- you can set the zoom during the install so your image is the exact width that you want):
Review-Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE
Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231RP-ZS Starlight Camera-Varifocal
(the 2231 does not have audio, but is a bit less expensive than the 5231)

This is a popular door/porch camera that should work well inside for your corner cam too:
Front door ID camera IPC-HDBW4231F?
(there isn't a "big" review thread for this model, but if you search for "4231 door", you should find more threads about it)

Dahua Starlights are easy to order from a trusted forum vendor (Andy, @EMPIRETECANDY). The forum here (IPCT) has recently started selling some Hikvision models under their own brand, but I don't think they have any low-light varifocal turrets or mini-domes like the 4231F-AS yet.

Spend an hour or two playing around with the IPVM Camera Calculator V3 tool. Type in your address, pull up the image of your house, add/position a specific camera model and move the little pin (man) around to see what the image should look like. I think you can only add 3 cameras at a time, but take some screenshots and show us what your layout actually looks like.

Reaction score
@aristobrat thank you for the info. Very cool simulator. Do you know if the cams on there are current to what's available?

Took some screenshots.

Thanks,

MD

Attachments

Reaction score
I've continued reading intermittently and still having difficulty putting a package/system together. Everytime I come across a thread that's asking what I'm hoping to gain information from, OP are referred to the wiki / cliff notes. This reference is not for everyone. I learned the basis and functionality of cameras from it but this isn't something where I can invest loads of time into. Do the vendors help with packaging a setup for you?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've continued reading intermittently and still having difficulty putting a package/system together. Everytime I come across a thread that's asking what I'm hoping to gain information from, OP are referred to the wiki / cliff notes. This reference is not for everyone. I learned the basis and functionality of cameras from it but this isn't something where I can invest loads of time into. Do the vendors help with packaging a setup for you?
You were literally pointed to the threads discussing good cameras.
if you cant invest a few hours to read threads and the wiki (im sure you dont watch any tv), then hire someone to install cameras, 90 percent chance you will get an inferior product, 100 percent chance you will be overcharged. This is a DIY forum, not a do it for you forum.

Reaction score
Ironic, I get reactions to tell me nothing of substance than I did when I needed valuable information after providing as much details as I could. I'll return when I'm retired, sitting in my lazy boy with nothing better to do than troll camera forums. Good day.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ironic, I get reactions to tell me nothing of substance than I did when I needed valuable information after providing as much details as I could. I'll return when I'm retired, sitting in my lazy boy with nothing better to do than troll camera forums. Good day.
Dont let the door hit you on the way out. Lazy fucks are not welcome.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi @MyNameIsMiles

Did you miss the following post which Aristobrat replied to your question?
Cam System Advice

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Aristobrat provided great advice and I went and read up on each link. Where I'm struggling is putting a system together with the various recommended cameras. Each one has so many different features it's a bit overwhelming.
Our apologies for failing to post a disclaimer that an IQ of at least 80 is required to understand the threads and the wiki. As such you should hire a professional for assistance. We are sorry for the the time you have wasted in a failed attempt to do this on your own.