Camera App

Bear123

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok, i have to know the answer to this. I have a security camera system at home that has an app. Can someone break in, and download and the app and have access to my camera? Would they have to have access to my account or could they create their own???

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, i have to know the answer to this. I have a security camera system at home that has an app. Can someone break in, and download and the app and have access to my camera? Would they have to have access to my account or could they create their own???
If you scanned a QR code with your phone or entered a UID number (either furnished with the cam) then you're using P2P (peer to peer) which is cloud-based. It's unlikely your cam will be hacked by someone breaking into your home and downloading the app, unless your wrote the the password down where they can find it OR you used a very weak password that they would guess.

They could create their own account but I'm not sure the cam would work if they scanned the QR code, as that'd be one cam shared by 2 accounts; may work only if they knew the set-up password, but not sure.

It's more likely that someone would hack the P2P connection/cloud server to gain access, and that's especially possible when using no-name, white box Chinese cams.

Stick with the brands named in the Wiki (Dahua, Amcrest, Hikvision) I pointed out to you in your other thread and buy from @EMPIRETECANDY and you should be OK.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HI @Bear123

Cyber security is complex, and there are numerous ways to breach any IT security.

Basically, if your camera is accessible on the internet - then there is a chance for it to get "broken into".

To reduce those chances, we typically recommend using a VPN and not port forwarding your internet connected camera(s).

Also remember, that cloud service providers have also gotten breached - and people who use the same user / password combo for all of their cloud services will be targets once any one account gets compromised.