Camera doesn't trigger unless I am actively watching it

Reaction score
Got a strange issue, and it has taken a while to determine this is what is going on. I have a camera in my garage. My brothers would come in and borrow tools etc. But I had a push notification alert enabled, and I wasn't getting one when they went into the garage. I'd go back to the recordings, and there wouldn't be any recordings either. So after double checking the trigger and recording options and not finding anything out of the ordinary, I tried deleting the whole camera, renaming it (in case the naming would cause it to pick up any previous settings, idk), and readding it as a new camera, it is doing the same thing.
However, when testing, I open the camera up on BI, either the web app, my phone, or the admin window. As long as I am actively watching it, it triggers just fine and I get the push notification.

I am thoroughly confused. I have had issues with this camera, I'll say that. It kept losing it's password. That seems to have repaired itself with a firmware upgrade. The model is a HIKVision DS-2CD2132F-IS if that matters.
There is plenty of room for me to be wrong, but I just don't see how it could be the camera's fault. It outputs a stream. BI opens a stream for viewing/recording. The camera wouldn't know if I was watching that stream or not.

Hoping for help,

-Jake

Reaction score
Everything is default, and the same as the others which are working:

upload_2018-11-24_16-41-14.png

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What type of make model phone? What is the power setting mode? If your phone has power saving modes, turn them off? Test

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Got a strange issue, and it has taken a while to determine this is what is going on. I have a camera in my garage. My brothers would come in and borrow tools etc. But I had a push notification alert enabled, and I wasn't getting one when they went into the garage. I'd go back to the recordings, and there wouldn't be any recordings either. So after double checking the trigger and recording options and not finding anything out of the ordinary, I tried deleting the whole camera, renaming it (in case the naming would cause it to pick up any previous settings, idk), and readding it as a new camera, it is doing the same thing.
However, when testing, I open the camera up on BI, either the web app, my phone, or the admin window. As long as I am actively watching it, it triggers just fine and I get the push notification.

I am thoroughly confused. I have had issues with this camera, I'll say that. It kept losing it's password. That seems to have repaired itself with a firmware upgrade. The model is a HIKVision DS-2CD2132F-IS if that matters.
There is plenty of room for me to be wrong, but I just don't see how it could be the camera's fault. It outputs a stream. BI opens a stream for viewing/recording. The camera wouldn't know if I was watching that stream or not.

Hoping for help,

-Jake
Here is my guess. You have enabled "limit decoding" and therefore there it is not properly triggering. When you open the mobile app, limit decoding is disabled and it triggers. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause the symptoms described.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You're right, @Jake Reindl ...you DO "got a strange issue". Wish I could be of more help. I hope @fenderman has it, although you said viewing the cam via its webGUI or BI's console would allow the cam to trigger. (fingers crossed)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You're right, @Jake Reindl ...you DO "got a strange issue". Wish I could be of more help. I hope @fenderman has it, although you said viewing the cam via its webGUI or BI's console would allow the cam to trigger. (fingers crossed)
Note, all frames are decoded when a camera is open in fullscreen, that is what I assume he meant by watching it in the admin window. It will also decode when viewing the web browser.

Reaction score
Here is my guess. You have enabled "limit decoding" and therefore there it is not properly triggering. When you open the mobile app, limit decoding is disabled and it triggers. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause the symptoms described.
You were spot on! I disabled it and walked around in there with all clients closed and went back after a few and it had recorded everything!

Thanks a lot for that!

Not sure I can trust "Limit decoding" now...