Camera location advice please

kinigo270

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am after some feedback on suitable locations for placing the cameras. Don't want to go overboard or make it look like a jail.

At the front door I will have an ip doorbell, so after some advice if I should move th3 middle camera provision in entrance to the left corner a) and should I place the right one at garage to location b)?

If I left as per the diagram, would the garage camera work and capture enough if it is around 600mm to the left of the brick pillar?
Other thing I'm not sure about for the middle section is if it is too high or would a hikvision doorbell setup cover the entrance just fine.

Looking at getting the latest hikvision ip cameras.

Thanks image001.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Those locations are too high unless they are overview cams. All you will get is top of heads and hoodies. See chart below. You lose all of the IDENTIFY distance in the vertical direction. Unless it is for an overview or it is a varifocal camera aimed out at the distance to "flatten the angle", you need to stick the cameras no more than 7 or 78 feet high. For a garage, if cars will be parked outside, you need at least two cams there - one on either side of the garage pointing in a criss-cross pattern.

Paint the cams to match your house and people won't notice them.

You need to identify the areas you want to cover and pick a camera designed to cover that distance. In some instances, it may be a 2MP or 4MP that is the right camera. DO NOT CHASE MP!!!

It is why we recommend to purchase one good varifocal and test it at all the proposed locations day and night to figure out the correct focal lengths and cams.

A few other tips....It is simple LOL do not chase MP - do not buy a 4MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/1.8" sensor. Do not buy a 2MP camera that is anything smaller than a 1/2.8" sensor. Do not buy a 4K (8MP) camera on anything smaller than a 1/1.2" sensor. Unfortunately, most 4k (8MP) cams are on the same sensor as a 2MP and thus the 2MP will kick its butt all night long as the 4k will need 4 times the light than the 2MP... 4k will do very poor at night unless you have stadium quality lighting (well a lot of lighting LOL). Starlight, ColorVu, Full Color, etc. are simply marketing terms, so don't be sold on those names.

To identify someone with the wide-angle 2.8mm lens that most people opt for, someone would have to be within 13 feet of the camera, but realistically within 10 feet after you dial it in to your settings.

1642128622427.png

My neighbor was bragging to me how he only needed his four 2.8mm fixed lens 4k cams to see his entire property and the street and his whole backyard. His car was sitting in the driveway practically touching the garage door and his video quality was useless to ID the perp not even 10 feet away. Meanwhile my 2MP varifocal optically zoomed 60 feet away to the public sidewalk provided the money shot to the police to get my neighbors all their stuff back. Nobody else had video that could provide anything useful, other than what time this motion blur ghost was at their car.

Here are my general distance recommendations, but switch out the Dahua 5442 series camera to the equivalent 2MP on the 1/2.8" sensor or equivalent Hikvision works as well. These cameras meet all your requirements.
  • 5442 fixed lens 2.8mm - anything within 10 feet of camera OR as an overview camera
  • 5442 ZE - varifocal - distances up to 40-50 feet (personally I wouldn't go past the 30 foot range but I like things closer)
  • 5442 Z4E - anything up to 80-100 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 60 feet but I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - anything from 80 feet to almost 200 feet (personally I wouldn't go past 150 feet because I like things closer)
  • 5241-Z12E - for a license plate cam that you would angle up the street to get plates up to about 175 feet away, or up to 220 with additional IR.
  • 49225 PTZ - great auto-track PTZ and in conjunction with an NVR or Blue Iris and the cameras above that you can use as spotter cams to point the PTZ to the correct location to compliment the fixed cams.
You need to get the correct camera for the area trying to be covered. A wide angle 2.8mm to IDENTIFY someone 40 feet away is the wrong camera regardless of how good the camera is. A 2.8mm camera to IDENTIFY someone within 10 feet is a good choice OR it is an overview camera to see something happened but not be able to identify who.

One camera cannot be the be all, see all. Each one is selected for covering a specific area. Most of us here have different brands and types, from fixed cams, to varifocals, to PTZs, each one selected for it's primary purpose and to utilize the strength of that particular camera.

So you will need to identify the distance the camera would be from the activities you want to IDENTIFY on and purchase the correct camera for that distance as an optical zoom.

If you want to see things far away, you need optical zoom, digital zoom only works in the movies and TV...And the optical zoom is done real time - for a varifocal it is a set it and forget it. You cannot go to recorded video and optically zoom in later, at that point it is digital zoom, and the sensors on these cameras are so small which is why digital zoom doesn't work very well after the fact.

kinigo270

n3wb
Reaction score
You are a legend, appreciate the advice and tips. I will reconsider the pre-cable position and heights to get some better options

Thank you

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am after some feedback on suitable locations for placing the cameras. Don't want to go overboard or make it look like a jail.

At the front door I will have an ip doorbell, so after some advice if I should move th3 middle camera provision in entrance to the left corner a) and should I place the right one at garage to location b)?

If I left as per the diagram, would the garage camera work and capture enough if it is around 600mm to the left of the brick pillar?
Other thing I'm not sure about for the middle section is if it is too high or would a hikvision doorbell setup cover the entrance just fine.

Looking at getting the latest hikvision ip cameras.

Thanks View attachment 118198

Welcome @kinigo270

What is your functional requirements?

Example: In the USA we have a lot of car door checkers and package thieves.. so for me I want a chance to ID those suspects and see if I have a package by the door.

Reaction score
I started off with 4 cameras along my 2nd roof line to act as general overview. After security events, I changed to have 4 cameras at 5' level for the sole purpose to catching a face. Rest are the typical under 1st floor roof ease.
My figuring...I do not give a rats ass if someone thinks my house looks like a jail. They are not paying for the punctured tires.

kinigo270

n3wb
Reaction score
Main purpose is to capture visual and be able to identify anyone who comes up driveway night or day. I have moved the centre one at house entrance to be about 3mt high.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Main purpose is to capture visual and be able to identify anyone who comes up driveway night or day. I have moved the centre one at house entrance to be about 3mt high.

HI @kinigo270

Please see the DORI section of the cliff notes then.

Unless you want to ID further away from the house ( and have cameras which have stronger lenses ) then you will want to mount the cameras lower. ( perhaps about 2 meters high .. )

Is the home already built?

kinigo270

n3wb
Reaction score
No not built yet, hopefully about to start soon. Just getting in all my wiring provisions first so it's all ready.

kinigo270

n3wb
Reaction score
Detection range from garage to road would be around 9-10 meters. Would be good to have a camera strong enough to if at around 8mt but don't want them to stand out like a sore thumb. It's a good neighbourhood but want peace of mind if an event happens, I can view footage to ID. Front camera heights will be around 3mt now rather than having high on top floor eaves to get big overview. Is vari focus still the way to go? Dome or turret style ?

Thanks

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Detection range from garage to road would be around 9-10 meters. Would be good to have a camera strong enough to if at around 8mt but don't want them to stand out like a sore thumb. It's a good neighbourhood but want peace of mind if an event happens, I can view footage to ID. Front camera heights will be around 3mt now rather than having high on top floor eaves to get big overview. Is vari focus still the way to go? Dome or turret style ?

Thanks

Hi @kinigo270

Plan to run more cables for IP / low voltage while it is cheap.

The cliff notes has some suggestions for cameras.

Most of us find out that we end up needing more cameras than we imagined at first, and we need them lower than many builders would like to place them.

Now would be a good time to pick up one good varifocal camera to play with and learn more.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
First get an alarm system, coverer all doors, break glass and open windows sensors. Cameras are for surveillance, after the fact. Cameras are not an alarm system.

My house
============================================
1) the front door needs three cameras, one doorbell camera pointing out, one pointing at the package drop area, one pointing back to the front door.
2) the garage entrance Needs two cameras pointing out mounted no higher than the top of the garage door. Each side of the door.
3) the inside of the garage need two cameras one point at the garage door and one point at the house entrance
4) each entrance to the house must be covered by a camera.
5) each camera must be covered by another camera, If i can destroy a camera it must be covered, recorded by another camera.
6) in my house all public areas inside are covered, kitchen, living room, dining room, halls, game room, den
7) all outside doors are covered by a camera inside, pointing out.
8) I currently do not have any license plate reader cameras, but it is on the todo list.

Reaction score
Do this:
install a temporary camera on a pole at the height where you think looks best to you.
After the sun goes down, put on a jacket with the hoodie over your head. Walk around your house and "act" like a evil intention person would (lots of home videos of door checkers, car breakins, front door breakins, etc). Review footage.
Is that footage clear enough to give to the police for identification purposes? Or does the footage reveal a blurry darkened sasquatch or Elvis that can not be clearly identified?
Then, make your decision if you are happy with the camera location and if the $$$ spent on the camera did the job your expected it to do.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Thanks

Hi @kinigo270

Do see the notes on Dome cameras before buying them .. In general most members prefer turret cameras ..

I only use dome cameras indoors and the mini-dome models ( mini-dome wedge ) for the face level cameras by the doorsbrickhousenew-cameras-au.png

update: and one more camera on the opposite side of the garage covering the front of the house

Last edited: