Camera locations

Moondog

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Everyone -- been lurking here a bit taking in as much of the info as I can. Amazing resource and community.

I currently do not have a system. Based on what I've read I'm thinking of the following..

• 8 cameras... but probably get a unit that can take 16 so I can add.
  • Turret style with varifocal lenses
  • Maybe a mixture of hi-res and cams that do better in low light (i.e. 2MP with 1.8 to 2.8 sensors)
  • Mounted 8' or slightly lower to get better facial recognition

I intend to get an off-the-shelf NVR to start (Lorex probably). But I do like tech and to tinker and so after I get it setup, I'll work on eventually migrating to Blue Iris. Just don't want to jump into that from the beginning. Outside of the extra money, any problems with this?

Below is how I intend to setup my cams. The red lines are the exterior doors.

Would appreciate your comments/suggestions on the below schematic.

Thanks
Eric

camera locations.JPG

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Get one good quality variable focus camera, get a test stand set up. Test each location at night, get a bad guy hearing a hoodie. Can the Cops ID them, will the video standup in court.

use a test mount to verify the camera mount location. My test rig: rev.2

IPC-HDW5442t-ZE .... Dahua IPC-HDW5442T-ZE 4MP Varifocal Turret - Night Perfomance testing -- variable focus 2.7 mm-12mm 4 MP Starlight
IPC-B5442E-ZE ...... Review - OEM IPC-B5442E-ZE 4MP AI Varifocal Bullet Camera With Starlight+ -- variable 2.7mm-12mm bullet

============================================
MY HOUSE
1) the front door needs three cameras, one doorbell camera pointing out, one pointing at the package drop area, one pointing back to the front door.
2) the garage entrance Needs two cameras pointing out mounted no higher than the top of the garage door. Each side of the door.
3) the inside of the garage need two cameras one point at the garage door and one point at the house entrance
4) each entrance to the house must be covered by a camera.
5) each camera must be covered by another camera, If i can destroy a camera it must be covered, recorded by another camera.
6) in my house all public areas inside are covered, kitchen, living room, dining room, halls, game room, den
7) all outside doors are covered by a camera inside, pointing out.
8) I currently do not have any license plate reader cameras, but it is on the todo list.

========================================================

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
securitycameras-eric.png
Hello Everyone -- been lurking here a bit taking in as much of the info as I can. Amazing resource and community.

I currently do not have a system. Based on what I've read I'm thinking of the following..

• 8 cameras... but probably get a unit that can take 16 so I can add.
  • Turret style with varifocal lenses
  • Maybe a mixture of hi-res and cams that do better in low light (i.e. 2MP with 1.8 to 2.8 sensors)
  • Mounted 8' or slightly lower to get better facial recognition

I intend to get an off-the-shelf NVR to start (Lorex probably). But I do like tech and to tinker and so after I get it setup, I'll work on eventually migrating to Blue Iris. Just don't want to jump into that from the beginning. Outside of the extra money, any problems with this?

Below is how I intend to setup my cams. The red lines are the exterior doors.

Would appreciate your comments/suggestions on the below schematic.

Thanks
Eric

View attachment 117375
Looks very good Eric @Moondog

Test each location before drilling holes to confirm your locations ..

Due to your "corner" property, I would plan for a few more cameras to cover the curve and perhaps the wall by the pool.

Those areas seem like a vector that an intruder may use.

Moondog

n3wb
Reaction score
View attachment 117377

Looks very good Eric @Moondog

Test each location before drilling holes to confirm your locations ..

Due to your "corner" property, I would plan for a few more cameras to cover the curve and perhaps the wall by the pool.

Those areas seem like a vector that an intruder may use.
Thanks -- The wall on the sidewalk next to the pool is about 9' to 10' which is impossible to see from this picture. Yeah I think I will add some more outward facing cameras. Damn, I'm up to like 12 already ha ha .. Based on some of the reading I've done on this sight seems par for the course!

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
Matt nailed it. A couple of cameras at those locations would cover that approach space well. I fully understand you wanting to protect the private areas, but it's almost certain 90% of attackers will approach from that frontal area.

Good door coverage is essential as it's a major entry point to your home. Again a lot of brugalrs will come through a door not a window and home invasions or attacks will probably occur on the foorstep.

You could probably lose the camera top left by the pool facing along the back of the house asthat area is covered by the camera looking along the back from the other corner, unless there's a vulnerable entry point by the pool not shown on the aerial view. That camera can be assigned to cover one of the views highlighted by Matt and then another camera added for the other viewpoint to give a total of 9 cameras. All that assumes the cameras on the fron give a good front door view. If not, you need a camera dedicated to cover the front door and that's not lookign straight out buteither back towards the door or along the house towards the door so any issues at the door can be captured.

Reaction score
Get one good quality variable focus camera, get a test stand set up. Test each location at night
This is very important^.

Plans change. Buy that one cam and test out your plan. Each location needs a description of what you plan to achieve with that cam. If you do not have that objective defined, you will fail to have a system that will perform when needed. There is a difference to being able to see what 'happened' and IDENTIFYING the perp. To get a good shot of a face, you need to be close enough or zoomed in enough.

Build it a little at a time. As you progress you will gain knowledge and insight as to what cams can do and where to place them. Troughing up 8-10 cams all at once might work, but a phased plan will definitely be better in the long run.