Camera model assitance with questions

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi,

I've read through the Cliff Notes section- and am looking for some guidance.

This particular camera will be placed outside, on a front porch, under an eave facing easterly, it will be 9.3' high~. The sun will not really affect this camera due to position and trees. I like the idea of a dome due to not knowing where it could be pointed but am interested in turrets as well.

What I'm looking for:

• Clarity during the day, ability to spot a face/LP well from a distance if needed
  • Clarity at night, for this spot, the camera will have enough light for the driveway to not need IR (I think) but would like to have good IR if needed

Any advice is appreciated with this. Does 2.8mm vs 4mm affect image detail?

I will be using Blue Iris.

Hikvision DS-2CD2385G1-I
8MP - turret style, 1/2" sensor, DarkFighter, EXIR 2
--- I've been reading here that larger MP for small sensors is not good, but what about this model?

DS-2CD2347G1-LU
4MP - turret style, 1/1.8" sensor, No DarkFighter
--- Reading through the spec sheet, this emits a visible light vs IR? I'm not sure that I want that pointing down my driveway or side of the house. I like that it has a microphone.

I'm not attached to this brand but this is the price range that I'm in. I've seen some friends cameras, Trendnet, etc and the Trendnet 4k doesn't look the best.

Here's a phone capture of the driveway: pic.jpg

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Reading through the spec sheet, this emits a visible light vs IR?
That's correct.
But the low-light sensitivity is such that the supplemental white light may not be needed.
Check out some reviews and comparisons :

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the links... very good reading. Being that my drive way (link in 1st post) is lit by 3 lights, I wonder which one would perform better at night? I plan to get another camera either on the shed (not pictured, to the right) to face towards the porch or one to left of this camera facing left to the house windows- that I would not what the light coming from the camera.

Being that the sensor is 1/2" and 8MP, is that a problem, clarity/quality wise in day/night on the DS-2CD2385G1-I ?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
The DS-2CD3386G1 8MP used as comparison in that review isn't quite as good as the ColorVu 4MP in low light.
If you have always-on white lights in your driveway you might find the ColorVu model works better.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just watched a video in one of the linked reviews where they compared the ColorVu and Darkfighter series... impressive. I may give this one a try... Clarity wise though for picking up LP and facial detail still good during the day and night from say 30 feet?

2.8 vs 4mm? I borrowed a 2.8 and it covers a bit and I realize that the 4mm will be a little tighter (this video has some good comparisons). Is there any quality or detail differences the two or is it just the focal distance?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
For facial detail what's important is the 'PPF' (pixels per foot) value. The wider the field of view, the less detail for a given distance.
I don't have a link just now but there are links to a simulator that a forum Search will yield.

For licence plate spotting - the experience is that it needs a dedicated camera with specific exposure settings.
There are many threads on that topic with real-world examples.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hmmm, I wish that we had a local supplier for these cameras, it would make testing easier. I may go with the 4mm first and can always return.

Jake1979

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Does that flood light come on at motion or how is it configured?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Does that flood light come on at motion or how is it configured?
No, it's not motion activated. I've suggested that as a feature request.
The white light LEDs can be enabled / disabled, and set for auto or manual light level under schedule control.