Camera placement advice needed pls...

Lowpost99

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello I am a newbie to security cameras, but a techie in general. I have purchased a 6 camera system from Lorex with LNB8005C cameras. I know to place cameras at about 8ft high, and that's pretty much all I really feel comfortable about. I'm mounting them to my home which is brick facia, on a US(GA) two story home built in 2000. Mounting on the second-story reads as a no-no for me, especially as the rear slopes on both sides to a southern exposure basement. The soffits would be 36 feet away from the ground easily. So I think I'm going to drill through the caps from the basement, and drill the brick from the outside and use a magnet to fish out a chain link tied to my fishtape or the fishtape itself if it grabs well, and pull my cables up and out through the brick. I need suggestions on NVR placement, basement (I've read they are noisy) and camera placement and settings advice. In my picture there is a street lamp at the end of the driveway that I think may create some kind of image issues at night possibly. The cameras are Lorex, LNB8005C I think they may Dahua cameras if any one knows which please let me know. The arrow in the picture are due to a 4 camera limit on the website I used to create the basic picture with. The one pointing at the street is from my front door and the one in back is from under the two story deck pointing at the basement door. Thanks in advance!
mycameras1.jpeg

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

1) You need to add a camera point down the driveway. Get the FEDX, UPS, USPS man and the package snatchers.
2) I do not cover the sides of the house unless you have doors on the side.
3) on the top of the picture is that a garage, if so cameras on both sides of the garage door. Max height is the top of the door. Cover the parked cars.
4) camera mounted next to the front and back door. Max height is 6-7 ft.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Lowpost99

Yes, they are Dahua OEM cameras. ( you can see a thread here on those cameras, and if you want you can even replace the lens with a stronger one )

Consider getting the Dahua PFA121 junction box as you are mounting on brick and may want to make the smallest holes for passing the cable through.

Lorex also sells those junction boxes - currently 25% off w/CYBER25 - also try FRIENDS for 30% off

From Lorex
Outdoor Junction Box for 4 Screw Base Cameras

The Dahua OEM PFA121 version can also be sourced from other vendors, including those on Ali

Lowpost99

n3wb
Reaction score
I updated my camera placements here: I added the lamp post to see if you have advice on pointing the driveway camera in its general direction when it will be on every night. Also I moved the cameras off the side of the house with no door/windows and put it above the deck door in the rear(YELLOW). I put the last camera overlooking the walkway and the front door as a 2nd camera on the front door (GREEN). Tell me if you think the driveway should super cede the front door. I have motion floodlights on the bottom corner of the house pointing to the SE, and another set at the basement door #1 pointing out SW. We have manual floodlights on the top corner of the house pointing in the general direction of the cars and the beginning of the walkway.mycameras2.jpeg

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Nice job on changing up the camera layout.
Please test the use of the cameras with the flood lights before installing. For some reason I like the use of IR for night.