Camera Suggestions for new home installation

johnnyo333

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello ALL, I recently setup a QNAP TVS-471 w/QVR Pro.

I rushed and purchased (2) Reolink 410 and (4) Reolink 420 and a Sunba 601DX PTZ w/night vision. What a mistake. Compatibility issues and a total nightmare. I could get the Reolinks to work fine, but lacking features. I could never get the Sunba to work at all with QVR Pro.

Since I've joined this forum and have poked around I now see that my camera choices may have been a mistake.

I will be returning everything to Amazon immediately and I want GOOD quality cameras but I am on a budget. The Reolinks would work, the quality is OK but they lack many features I would like... tripwire in particular.

I will pass on a PTZ for now (it was really just a toy) and I will add either a feature rich Dahua or Vivotek at a later date.

Things I'm looking for in a camera

2MP - Great quality for both Day / Night
90-120deg field of view
Compatibility and works well with QNAP QVR Pro
IVS features so I could use tripwire or similar
Outdoor rated w/POE
H.264 at a minimum - H.265 would be nice but not a deal breaker
Audio

NOT wanting any wireless cams. We have run outdoor UV / Direct burial rated Cat6 cabling for everything already.

I am attaching photos and a rough camera layout. Cams 6 & 7 will more then likely end up being added at a later time.

20180513_192135921_iOS.jpg 20180513_192145928_iOS.jpg home.JPG johnnyohouse_Cams2.jpg

I've got a budget total of $800 for 6 cameras. It seems this forum is really hot on Dahua cams but I'm looking for multiple suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

JohnnyO

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello ALL, I recently setup a QNAP TVS-471 w/QVR Pro.
I've got a budget total of $800 for 6 cameras. It seems this forum is really hot on Dahua cams but I'm looking for multiple suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

JohnnyO
Welcome JohnnyO

Your diagram indicated a couple of outdoor dome cameras - recall the numerous issues with domes, thus recommend a turret.

"I've got a budget total of $800 for 6 cameras. It seems this forum is really hot on Dahua cams but I'm looking for multiple suggestions."

Suggest checking out what Nelly has available at their website.
Nelly's Security

Remember the notes.
IPCamTalk WiKi | IP Cam Talk

johnnyo333

n3wb
Reaction score
I could place outdoor bullets or turrets where i've indicated domes.

I work for a very large corporation and we deploy high dollar Vivotek systems all over Canada/US/Mexico. These are all 50+ cam systems involving 2 NVRs.

Honestly, personally I'm at a loss for my "home" system.

It's like a generator technician who has 9 WORKING generators in his shop who doesn't even have one setup at home.

I'll definitely checkout Nelly's security per your suggestion.

Regards,

JohnnyO

johnnyo333

n3wb
Reaction score
I see all of Nelly's cams are no label Cams. Anyone know which cameras they actually are ?

JohnnyO

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I haven't been here much lately, but Dahua starlights have been held in high regard. I don't think you can go wrong with starlights.

These are nice, but would push your budget just a bit.
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
The previous poster is a good source for Dahua cams.

Good luck
Randy

johnnyo333

n3wb
Reaction score
You also can use dahua ones, there has plenty talking here. Make some research.
I’ve deployed Dahua NVRs and cams. I like them.

I’m also very familiar with the Vivotek.

I was hoping to get other suggestions.

Andy, contact me and let me know what you suggest. I’m interested to see what you offer.

johnnyo333

n3wb
Reaction score
I haven't been here much lately, but Dahua starlights have been held in high regard. I don't think you can go wrong with starlights.

These are nice, but would push your budget just a bit.
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)
The previous poster is a good source for Dahua cams.

Good luck
Randy
That post is a year old. I wonder if the pricing is the same and if it’s been replaced by something else.

Can you use turrets where you’d use bullets ?

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I’ve deployed Dahua NVRs and cams. I like them.

I’m also very familiar with the Vivotek.

I was hoping to get other suggestions.

Andy, contact me and let me know what you suggest. I’m interested to see what you offer.
ok I Send you a PM, dahua cams price never drop, only stop production and use new model replace it.