Camera that can see license plates in the night

ibexes

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

So I'm a complete noob to CCTV. I recently bought a Swann 8 Channel Security System: 5MP Super HD NVR-8580 channel system and upon testing it in the dark, I noticed that a pointing it to a car about 15m away would result in a white area over the license plate. Quickly looking into this, I came across Number Plate recognition unable to see due to IR reflection | Swann Support Community.

The system only needs to be able to at least see the license plates. I'm not sure what the requirements are to overcome this and where I'd be able to find a camera for this use case (that sells to the UK). Going through some of the posts within this forum suggests cameras (I am very New to LPR Camera and Cameras in general) but I run the fear of buying the wrong one (given that they are expensive and may be shipped from the US).

Edit (28/12/2018): just so you know I haven't forgotten about ya'll, I just haven't gotten around to installing them outdoors for purpose yet. Will post back/update this in an edit for anyone that may be interested in future.

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

So I'm a complete noob to CCTV. I recently bought a Swann 8 Channel Security System: 5MP Super HD NVR-8580 channel system and upon testing it in the dark, I noticed that a pointing it to a car about 15m away would result in a white area over the license plate. Quickly looking into this, I came across Number Plate recognition unable to see due to IR reflection | Swann Support Community.

The system only needs to be able to at least see the license plates. I'm not sure what the requirements are to overcome this and where I'd be able to find a camera for this use case (that sells to the UK). Going through some of the posts within this forum suggests cameras (I am very New to LPR Camera and Cameras in general) but I run the fear of buying the wrong one (given that they are expensive and may be shipped from the US).
Welcome @ibexes -

You have to specially tune the camera to do this and the result will be that it will ONLY see the license plate at night.

Do take some time to read the LPR section, tuning of cameras to do this, as well as reading up on the preferred low light cameras by members here - the Dahua OEM 2MP starlight cameras ( available via Andy who can ship to the UK ). The cliff notes are a great place to start your rapid knowledge gain here.

Reaction score
Some Swann cameras use optics and internal electronics made by Dahua. If so, there's a possibility that you can log in directly to the camera's internal web server, and adjust the exposure and gain to capture license plates, provided you have enough resolution without optical zoom.

As @mat200 pointed out, a camera can be optimized for general nighttime viewing, or nighttime LPR, but not both. If you are unable to access any advanced exposure settings for the Swann cameras, then a Dahua Starlight camera is your best recourse.

Reaction score
In looking at the NVR-8580 user manual online, it appears that you do have control over the exposure and shutter times for individual cameras using the Swann interface, so there's no need to access any internal web server on the camera. You should be able to adjust a camera for nighttime LPR with some experimentation.

ibexes

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thank you both for the quick replies (@mat200 and @wtimothyholman). The booklet is very helpful, shame it wasn't easy to find and that I wasn't able to get hold of it before purchasing.

I'm not familiar who Andy is, but a quick google of the camera takes me to https://www.amazon.com/Dahua-Starlight-Camera-2-7-12mm-Motorized/dp/B0763SWNPW - if that's the right one?

Meanwhile, thanks for taking the time to read the manual for me, I'll try and play around with the settings and determine the best course of action.

If there's anything I can do to give back to the community lmk!

Edit: for reference, are there any guides for "obvious" first steps to fine tuning? I.e. like some optimum parameters?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Thank you both for the quick replies (@mat200 and @wtimothyholman). The booklet is very helpful, shame it wasn't easy to find and that I wasn't able to get hold of it before purchasing.

I'm not familiar who Andy is, but a quick google of the camera takes me to https://www.amazon.com/Dahua-Starlight-Camera-2-7-12mm-Motorized/dp/B0763SWNPW - if that's the right one?

Meanwhile, thanks for taking the time to read the manual for me, I'll try and play around with the settings and determine the best course of action.

If there's anything I can do to give back to the community lmk!

Edit: for reference, are there any guides for "obvious" first steps to fine tuning? I.e. like some optimum parameters?
@ibexes - please see the vendor section here on ipct

The particular camera you pointed to on Amazon is a coax analog version, and a dome. Look for the IP POE version. Model numbers do make a difference, so try to find model numbers which members here have done reviews on as there are a lot of models available and you'll want to start with something others here have some experience on so you can read from their experiences on solving any configurations and setup issues.

In general for outdoors members here recommend the turret as the first choice of form factor, and then bullets which do not have IR leds rings around the lenses.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've seen some threads in the LPR sub-forum where folks exchange some tuning advice.

LPR seems to be as much art as it is science. If you have the time, take some time and read as many of the threads in the LPR forum as you can. Many of them talk about specific camera models, most of which should have their own separate review threads on the forum here. Almost everyone on the forums here are helpful, especially the LPR crowd. :)

Last edited:

Slp82

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

catcamstar

Known around here
Reaction score
I am pretty new here, but this is the camera I am thinking of using for dedicated license plate capture. Maybe someone has a better recommendation, but from what I have read in the cliff notes, it seems like this has some serious potential:

US $197.6 5% OFF|2017 Latest New Arrival 2MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera IPC HFW5231E Z5 , free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
I've got the same cam pointed to my driveway, with almost no ambient light, it grasps the plate during night, only during the grey zone (when ir turns off) the plates are fluffy. Good luck!

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am pretty new here, but this is the camera I am thinking of using for dedicated license plate capture. Maybe someone has a better recommendation, but from what I have read in the cliff notes, it seems like this has some serious potential:

US $197.6 5% OFF|2017 Latest New Arrival 2MP WDR IR Bullet Network Camera IPC HFW5231E Z5 , free DHL shipping-in Surveillance Cameras from Security & Protection on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
There's a Z12 model too. I thought I remember reading someone saying the aspect of the lens of the Z5 didn't work as well for them vs a Z12. If you haven't already, you might want to drop both cameras on the map at IPVM Camera Calculator V3 and make sure the image is wide enough for you at whatever distance you'll be aiming at.

Reaction score
There's a Z12 model too. I thought I remember reading someone saying the aspect of the lens of the Z5 didn't work as well for them vs a Z12. If you haven't already, you might want to drop both cameras on the map at IPVM Camera Calculator V3 and make sure the image is wide enough for you at whatever distance you'll be aiming at.
Agreed, get the -Z12E (successor to the -Z12) instead of the -Z5. That extra amount of zoom may be necessary, and the price differential is relatively small.

carbonita

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
A consideration for the z5 vs z12 is the need for external IR illumination. The HDW5231R-ZE I have at the driveway apron captures more plates using both external and internal IR sources than either alone. AFAIK, larger zoom is great (all else equal), but the IR doesn't zoom, so if illumination is required at a distance, a remote IR source (to where the cam is zoomed) may be needed.