Cameras seem to be hacked

AstroIROC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have several Hikvision cameras set up in a home running on Blue Iris software the cameras periodically stop showing up in Blue Iris because the admin password does not work any longer. So I'm assuming they are being hacked. What should I do to prevent this

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have several Hikvision cameras set up in a home running on Blue Iris software the cameras periodically stop showing up in Blue Iris because the admin password does not work any longer. So I'm assuming they are being hacked. What should I do to prevent this
Hi AstroIROC

Are you port forwarding?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
you must disable all port forwarding and UPNP BOTH on the router and the cameras.
there is no need for this when using blue iris.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like they are hacked for sure. As @fenderman said, disable upnp on both the router and cameras and do not forward the camera ports. If you're using international versions of the cameras (non-chinese) then you could update your firmware (which isn't necessary). But make sure to do your homework on this first as you can come into issues when updating firmware with grey market cameras.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
as for recovering your cams, one way is a factory reset if you have physical access (via reset button on the back or inside the cam body).
Then run SADP to find them on your network and set them up again, after disabling UPNP in your router and rebooting it to clear any previously opened ports...

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
My own opinion, for what that is worth, is that you should not update the firmware just for security reasons. Instead, prevent the cameras from internet access and don't worry about their vulnerabilities anymore. In fact, use their vulnerabilities to your advantage (for resetting forgotten passwords, for example).

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) disable port forwarding, do not use scanned QR, disable uPNP at your router and in the camera, do not use P2P.
2) reset the cameras and reconfigure in blue iris.
3) block the cameras from the internet, either use a seperate network, (two nic cards in the BI PC) or at the router block the camera mac addresses
4) to remote access the BI machine use a VPN, use openVPN or a similar product. NOT commercial purchased VPN software.
5) do not use cloud anything.
6) at the camera level I do not set the gateway address, or the DNS address to valid addresses, but i do not think that this helps.

if the cameras are HACKED chinese cameras, they may have been infected before you purchased them.

AstroIROC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will disable the UNPN in the router and cameras. will Blue Iris still show cameras on mobile devices with port forwarding off? I'll try it both ways to see TY

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will disable the UNPN in the router and cameras. will Blue Iris still show cameras on mobile devices with port forwarding off? I'll try it both ways to see TY
If you are forwarding the http (web server) port of BI then yes, you can see your cameras outside of your network using the BI app.

My own opinion, for what that is worth, is that you should not update the firmware just for security reasons. Instead, prevent the cameras from internet access and don't worry about their vulnerabilities anymore. In fact, use their vulnerabilities to your advantage (for resetting forgotten passwords, for example).
I tend to agree with this, especially after seeing several people bricking their cameras after updating firmware. The best thing is to never port forward the ports on the cameras themselves. If you want to port forward instead of the VPN route (which many do), then just forward the BI web server port.

AstroIROC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a way to get the cameras to be viewable from the internet without port forwarding.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your cameras were hacked because the cameras were port forwarded, not blue iris.
Blue iris does not need the cameras themselves to be port forwarded. Its pointless.
For blue iris itself, its best to use a vpn.

AstroIROC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The cameras were not port forwarded, The sever that runs the Blue Iris software is port forwarded so the mobile Blue Iris software can access the cameras. At least that's how I'm understanding it

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a way to get the cameras to be viewable from the internet without port forwarding.
Yes def, check out the VPN portion of the wiki.

The cameras were not port forwarded, The sever that runs the Blue Iris software is port forwarded so the mobile Blue Iris software can access the cameras. At least that's how I'm understanding it
It def sounds like the cameras were port forwarded OR UPnP was turned on, on the cameras and router. Either way, disable upnp on both the cameras and in the router, remove all port forwarding rules and check out the VPN portion of the wiki.

AstroIROC

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It def sounds like the cameras were port forwarded OR UPnP was turned on, on the cameras and router. Either way, disable upnp on both the cameras and in the router, remove all port forwarding rules and check out the VPN portion of the wiki.
UPnP was on on the router and cameras, but the only port forward that was used was to the sever for blue iris