Cameras selection

Mahtiponti

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello,

I am choosing new cameras at this moment and I thought that, do I need a nvr box? Like if I want to buy this model
--> DS-2CD2183G0-IU
can I connect that camera to this?
-->
I don`t want to use any nvr boxes but I want to get these cameras to my wifi home network and use these cameras also with my phone. Is that a solution?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am choosing new cameras at this moment and I thought that, do I need a nvr box? Like if I want to buy this model
--> DS-2CD2183G0-IU
can I connect that camera to this?
-->
I don`t want to use any nvr boxes but I want to get these cameras to my wifi home network and use these cameras also with my phone. Is that a solution?
terrible solution. See wiki and start reading.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
A very bad idea. How many cameras are you planning on running like this. If you are not recording what is the purpose of the cameras ?

More megapixel is not necessarily better.
Do not use wifi cameras. Any wifi signal can be jammed or blocked. WIFI is not for security or surveillance. WIFI is OK to look at birds or the deer walking across your property.
Use Dahua starlight cameras or Hikvision darkfighter cameras if you need good low light cameras.
Camera Sensor size, bigger is general better Sensor Size Chart

I have a lot of doubts abut it working, I have tested 4 2MP cameras on a 2.4GHZ wifi band, it would not work. The network was saturated with collisions and loss data. One 8mp camera may work but that is it.

Read Study Plan before spending money

Please read the IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes and other items in the IP Cam Talk Wiki. (read on a real computer, not a phone). The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read How to Secure Your Network (Don't Get Hacked!) in the wiki also.

Mahtiponti

n3wb
Reaction score
I only want to secure my own home. Also we don't live in big city close to other buildings, so I don't believe that we need any pro models. But I don't want to come hacked. So the best solutions is that nvr box with wifi connection + cameras, right? Could you recommend some kind of good cameras/models to me?