Can POE Cables Go Underground?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Mike K

1. Almost nobody ever has to meet code for low voltage wiring, because almost nobody has any code to meet.

2. Go Cat6, only 20' or so I'd lay down a 1in conduit.. it'll have plenty of room for all 4 cables, and give you the ability to run a few more if you decide you need a place to hide and watch basketball.

3. If you glue your conduit together with PVC solvent and dont leave them open ended, they will remain dry and frost line wont have any effect..

t_andersen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
nayr, this unit looks really fine but I am a little uncertain about grounding. It requires connection to a stable ground. A big part of my system has no ground. The 12 V supply is floating and so is the switch, the router, the IP phone adapter, the fiber modem. I am uncertain about the computer though. I wonder if it can actually make things worse to tie part of the ethernet system to a jumping ground while the rest is floating. Maybe we should start a new thread on this because a lot can probably be said and it is important for any installation in a rural area.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
put that ont he outside of your primary building, hopefully near your other service entry ports and you can simply run a nice thick piece of copper to whatever they are grounded to, probably a rod right at the base of the house.

If there are no grounding points anywhere near your entry point, well then go grab a 8ft copper clad grounding rod from your LHS and get to hammering.. if you have a post driver that'll make it alot easier... You should grab another one and go hammer one outside your remote building and give it something to ground to as well with all those coffee machines and stuff running in there.

Copper Water pipes are great points to ground to, once they leave your building they go under ground for hundreds or thousands of feet.. and they are solid copper, these combined provide you a connection to earth thats hard to beat.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I didn't say burying emt. PVC is considered conduit if you didn't know. I'm not doing your leg work for you. I'm trying to point you in the right direction and all you want to do is start acting like an a$$. Just because you've done it and nobody said anything before does that make it right?? I've been an electrician since 1994 and deal with many forms of conduit for years. The first thing a good electrician does is ensure everything is up to code specs. If you want to do your work your way that's fine. For me, the work being done to code is important. I'm not bashing you for it, I'm just stating from my own experience and what I've done.

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The clients that I've been dealing with are very specific and like to know everthing that is going to go on with the install and want to ensure everything is correct. I dont have a problem showing them in wriring. Thats how I earn their trust. Same thing when I do alarm installations. Every piece of equipment and the programming has to be done in accordance with something. I can't just slap a box on the wall and say we'll it works.

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am also very interested in finding lightning arrestors that are affordable. I run two Ethernet cables in a conduit to another building some120 ft away and I have had an old system seriously damaged by a lightning stroke. All the equipment is running on an APC UPS that handles surges on the power supply side but I fear inductive transients over the Ethernet cable from a nearby lightning stroke. Zorac's protector look really fine but it's made for a big system and quite expensive...
they have some smaller stuff too. i run all my external cameras as well as my dsl/router/voip through the device and needed the large number of ports

t_andersen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run gigabit through one of the ports with no issue, haven't noticed a difference, but I didn't do speed test on it though, I didn't see any difference copying files over the network. the version I picked is rated for gigabit though and it is poe friendly, which is very handy if your running a poe switch or have your injection behind the surge protection. Make sure you watch which version your getting as there are slow ones.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
** TheUberOverLord has been stalking me since we broke up, sorry to bring the drama in here **

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
** See above and below **

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have confirmed that the user attacking nayr is in fact uberoverlord or someone associated with him. I have banned him for the third time now.

Neffy

n3wb
Reaction score
I agree with this comment we use the Ubiquiti Nano Stations now since it is priced right and works very well up to a 1/2 mile no problem.

We have run POE underground and using burial cable with a thick jacket and a greased insulated cabling in a conduit. With rain filling up the underground cable pits you definitelyhave to make all connections water tight with silcon or you will have to go back you redo your work. Speaking from experience not fun but I learned from my mistakes.
You can get away with a lot less work if you already have electricity at each of your buildings. You might be able to get a powerline networking kit to connect between the buildings, and if not, you can probably set up Ubiquiti radios (NanoStation Loco M5) for a really nice point to point wireless bridge that can push 100 Mbps 24/7 without breaking a sweat.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree with this comment we use the Ubiquiti Nano Stations now since it is priced right and works very well up to a 1/2 mile no problem.
So now I'm starting to wonder if this bridge works REALLY well, does anyone think It might be possible to forgo the Comcast connection at my farm where all my cameras are, (and which is about 1-1/2 miles away from my home), and tie the farm network into my home LAN. I thought a saw somewhere where the radio link might be good up to 25 kilometers? It looks like the Ubiquiti Nano Stations go up to M5 but???

The cable company has not connected to my building yet and it is going to be expensive to do so.

Am I dreaming.

ncwbob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
So now I'm starting to wonder if this bridge works REALLY well, does anyone think It might be possible to forgo the Comcast connection at my farm where all my cameras are, (and which is about 1-1/2 miles away from my home), and tie the farm network into my home LAN. I thought a saw somewhere where the radio link might be good up to 25 kilometers? It looks like the Ubiquiti Nano Stations go up to M5 but???

The cable company has not connected to my building yet and it is going to be expensive to do so.

Am I dreaming.
Can you see in a direct line from your home to your farm? If so, you can certainly get a wireless bridge that will go that distance, be it the Ubiquiti Nano Station or something else.

Bob

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
totally doable, a directional point to point bridge is nothing like a standard point to multipoint wifi network.. most of the time they are rock solid and with equal radios on both ends the speeds and distances are amazing on 5GHz

line of sight is the key, if you can get the 2 antennas in view of eachother with no obstacles its a piece of cake... lightning protection is the biggest issue.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
totally doable, a directional point to point bridge is nothing like a standard point to multipoint wifi network.. most of the time they are rock solid and with equal radios on both ends the speeds and distances are amazing on 5GHz

line of sight is the key, if you can get the 2 antennas in view of eachother with no obstacles its a piece of cake... lightning protection is the biggest issue.
It sounds like it would not work if the line of site is a very firm prerequisite. Although there is a small lake between my home and the farm I'm reasonably sure there are some elevation differences and a house or two, or more between the two. I,m wondering, is there a low cost method to check the point to point potential without actually buying the equipment? A mile and a half is not a short distance to be sure of an obstruction free condition. Any thoughts on this?

Line of sight.jpg

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
depends on how high up your willing to go :)

know anyone with a video capable drone?

put big bright light on a pole at a reasonable height at your remote site.. launch a drone up from your main site and see how high it has to get before it see's the light.

building a few towers that can withstand the elements is not cheap, but its a one time cost up front.. with no monthly billing and you own the infrastructure.
check out: http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Tilt-Over_Mast

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
As a mater of fact I do know a person with a drone, but the camera is mounted to point down. Not sure that would work. Maybe. Thanks for the antenna link. I'll look it over.