Can POE Cables Go Underground?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Overly complicated. Ubiquiti has very cost-effective equipment that would be faster and operate over distances far exceeding 20 miles.

@Mike K, try this out: https://airlink.ubnt.com/

It is not always perfectly accurate but it is better than nothing.

For over 1 mile but less than 3-5 I would suggest these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9ZIEJC

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ncwbob

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Actually I found your location from the screenshot and plotted it. Looks like you would need something like 20 meter towers at both ends to get fully clear of the terrain. So it really isn't very practical.
Well as it turns out, towers can some times be had for cheap. You can also easily build your own out of steel tube if you are going to use support wires. I seen TV antenna towers on top of peoples houses [the old days] that looked to be 50 ft tall. These are made out of extendable tube and fixed in place with guy wires.

Here is a story about a man who needed a tower for internet service. The story is pretty in depth and he ends up finding a tower for free but incurs the cost to install it.

Bob

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Bp2008 has a good suggestion with the Nanobeams but I'd suggest the M2 variety for better penetration of near or no LOS applications. Maybe skip M9 stuff which is even better for penetration just because of its low bandwidth although depending on what you want to do with it re: camera streaming or just some "free" 'net for phones or viewing one cam at a time from the other location it might be fine, particularly if the M2s won't connect.

Link them together locally to prove they're working then move one to the remote location and see if they'll find each other. Skipping a big monthly bill is worth a lot of fiddling around.

That said, you might be out of luck without tall towers. If you'll stream cameras from one to another then unless you've got unlimited data then towers will be cheap in the long run. Running the bridge stations up trees temporarily might tell you if towers will work before forking out the cash.

My advice re: M2 penetration may be offset by 2.4ghz interference trashing up the airwaves from neighbours though. Your location has a few of those. M5s have less of that problem. With a tricky location I guess what everyone is saying is possibly not but the attempt is worth it with your money. Report back with what you try. :)

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
** TheUberOverLord has been stalking me since we broke up, sorry to bring the drama in here **
Not the same TheUberOverLord from the Foscam forum is it!?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Not the same TheUberOverLord from the Foscam forum is it!?
And from on here. In volume.
Sounds like you missed the sometimes amazing dialogues ... makes me chuckle just thinking about it.
A very technically knowledgeable person - with a unique style - but would never admit to actually being wrong - and with the very very bad habit of forever revising previous posts to totally change the content, meaning and ruin the flow.

LeeH

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How interesting!

I started out on there as my first 3 cams were Foscams, he was very helpful.

I guess he's been cast out into Foscam wilderness then.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
How interesting!

I started out on there as my first 3 cams were Foscams, he was very helpful.

I guess he's been cast out into Foscam wilderness then.
He was always with foscam...there he simply bans you if you disagree or say anything negative about foscam, since he is the mod...here he could not do that and it pissed him off...

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Some on here had what could be described as 'Battle Royals' with him.
Even I had some lengthy and vigorous 'dialogue', usually triggered when I deigned to correct a significant inaccuracy that he would not acknowledge, resulting quite often in 'dog's abuse' and many derogatory comments.
He'll be reading this right now, plotting the next metamorphosis.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Throwing in my $.02. It has been said of conduit..."it's not if it will leak, but when." As others have stated, and IMO, the reason for conduit is to protect the cable from damage. Purchase the highest quality gel-filled cable rated for direct burial and you'll be good to go brother. smiley20.gif

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
TheUberOverLord, the name says it all.. I picked my handle when I was 5 years old, and so did he.. mine is simply a palindrome, his is a symptom of his ego.. anyone want to take any bets he calls his junk the 'uber overlord jr'?

He is a retired old fart whom technology has left in the dust, he attacks me because I refuse to put my resume in my signature.. or fix any typo's in it.. what he dont get is I am employed by a company many people in this industry and forums use, and I dont want to be chained to my employer.. they just pay me, they dont own me and I dont drink the kool-aid so your more than likely going to find me recommending one of our competitors... which kinda puts me in a bind.. so I remain anonymous and let my actions speak on my behalf.. only Uber doubts that I was basically raised inside a datacenter by racks of servers.

I cant help but thing of the big ugly Zerg Bugs from StarCraft called OverLords.. ('Your Overlord is under attack' is burned into my brain)

Masejoer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I cant help but thing of the big ugly Zerg Bugs from StarCraft called OverLords.. ('Your Overlord is under attack' is burned into my brain)

SPAWN MORE OVERLORDS

You're not alone - trigger words! ;)

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Throwing in my $.02. It has been said of conduit..."it's not if it will leak, but when." As others have stated, and IMO, the reason for conduit is to protect the cable from damage. Purchase the highest quality gel-filled cable rated for direct burial and you'll be good to go brother. View attachment 9638
This comment makes good sense to me. I will be doing exactly what you suggest for my fiber trunk line between my two buildings. The photos below show the schedule 40, 1" PVC conduit witch we just finished constructing. The circuit was assembled with a cord in it for pulling the multi mode LC (underground) cable.

IMG_1885.JPGIMG_1888(1).JPGIMG_1890(1).JPGIMG_1891(1).JPGIMG_1892(1).JPGIMG_1897.JPG

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This comment makes good sense to me. I will be doing exactly what you suggest for my fiber trunk line between my two buildings. The photos below show the schedule 40 PVC conduit witch we just finished constructing. The circuit was assembled with a cord in it for pulling the multi mode LC (underground) cable.
Nice install work!

j4co

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Interesting. I will have for my new house a garden house in the back of the garden. (12 meter away or so, we not have large pieces of ground here -> €€€€€)

i forsee i might need to do solar warm water collectors there (not PV) and feed them back to the garage attached to the house where the heat pump and the heat exchanger etc are. So i would need a conduit under ground.
As there is nothing now, and like 40 cm of soil needs to be added, it will be relatively easy to have the contructor make an exit from the garage at -60 cm level and dig 20-30 cm deep trench and add conduit before they bring on the 40 cm of soil.

i would have to bring power, ethernet (fiber perhaps) and the water/glycol lines.

What would be advisable ? Seperate the wet from the dry cables (will need to inspect the local code i assume)
Or do a large diamter tube and put smaller inner tubes (flexible) for the power and ethernet an next to that the water/glycol.

barryrod

n3wb
Reaction score
I would run Direct Bury shielded Cat5E in conduit with lightning arresters (I use ONEAC) on both sides. I am a telecom technician in South Florida and in my experience, lightning and water intrusion are the devil.

I can not comment on the frost line issue cause down here, WTF is a frost line lol.

Mike K

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would run Direct Bury shielded Cat5E in conduit with lightning arresters (I use ONEAC) on both sides. I am a telecom technician in South Florida and in my experience, lightning and water intrusion are the devil.

I can not comment on the frost line issue cause down here, WTF is a frost line lol.
The ONEAC is a lightning arrester brand name?

My plan is to ground my system from both ends/buildings/WAN. I will also use a central surge suppressor for all components using AC, witch will be placed between the wall outlets and the PDUs. This is a single plug interface, by TrippLite, that plugs into the wall outlets.

I want to use a direct underground duplex multi-mode, LC, fiber trunk line (still looking). That way if the conduit leaks or breaks up the line is still ok. This is a switch to switch connection. This fiber cable will be approximately 80' long.

The rest of my cabling for cams and all other network devices will be Cat 6. The patch panels with Cat6 couplers are already assembled.