Cannot get IP camera to work

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm glad I found this place. I wish I'd found it before I bought all these other cameras :) :). Anyway, you're going to get fed up with me asking questions, so I will apologise now. The amount of money I have wasted is ridiculous. I just need three or four cameras and one dome camera which will monitor my front door.
Asking questions is good. Most all of us here were new to the game at some point.
Be sure to study the attachment I shared above. Avoid using dome cameras outdoors.

Ironside69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Asking questions is good. Most all of us here were new to the game at some point.
Be sure to study the attachment I shared above. Avoid using dome cameras outdoors.
Okay. I will certainly take that advice on board. I've seen a nice little package with eight bullet cameras.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay. I will certainly take that advice on board. I've seen a nice little package with eight bullet cameras.
Hello Ironside69, sorry to read you are having issues. You are in he correct place though, this forum is excellent for CCTV help. I would advise before you go buying a new kit etc, keep updating the forum with what you are thinking of buying and exactly what you want to acheive i.e face shots at 10 metres from camera in dark conditions etc. I have learnt so much from this forum. Kits are great but it would be rare to find one that can acheive all your goals as decent NVR's and IP Cameras are not cheap. I am a week away from replacing all my cameras that came in a kit because the NVR was not up to much and gradually i bought better cameras that can see good detail in the dark etc. You may find you can get a decent NVR and 4 decent cameras from Andy or other Suppliers / Members of the forum than you would pay for a kit. With each camera being bought for a set purpose. A good example is the Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua) mentioned etc. Still never heard of a camera without a reset button, that is not good. The Dahua cameras are normally good, Hikvision are also normally good though, hence surprised to hear of your issues. I have not looked through the whole thread but maybe consider letting the forum know of a set budget and what you want from that budget and let the members try and recommend something that falls within. Personally though if you are happy with the cameras and your only issue is network related, I would persist until fixed. Keep well.

Last edited:

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
With apologies for the intrusion -
You really don't need to buy new equipment just because of a password problem.
You've had lots of help and guidance and haven't quite got there, but it will be possible, just needs to get back to basics, you've been all over the place.

Ironside69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With apologies for the intrusion -
You really don't need to buy new equipment just because of a password problem.
You've had lots of help and guidance and haven't quite got there, but it will be possible, just needs to get back to basics, you've been all over the place.
I'm more than happy with the quality of the picture I get from my system. Obviously, not having a reset button has turned out to be a massive inconvenience. I have now got to rely on Hikvision to issue new passwords. And as of yet they don't seem to be offering any help whatsoever. I suppose I will just keep pestering them until they help.

Ironside69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm able to access my NVR with a password. One of the cameras is activated and we know the password. However, the box still won't recognise it. Would it be worth deactivating the camera and starting over?
If the box is still good, then I don't need to replace that. Maybe I could just get two or three much better quality Hik vision cameras

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm able to access my NVR with a password. One of the cameras is activated and we know the password. However, the box still won't recognise it. Would it be worth deactivating the camera and starting over?
When you say the box won't recognise it, what do you mean please i.e it does not show up when you do a camera search from the NVR interface or something ?. I assume it's a Hikvision box, only ask as I run Hikvision cameras from a Dahua box and to do that, you need to switch onvif on in the cameras web interface first.

Ironside69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When you say the box won't recognise it, what do you mean please i.e it does not show up when you do a camera search from the NVR interface or something ?
Yes. If I set the box back to factory default when you get to the section where you plug the camera in and then click search. The NVR doesn't seem to recognise the camera that is plugged in.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes. If I set the box back to factory default when you get to the section where you plug the camera in and then click search. The NVR doesn't seem to recognise the camera that is plugged in.
OK, sorry if you have already said this in previous messages but let's start from a few basics. What is the NVR's IP Address and is the IP Camera on the same subnet as that NVR ?. Have you tried adding the camera manually, simply tell the NVR what the IP is of the camera and the username and password. If you are plugging the camera directly into the NVR POE ports with the camera set to DHCP, the camera should get given a new IP by the NVR, probably starting with 10. And have no issues seeing the camera. If you are going via a POE switch though, then a few more things need to be in place.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can use the SADP tool to search for the camera and that will tell you it's ip address, if you don't know it already.

Ironside69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can use the SADP tool to search for the camera and that will tell you it's ip address, if you don't know it already.
I can see the camera in the SADP And can see the IP address. I'll see how my friend gets on with the box and cameras. If he doesn't have any luck. Then I will have another go. Thanks

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can see the camera in the SADP And can see the IP address. I'll see how my friend gets on with the box and cameras. If he doesn't have any luck. Then I will have another go. Thanks
Are you seeing the camera IP while it's still plugged into the NVR, if so, please advise what it is and what the IP of the NVR is, please note that theirs no security issue supplying such as they are internal IP addresses. It will help the forum members advise easier. Personally I am new to Hikvision, all I know is my new Hikvision did not show up on my Dahua NVR but when I added it manually by IP, Username and Password it worked fine. I doubt you even have to switch onvif on if it's a Hikvision Box talking to Hikvision cameras. But someone more used to Hikvision's will confirm on that.

Ironside69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you seeing the camera IP while it's still plugged into the NVR, if so, please advise what it is and what the IP of the NVR is, please note that theirs no security issue supplying such as they are internal IP addresses. It will help the forum members advise easier. Personally I am new to Hikvision, all I know is my new Hikvision did not show up on my Dahua NVR but when I added it manually by IP, Username and Password it worked fine. I doubt you even have to switch onvif on if it's a Hikvision Box talking to Hikvision cameras. But someone more used to Hikvision's will confirm on that.
No, when the cameras are plugged into the NVR. You can't see them in SADP. I'll report back when I have some more news.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
No, when the cameras are plugged into the NVR. You can't see them in SADP. I'll report back when I have some more news.
Thanks, that's why I was surprised. I am assuming you have a Poe switch then to plug the camera into and hence how you are powering up and seeing the camera using SADP ?. If so, have you tried going to the web interface of the IP camera, setting the network to DHCP, make sure the gateway is set to same as NVR and then place a cable from switch to NVR POE Port or Just straight into the Internet Port of the NVR if that POE switch already has a connection to your router. As the only reason I can see that the camera won't show up is it's got a static IP on a subnet not the same as the NVR and hence the NVR cannot see it and as it's not set to DHCP it cannot correct the issue.

dgwasw

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, when the cameras are plugged into the NVR. You can't see them in SADP.
SADP will find the cameras plugged into the NVR POE ports if you connect a PC/laptop to a unused NVR camera port

then place a cable from switch to NVR POE Port or Just straight into the Internet Port of the NVR if that POE switch already has a connection to your router.
Hikvision NVR POE ports are only for one camera and should not be connected to the Lan.
Regarding his working camera. My understanding is he has it working via POE injector but not on his own Lan or NVR.
Hikvision NVR POE ports default IP range is 192.168.254. *

If his NVR and Camera has the same Password it may connect under plug & play.
If not I would open NVR camera management page, view the IP for a unused channel which will be similar to D1 192.168.254.2. With SADP modify the camera present IP address to match the NVR channel . It should now connect with manual setting using the camera password.
Post 11 has a image from my Hikvision camera management page and post 15 how to change from plug/play to manual.

Edit re password

Last edited:

Ironside69

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay guys. I think we may be getting somewhere with support from HIKvision. They sent me an email this morning requesting the XML file. I plugged in a different camera this morning and opened it up in SADP. Initially, it showed an IP address of 192.168.254.xx. However, the gateway field was empty. So I manually entered in the gateway for my computer and then ticked the DHCP box. I entered the password which was rejected. However, the IP address then changed to 192.168.1.125. I can now access this camera from a browser. However, I need the correct password now. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Night-Owl

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Okay guys. I think we may be getting somewhere with support from HIKvision. They sent me an email this morning requesting the XML file. I plugged in a different camera this morning and opened it up in SADP. Initially, it showed an IP address of 192.168.254.xx. However, the gateway field was empty. So I manually entered in the gateway for my computer and then ticked the DHCP box. I entered the password which was rejected. However, the IP address then changed to 192.168.1.125. I can now access this camera from a browser. However, I need the correct password now. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
Perfect, let me know how you get on with Hikvision, I am not happy about hearing of this password reset stuff and days to get your password reset etc. Sounds appalling.