Cant reset Laview Cameras Password

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
LV-PB912F4C are the cameras I have without the reset button, and I cant reset them on my nvr. Any idea to get them back working?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe under laview its 3.457 or 3.5 around there.
OK, so I'm wondering if it really is a Hikvision OEM model, as that version doesn't match Hikvision firmware versions.

But just for a total long shot - use the browser to query the camera like this and see what if anything happens :
http://<camera_IP_address>/System/configurationFile?auth=YWRtaW46MTEK

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nope, nothing happened but a google service when I hit enter, but I found the firmware:

Device name: Network Video Recorder
Model: LV-N9508Q8E
Firmware: V3.4.97 build 171114
Encoding version: V5.0 build 170918
Web version: V4.0.51 build 171107

Not sure how I can find the information on the camera firmware, but this is the set it came in from newegg:

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Nope, nothing happened but a google service when I hit enter, but I found the firmware:
That's the NVR, not the camera.

Assuming the camera is connected to NVR PoE ports - connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port and see if SADP can find the camera and the firmware version :

Any idea to get them back working?
What is the original cause of the problem?
If you factory-reset the NVR, the cameras will still be using the original NVR admin password.

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score

Device name: Network Video Recorder
Model: LV-N9508Q8E
Firmware: V3.4.97 build 171114
Encoding version: V5.0 build 170918
Web version: V4.0.51 build 171107
That's the NVR, not the camera.

Assuming the camera is connected to NVR PoE ports - connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port and see if SADP can find the camera and the firmware version :

What is the original cause of the problem?
If you factory-reset the NVR, the cameras will still be using the original NVR admin password.
Oh ok, long story short, I bought a cheap ptz camera from another brand, plugged into my port 4 of my nvr to test it out, then I plugged the original camera in port 4 back in, and it would not come back on (i believe the password was needed). So my family was lashing out because of the camera not working, asking for a immediate fix.

I assumed by factory restoring the nvr, it would reset things back to normal, which it didnt, now all of the cameras are showing user name or password is incorrect.

I launched SADP and I only see the nvr listed.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
now all of the cameras are showing user name or password is incorrect.
In the NVR web GUI, modify each channel to change the password to that used on the NVR before you factory reset it.
That should re-connect the cameras.

I launched SADP and I only see the nvr listed.
With the PC connected to an unused NVR PoE port?
That's unexpected.

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
In the NVR web GUI, modify each channel to change the password to that used on the NVR before you factory reset it.
That should re-connect the cameras.

With the PC connected to an unused NVR PoE port?
That's unexpected.
I honestly dont remember the password to the cameras, only the the verification code and the current password of my NVR.

As for the 2nd question, I dont quite understand. Should I plug in a laptop into one of the bottom ports of the NVR (like 5-8)?

The way its running now is the router and cable modem is in my room, and there is a cat 5e cable that goes from there up to the attic and way in a different room of family who are obsessed with these cameras. It actually leads to a tp link 5 port, which one port is used for the nvr. All the cameras are poe so they are way running from outside all the way through the attic to the nvr.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't remember the old password of the NVR?
That's likely to still be the cameras password.

Yes - the suggestion is to see the cameras status and firmware versions by connecting the PC to an unused NVR PoE port.
But it sounds like the NVR is not very accessible.

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You don't remember the old password of the NVR?
That's likely to still be the cameras password.

Yes - the suggestion is to see the cameras status and firmware versions by connecting the PC to an unused NVR PoE port.
But it sounds like the NVR is not very accessible.
No i dont. Not the slightest clue.

each camera status is saying username or password is not correct.

Attachments

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
No i dont. Not the slightest clue.
Nor the rest of the family, if they used the NVR?

And here are the firmware versions.
Well done for getting there.
What I'd hoped for was that the firmware version would be old enough that the camera configuration file could be extracted without credentials using a security vulnerability, and the password decrypted from the file.
Unfortunately - the oldest firmware is just new enough that the security vulnerability has been fixed.
So scratch that idea.

The product literature suggests the LV-PB912F4C has 'one touch reset' ie a reset button.
But you've stated that the cameras don't have any reset buttons.
On that basis, and with no help from LaView tech support, the next method of resetting would be to use the tftp updater to re-apply the same version of firmware as is currently installed.
This would need access to the camera cable, which I'm guessing isn't very accessible.
Do you have a 12v power adaptor that could be used for the camera?

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Nor the rest of the family, if they used the NVR?

Well done for getting there.
What I'd hoped for was that the firmware version would be old enough that the camera configuration file could be extracted without credentials using a security vulnerability, and the password decrypted from the file.
Unfortunately - the oldest firmware is just new enough that the security vulnerability has been fixed.
So scratch that idea.

The product literature suggests the LV-PB912F4C has 'one touch reset' ie a reset button.
But you've stated that the cameras don't have any reset buttons.
On that basis, and with no help from LaView tech support, the next method of resetting would be to use the tftp updater to re-apply the same version of firmware as is currently installed.
This would need access to the camera cable, which I'm guessing isn't very accessible.
Do you have a 12v power adaptor that could be used for the camera?
I believe I have a 12 v power adapter, but I dont quite understand the process.

So I need to download TRTP and follow the steps provided?

Also the way the cameras are hooked up are they are outside plugged up from the poe cable and run through the attic into a hole that leads to the nvr, so I can pull out the cables from the nvr easily.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I can pull out the cables from the nvr easily.
OK, so here is a suggestion ti try to get the cameras reset to defaults due to the lost password.

When the Hikvision tftp updater is used to apply firmware, the device settings are reset to defaults.

There are a couple of potential obstacles.
Some forum users appear to have been able to use the Hikvision tftp updater and Hikvision firmware on their LaView LV-PB912F4C cameras, so that's promising. But not guaranteed it will work.
The Hikvision tftp updater doesn't 'catch' very well with PoE-connected cameras, but multiple attempts may yield success.

So - assuming the NVR PoE channels are set to 'Plug&Play', which is the default :
Download and unzip the Hikvision tftp updater into a new folder on your PC.

Download and unzip the 5.4.5 firmware from here (I'm guessing from other posts that these are OEM Hikvision R2 series cameras) :

Connect the PC to an unused NVR PoE port.
Change the PC IP address to 192.0.0.128
Start the tftp updater - double-click tftpserve.exe
Click OK to the Windows firewall prompt.
Check the the tftp updater shows 'listening on 192.0.0.128'
Run SADP to see the status of the cameras.

Now - unplug one of the LV-PB912F4C cameras, wait a few seconds, and re-connect it.
Check what the tftp updater window shows.
Success will be if 'System update completed' shows.
SADP will initially show the camera as 'Inactive' (refresh to show) and after a couple of minutes will change to 'Active' as the NVR finds it, activates and configures it.

If it doesn't work the first time - try again a few times.
The PoE connection does cause timing issues with the tftp updater - it may be that it will never work when powered this way - or maybe it will work first time.
I'll keep my fingers crossed.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
"resend required" means the data got corrupted and the block was transmitted again.
But that should not stop the send being completed.
Presumably you have WiFi disabled on the laptop?

What's good is that the camera has established a connection to the tftp updater.
That's an important and necessary first stage.
It just needs to get to the point where the file transmit completes, andd is validated, and applied.

Just a thought - is the laptop plugged in the same group of 4 ports as the camera?
I don't know if that matters, but it's another variable.
The normal way of doing this would be with camera and PC both wired to a switch, as opposed to hoping the NVR PoE ports work well enough as a switch.

GaryTX87

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
"resend required" means the data got corrupted and the block was transmitted again.
But that should not stop the send being completed.
Presumably you have WiFi disabled on the laptop?

What's good is that the camera has established a connection to the tftp updater.
That's an important and necessary first stage.
It just needs to get to the point where the file transmit completes, andd is validated, and applied.

Just a thought - is the laptop plugged in the same group of 4 ports as the camera?
I don't know if that matters, but it's another variable.
The normal way of doing this would be with camera and PC both wired to a switch, as opposed to hoping the NVR PoE ports work well enough as a switch.
Yes i disabled my wifi (should i enable it)?

The laptop is plugged in port 5 of the NVR (should i unplug one of the cameras)?

I actually do have a tp link 5 port switch. So i would plug all 4 cameras and laptop to the switch, then run the switch to one of the ports of the nvr?

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
I actually do have a tp link 5 port switch.
That's worth trying.

To do that -
Connect both the PC and the camera to the switch.
WiFi should be off on the laptop.
Start SADP - just to see the status of the camera.
Start the tftp updater.
Then power up the camera using the 12v adaptor.
Watch the tftp updater window, and look for the 'System update completed' message.
Stop the tftp updater.
Power cycle the camera.
After a couple of minutes, SADP should show the status as 'Inactive'.
In that state, if you connect the camera cable back into the NVR, it should 'Activate' it and connect.
Good luck!