Can't understand why CPU usage is so high

cbunting

n3wb
Reaction score
I've tried just about everything, I cannot get my system to run smoothly since upgrading to BI5's later builds (say a month or two ago).... The only thing I have found to get my CPU manageable is to check "limit decoding unless required" on every camera... otherwise my CPU spikes to 100% and is unusable....

upload_2019-9-17_16-57-10.png

As you can see I have everything at 4fps or lower... the system previously ran just fine, I added 2 new cameras, but I can't see that causing an issue either?

Short of buying a more powerful workstation, am I doing something wrong here?

I'd like to turn off the "limit decoding" option as I understand it only records key frames.

Specs are below...

upload_2019-9-17_16-59-41.png

If I do upgrade, should I go with a poweredge server or stay with the dell precision? I understand graphics does not matter, so maybe a server is a better choice?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I've tried just about everything, I cannot get my system to run smoothly since upgrading to BI5's later builds (say a month or two ago).... The only thing I have found to get my CPU manageable is to check "limit decoding unless required" on every camera... otherwise my CPU spikes to 100% and is unusable....

View attachment 47469

As you can see I have everything at 4fps or lower... the system previously ran just fine, I added 2 new cameras, but I can't see that causing an issue either?

Short of buying a more powerful workstation, am I doing something wrong here?

I'd like to turn off the "limit decoding" option as I understand it only records key frames.

Specs are below...

View attachment 47471

If I do upgrade, should I go with a poweredge server or stay with the dell precision? I understand graphics does not matter, so maybe a server is a better choice?
You have a relatively weak processor, lots of cameras but low fps, in theory it would not be maxing out. See the wiki on optimizing BI and hardware for BI. Graphics does mater. You are also misunderstanding limit decoding, also explained in the wiki on optimization. Are you remoting into a headless system or using a local monitor?

Last edited:

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you have quick sync intel checked. It switched back for me even though it had #.

Hardware accelerated decode: Intel under video

if it is default on all cams make sure:
blue iris settings -> cameras -> hardware accelerated decode is intel

And also make sure you have direct-to-disc - it sometimes disables when switching to bi5:
Camera properties -> record -> video file format and compression... -> video compression -> direct-to-disc

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quick sync will not work on most Xeon processor. All hardware acceleration should be turn off

cbunting

n3wb
Reaction score
You have a relatively weak processor, lots of cameras but low fps, in theory it would not be maxing out. See the wiki on optimizing BI and hardware for BI. Graphics does mater. You are also misunderstanding limit decoding, also explained in the wiki on optimization. Are you remoting into a headless system or using a local monitor?
I think I will replace the server, but I also saw that the x series I9 I was looking at doesn't support quicksync... or a lot of the xeons as stated below.. what's my best bet? a 9th gen I9?

No monitor or anything, we use RDP to adjust server settings but otherwise just users using the mobile app occasionally.

cbunting

n3wb
Reaction score
Make sure you have quick sync intel checked. It switched back for me even though it had #.

Hardware accelerated decode: Intel under video

if it is default on all cams make sure:
blue iris settings -> cameras -> hardware accelerated decode is intel

And also make sure you have direct-to-disc - it sometimes disables when switching to bi5:
Camera properties -> record -> video file format and compression... -> video compression -> direct-to-disc
Yes the direct to disk thing did get me, but unfortunatly didn't help the CPU... the hardware decode didn't either but now I see above my cpu isn't compat

Reaction score
I don’t think you need an i9, a modern i5 or 5th/6th gen i7 will work better than that 4-core xeon. I would recommend checking out Blue Iris Update Helper for a cpu you are thinking of buying to replace the xeon.

You must have been looking at the most recent cpu’s where intel is targeting the gaming market with disabled graphics cpus that have “F” skus. See this article for i5, i7 & i9’s to avoid: Intel releases new 9th Gen processors without integrated graphics | PC Gamer avoid anything that doesn’t have integrated graphics or you’ll be back in the same boat as with your xeon, burning cpu cycles instead of offloading some video processing to the dedicated graphics processor on the chip.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone figured how to create dual graphic cards with hp g4 800? I cannot seem to find a way to enable and have quick sync work while nvidia graphic card runs monitors or have nvidia cuda process. It normally shuts it all off.

Aspiring Geek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
looking for help folks please, and believe this thread is relevant - one of many i have searched - apologies if not.
Running 4 Hikvision cameras (2-4MP) on Blue Iris 5 server which is an Intel i5-5250U NUC with 8GB RAM. No peripherals at all attached, accessible via Teamviewer only. I believed based on other postings that this would be sufficient grunt for a relatively small system, but this has proved erroneous - CPU consistently at 100%, and while it does not appear to affect operation - movement sensing triggers email alerts on all four cameras OK - the ability to log into the NUC and/or tweak BI settings is so slow as to be useless. Hardware acceleration set to Intel in BI5 settings. Any suggestions welcome -before I shortly head for an i7 4790 reconditioned system as per the "Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris" post on this site?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
looking for help folks please, and believe this thread is relevant - one of many i have searched - apologies if not.
Running 4 Hikvision cameras (2-4MP) on Blue Iris 5 server which is an Intel i5-5250U NUC with 8GB RAM. No peripherals at all attached, accessible via Teamviewer only. I believed based on other postings that this would be sufficient grunt for a relatively small system, but this has proved erroneous - CPU consistently at 100%, and while it does not appear to affect operation - movement sensing triggers email alerts on all four cameras OK - the ability to log into the NUC and/or tweak BI settings is so slow as to be useless. Hardware acceleration set to Intel in BI5 settings. Any suggestions welcome -before I shortly head for an i7 4790 reconditioned system as per the "Choosing Hardware for Blue Iris" post on this site?
You are using a very weak processor and teamviewer adds huge amounts of cpu consumption. Use a local monitor.

cbunting

n3wb
Reaction score
I don’t think you need an i9, a modern i5 or 5th/6th gen i7 will work better than that 4-core xeon. I would recommend checking out Blue Iris Update Helper for a cpu you are thinking of buying to replace the xeon.

You must have been looking at the most recent cpu’s where intel is targeting the gaming market with disabled graphics cpus that have “F” skus. See this article for i5, i7 & i9’s to avoid: Intel releases new 9th Gen processors without integrated graphics | PC Gamer avoid anything that doesn’t have integrated graphics or you’ll be back in the same boat as with your xeon, burning cpu cycles instead of offloading some video processing to the dedicated graphics processor on the chip.
I really appreciate all the advice! I'm moving the installation over to a spare machine I had laying around until I get a new one in... this one has an 8th gen i7...so I'll give it a shot and report back shortly!

upload_2019-9-18_14-14-11.png

cbunting

n3wb
Reaction score
It seems my xeon CPU was the issue... I am running at about 25-30% cpu now with quicksync enabled, limit decoding DISABLED and the console closed. If I open the console and leave it at the default fps preview rate, it tanks the CPU very quickly... but no one will access the local console, so this should not be an issue. I lowered the preview rate to 1% though just in case.

I'll order a new workstation for this system, right now I have the 10TB skyhawk HD running on an external enclosure, it's amazing how loud that freakin thing is... I never heard it in the noisy server room next to all the other servers screaming away.... it clinks and clunks and almost sounds like a failing hard drive if I didn't know any better...

Thanks again everyone for your help!

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you also have:
blue iris setting -> Other -> on bottom "advanced" -> scaling: set to Fast?

While live preview jagged a bit there is better CPU usage!

Aspiring Geek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You are using a very weak processor and teamviewer adds huge amounts of cpu consumption. Use a local monitor.
fenderman, thank you. If I want to continue to use Teamviewer to manage the server (it is remote to my location), what cpu should I be using please?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman, thank you. If I want to continue to use Teamviewer to manage the server (it is remote to my location), what cpu should I be using please?
you should consider running a second copy of BI using the remote function to control the server or using windows remote desktop and limit the frame refresh rates.

whoami ™

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I try and avoid 3rd party RDP's like TeamViewer... Run a OpenVPN, SoftEther, or Wire Guard VPN server on your LAN and use Windows Remote Desktop over LAN connected remotely using the VPN.

But I clicked on this thread because Im having a issue today with CPU hitting 100%. Never happened to me before today. Wonder if it had something to do with a Windows update. Know I had one of those yesterday. Running i5 6500 with BlueIris optimized as described in the wiki. Going to try updating to 5.0.4.1 to see if that helps.

Aspiring Geek

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
you should consider running a second copy of BI using the remote function to control the server or using windows remote desktop and limit the frame refresh rates.
fenderman, thanks once again for your help - and also to whoami for the VPN tip. Unfortunately I think i am stuffed on both accounts. I find that I have Windows 10 Home on the BI server (why, you might well ask - a function no doubt of now being more attuned to system needs than when that was acquired) for which Windows Remote Desktop (WRD) is not installed - and upgrading to Windows Pro to get that costs AUD170! I am disinclined to upgrade to Windows Pro on an under-powered server in the hope I might have better functionality using WRD, either via Teamviewer or a VPN. I think I will head for the secondhand market....

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
fenderman, thanks once again for your help - and also to whoami for the VPN tip. Unfortunately I think i am stuffed on both accounts. I find that I have Windows 10 Home on the BI server (why, you might well ask - a function no doubt of now being more attuned to system needs than when that was acquired) for which Windows Remote Desktop (WRD) is not installed - and upgrading to Windows Pro to get that costs AUD170! I am disinclined to upgrade to Windows Pro on an under-powered server in the hope I might have better functionality using WRD, either via Teamviewer or a VPN. I think I will head for the secondhand market....
a second BI license will cost you 35 dollars from the developer