Cantonk shootout

kantzow

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok guys I ordered 4 of the latest mid-range Cantonk IP cameras.

I wanted to check quality, inside and outside. Possible point of failures and of course image quality.

These were the ones ordered and that I now have in my possession,

KIP-200SL20H (IMX323, HI3516C)
KIP-400SL20H (OV4689, Hi3516D)
KIP-200CD20H (IMX323, HI3516C)
KIP-400CD20H (OV4689, Hi3516D)

Now should I just do a write up or make a unboxing and testing video? The SL20 are dome cameras, the CD20 are bullet. The sensors are pretty much the same, only the form factor is different.

It should be noted that I just had a Cantonk failure in one of my installations, only one went down but I need to dig deeper into the cause. It powers on but I cannot connect to it.

Last edited:

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Writeup. Sample pics and video with motion as the cams were delivered then tweak them. Not sure on the OV cams but the DWDR on the IMX323 is quite effective when the lighting needs it. Makes dark sections out of the IR spot grainy at night unless turned down a bit though. I haven't played with a cam that I knew the OV4689 sensor was in so I'm not sure what it's like.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
cantonk is the same garbage as longse, stay away from these unreliable brands.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score

^^^^ THAT ^^^^

I spoke to both Longse and Cantok at ISCWest in Vegas this year - Both seemed clueless. They couldn't answer basic questions or explain some of the products they had on display and this was NOT due to a language barrier - Cantok actually had US based reps manning their sizable booth who said they were located in California. I walked away feeling like I understood there products better than their own reps. If you are good with unsupported foreign hardware than roll the dice, but don't get upset when it fails and you are left with no support or warranty access.

I don't want to be totally negative though. So in regards to what you asked.

Screw unboxing videos - we're adults and this isn't some new tech gadget.
Standard pics of the camera laying on a desk next to something to show scale are fine.
Still image captures of both daytime and nighttime using factory settings.
Daytime and night time Video with no adjustments.

Feel free to fine tune and update all the above a second time after fine tune adjustments are made.

I'm a huge supporter of VISUAL examples here. To often people say "I have this" or "Do this, it works for me" etc but never show their examples. If more people would show examples like a few select users do here the entire community would be better informed. So I appreciate what you are going to do, I just wish it was with a more reputable brand, as even if you post amazing images - I still wouldn't buy from a sketchy company.

Last edited:

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While I have long suspected that Cantonk and Longse are the same cameras wrapped in different brand names I do not agree that Longse cameras are garbage. I will most certainly avoid one of those nasty pissing matches about this statement but -- without a doubt -- my LRDC60S500 and LDW90S500 cameras provide acceptable day images and excellent night images.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
While I have long suspected that Cantonk and Longse are the same cameras wrapped in different brand names I do not agree that Longse cameras are garbage. I will most certainly avoid one of those nasty pissing matches about this statement but -- without a doubt -- my LRDC60S500 and LDW90S500 cameras provide acceptable day images and excellent night images.
The sample I got had poe failure after a few months...there have been other posts about poe failure when some heat is introduced (huisun does not have a monopoly on garbage poe)...
freezing and lockups occur as well, Longse factory reset
while they have good night images, the dahua motorized varifocal is about 20 dollars more and a much better camera (varifocal, sd card, mic) and much more reliable. There is no reason to buy the garbage longse. Not to mention that the blatantly rippof intellectual properly from hikvision and milestone.

Last edited:

Bazooka302

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
While some have had problems with the Longse/Cantonk cameras (myself included), labeling them "junk" is a bit harsh. Most of the problems boil down to faulty POE. Of the 6 KIP-500DR20H cameras I have, 2 had problems going off line randomly when in night vision mode. I bought some inexpensive POE splitters Amazon.com: USG PoE Splitter To Power Non-PoE Cameras: "Splits" Incoming PoE Signal To 12V DC Power + RJ45 Ethernet Video, 10/100Mbps, 15.4W Per Port, IEEE 802.3af, True Plug-&-Play, Auto Detect, Designed For HD IP Video Surveillance Systems: Computers & Accessories and have not had an issue with the cameras since, rock solid. In fact, the last one I ordered ($76), I bought without POE and saved the extra $6 and used the splitter from the start. Using the latest firmware (previously posted in this forum), I'm very happy with the performance and stability, even without considering the cost. I would love to have all 8 of my cameras be the Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-Z but they were not on the market 6 months ago when I replaced all my 3 year old Hikvions (which I did because many of them were having reliability problems. lol!), and even now availability seems limited. In another 2-3 years I'll probably upgrade again to cameras with newer/better performance, can't wait to see what they come up with!

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The sample I got had poe failure after a few months...there have been other posts about poe failure when some heat is introduced (huisun does not have a monopoly on garbage poe)...
freezing and lockups occur as well, Longse factory reset
while they have good night images, the dahua motorized varifocal is about 20 dollars more and a much better camera (varifocal, sd card, mic) and much more reliable. There is no reason to buy the garbage longse. Not to mention that the blatantly rippof intellectual properly from hikvision and milestone.
My opinion is not formed by what others report. Rather, my opinion is predicated on my personal experience and I have not experienced any of the issues which @fenderman has reported with either my LRDC60S500, LDW90S500, LBH24S200, or my LRDC60XA200 cameras. I believe that the LDW90S500 produces slightly better images than the LRDC60S500, with the caveat that the LDW90S500 a rather large unit and attracts more spiders than the LRDG60S500.

I understand that @fenderman's experience -- and his opinion -- is different...and I respect that. But both the LRDC60S500 and the LDW90S500 cameras have been rock solid for me and, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I am more than satisfied with the images which each camera produces. My BeSafe BS-BH24S200-POE (Longse LBH24S200 Rebrand) is a nice little camera, especially considering the $47.00 it cost (with shipping)...but I would not buy another. In the end it is my personal belief that what I like about the LRDC60S500 or LDW90S500 cameras is the Sony IMX178 sensor and the HI3516A DSP combination...and it is that is which, IMO, makes these cameras special. I'm not too thrilled with the image produced by my LRDC60XA200 vari-focal however; I would not purchase another LRDC60XA200.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Whilst only a sample of 2 - these are in constant use and I'm very happy with their image quality and their stability.
I have had 2 Longse/Cantonk cameras, an IMX178 fixed and an IMX322 varifocal, running over PoE for many months now without any problems, no freezes or reboots or glitches.
They were used to replace a Hikvision turret and bullet for both better night image quality, and the bullet IR failing, I've been very happy with the choice.
They work OK with a Hikvision NVR, supporting motion detection and continuous recording.
It would be good to have some smart analytics, and the firmware isn't as refined or developed as Hikvision, but at least I don't have to deal with the language mismatch nonsense and all the other traps created to get in the way of their customers.

Larebear

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
My BeSafe BS-BH24S200-POE (Longse LBH24S200 Rebrand) is a nice little camera, especially considering the $47.00 it cost (with shipping).
I've ordered four of the BeSafe cameras and all have been great. I've sold all 4 and haven't received any complaints from my friends/clients. All of them have been setup using Blue Iris. As you mentioned, not a bad price for a decent camera. Will probably be ordering more, although I don't need anymore at my place. :)