Cheap POE for outside- n under $100 :)

nighwalker

n3wb
Reaction score
I just bought a nice NAS / Synology so of course now I need to fill up all 10TB with security cam footage! Seriously, I currently messing about with a horrid $30 Foscam hanging out of my 2nd story window (I got it years ago) and am looking to get something a little better (>640x480 resolution). Of course I've read that HIKvision is the way to go.

Looking to get something that will be weather proof, POE, and is OK at night, just need a range of about 30ft to the road- we have no street lamps so I'm probably hosed at that price point already. Not sure if I need a dome or bullet or something that can track automatically, that'd be cool to scare my neighbors!

I see the aliexpress deals but would prefer a warrantee but perhaps not for under $100. I'm a realist and if I'm going to be using this to protect my property I am probably going to have to spend more right? I've already missed some good action in front of my house (pitbull attack and other stuff) so what do you peeps suggest.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you have low-light at night, take a look at Dahua's Starlight series. They have a newish big Sony sensor in them that does amazing in low-light situations. Hik has announced a camera that uses the same sensor, but it's not shipping yet. Also note that with this sensor, the image quality during the day is almost as good as many 3MP/4MP cameras, even though cameras with this Sony sensor are 2MP.

The most popular is the 5231 turret. Huge, huge review thread on it that contains some good uploads of pictures and video from owners.

That camera is $170, but it's a varifocal, which means you can zoom it (via the web interface) to the perfect setting for you. Or if you want to save $40, there are fixed focus models. But if you order wrong there, you're stuck with the field of vision it gives you. Both are over your budget, but I haven't seen anyone recommend a camera that does better all-around than this one.

Dahua doesn't make firmware upgrades hard like Hikvision does. Order an inexpensive Hik from about anywhere and chances are it's a Chinese model with a firmware custom made with English in it, and you'll brick the camera if you ever try to upgrade the firmware yourself.

Just a heads up that the Synology won't record when the tripwire/intrusion detection options go off (if you use those features). It only records on motion detection (or can record full-time). That's true for both Hik and Dahua cameras. You need a NVR from the camera manufacturer to do that.

nighwalker

n3wb
Reaction score
Interesting - people seem to love it but no real warrantee and it's directly drop shipped from China. I've done this before, ordered some small items directly off Aliexpress, but not a $170 item. So I'd have to pay a lot more to get the same image quality for say a HIKvision from B&H?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting - people seem to love it but no real warrantee and it's directly drop shipped from China. I've done this before, ordered some small items directly off Aliexpress, but not a $170 item. So I'd have to pay a lot more to get the same image quality for say a HIKvision from B&H?
310 for US region starlight dahua...and they dont have the turret version, only the dome and the bullet...

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Nightwalker,

@aristobrat gave a very good recommendation.

One thing I would like to add, the camera in question can also accept local storage with a mini-SD card.

Thus, you can just buy one camera for now and skip the features which a NVR would provide as well as the cost of buying one.
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

There are cheaper POE cameras - but only this Dahua starlight series seems to give the best value for night time views.

Do checkout @thomaswde 's comparison picture here of his cell phone camera vs the HDW5231R-Z:
Great example of Dahua Starlight 2MP Verifocal Performance in low light

Looking at reviews on warranty and support from many security camera system vendors in the US - I've found many of those which I can afford to be disappointing with many negative reviews.

Clearly security cameras are a challenge for to setup, install, and maintain. IPCAMTALK members have been very helpful sharing information here, and thus I am going with cameras which they also have purchased and recommended, planning to utilize the knowledge they have been sharing to setup and configure the system I am purchasing.

Have fun with this.

thomaswde

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just bought a nice NAS / Synology so of course now I need to fill up all 10TB with security cam footage! Seriously, I currently messing about with a horrid $30 Foscam hanging out of my 2nd story window (I got it years ago) and am looking to get something a little better (>640x480 resolution). Of course I've read that HIKvision is the way to go.

Looking to get something that will be weather proof, POE, and is OK at night, just need a range of about 30ft to the road- we have no street lamps so I'm probably hosed at that price point already. Not sure if I need a dome or bullet or something that can track automatically, that'd be cool to scare my neighbors!

I see the aliexpress deals but would prefer a warrantee but perhaps not for under $100. I'm a realist and if I'm going to be using this to protect my property I am probably going to have to spend more right? I've already missed some good action in front of my house (pitbull attack and other stuff) so what do you peeps suggest.
I'm brand new to the cam game but my background is tech and I'm learning fast. Can't recommend the Dahua Starlight enough, it has fully lived up to the hype for me. The extremely low light and IR only performance is ridiculous. If you are pinching every penny they do offer a non-verifocal model of the exact same cam for about $130.
I would recommend getting the Dahua Starlight 2MP verifocal Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z) everyone here is suggesting first, this gives you a great chance to learn what to expect from a 3.6mm or 6mm focus. (wide angle or medium). @nayr has a great review of the Varifocal (link to it on his profile page) where he has the most recent NTSC firmware, that "unlocked" a few features mine was missing out of the box.

Trust me, order a 5231R-Z, you'll love it. Do check out the comparison photo I posted that @mat200 shared, it's pretty nuts.

Good luck!