Cheapest Computer for Blue Iris

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you.

So, mainly I'm assuming it's more reliable for recording 24/7 since there aren't any moving parts. But I've read some people say to use one hard drive for motion and one for 24/7 recording. Why is that? I can't just use the SSD for everything camera related?

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Put the operating system on an SSD and record video to a large conventional hard drive.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Put the operating system on an SSD and record video to a large conventional hard drive.
Alright, but what's the reason behind that? I'm trying to learn. Hopefully other people will read this and learn from it too.

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you really wanted to learn you'd be using the search utility on this website and Google search. You want to be told, not learn.

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
the clips database is not the motion recordings,,its a database not video recordings..see help file.
Alright. This is all overwhelming. I'll be glad when it's all set up correctly. I'm definitely looking forward to getting off of the NVR because that has been a huge annoyance.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
To end this, the life of an SSD is governed by write operations. Reads don't effect it nearly as much, if at all. Recording video, 24/7, means constantly writing to the drive. That will shorten the life of an SSD. There are hard drives, Western Digital "Purple" for example, that are specifically built to handle the constant write operations that video surveillance recording requires.

DebrodeD

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't see any advantage of a traditional hard drive other than price and storage. Why not put everything on an SSD?
Price and storage, you hit the nail on the head. If you're recording 24/7, depending on how long you plan on keeping the recordings, you'll fill up quite a bit of space. A 1 TB SSD is over $200, while a 4 TB traditional hard drive is less than $100. Personally, I do use a SSD for everything, but I also only record on motion and only keep the recordings for a few weeks (unless I flag them for long-term storage, in which case they get moved to my dropbox folder).

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
To end this, the life of an SSD is governed by write operations. Reads don't effect it nearly as much, if at all. Recording video, 24/7, means constantly writing to the drive. That will shorten the life of an SSD. There are hard drives, Western Digital "Purple" for example, that are specifically built to handle the constant write operations that video surveillance recording requires.
Thank you!

So, I'll use something like EaseUS Partition Master to transfer everything from the original hard drive to the SSD, and then replace the original hard drive with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071KVB4F8/

Is that correct?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Tinman

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you!

So, I'll use something like EaseUS Partition Master to transfer everything from the original hard drive to the SSD, and then replace the original hard drive with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B071KVB4F8/

Is that correct?
Yes, and here is what I like to use for OS drive.....you may need more space but this will do for a BI dedicated machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530119835&sr=1-5&keywords=ssd+samsung

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, and here is what I like to use for OS drive.....you may need more space but this will do for a BI dedicated machine.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-75E250B-AM/dp/B00OAJ412U/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1530119835&sr=1-5&keywords=ssd+samsung
Thanks. Amazon recommended a newer model for a lower price too!

Samsung actually offers their own data migration software. That'll save some money over the third party software. SSD Tools & Software | Download | Samsung V-NAND SSD

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
There's a ton of migration software available for free. Just do a search on "disk cloning software". Google/Bing/whatever is your best friend.