Cheapest Computer for Blue Iris

scquestions

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yes, 1803 will be already included. I just did this with Home and Pro this week.
Great! I'm formatting a flash drive now and will get it setup.

MOD220

n3wb
Reaction score
trying to find a PC now as well, installer coming next week! I cannot seem to find any used Dell PC's with i7 and better than the 4700...would that work for 8 4MP cameras (probably recording non-stop) and a Doorbird?

Also, how critical is it to get the SSD versus upgrading on my own? I'm sure eliminating this requirement would garner more options, and if I am going to add a Purple drive anyway, how much harder to add another hard drive for OS?

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
An i5-6500 or 6600 would probably be just fine.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
My i5 6500 runs 9 cameras continuously direct to disc at about 30% CPU capacity. Cams are mostly 2 MP or a bit higher.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mod220

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read, study, plan before spending money.

If you want night picture quality. You most likely not get it with a 4k. Use a 2mp starlight.

Need a lot more Info on the cameras, frame rate , iframe, max bit rate,. In general mp/ sec. Are you using motion detection.

MOD220

n3wb
Reaction score
Mod220

Please read the cliff notes and other items in the wiki. The wiki is in the blue bar at the top of the page.

Read, study, plan before spending money.

If you want night picture quality. You most likely not get it with a 4k. Use a 2mp starlight.

Need a lot more Info on the cameras, frame rate , iframe, max bit rate,. In general mp/ sec. Are you using motion detection.
Thanks
I have read every detail of the page, but none of the recommended processors are available based on current refurbished inventories. I am running 8 4MP Reolink cameras, one Doorbird. Not sure of speeds or duration of recordings, so let’s assume the highest levels so my PC can handle any scenario with these nine devices.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Calculate your MP/Second.

Looking for a good used computer takes time. Just keep looking. Also this is not a good time of the year for companies to be upgrading there computers.

Then look at this web site.
Blue Iris Update Helper

middle of the road guess case: 9 4K cameras at 15 fps
2840x2160x15*9 / (1024*1024) = 1067 MP/Sec

Last edited:

MOD220

n3wb
Reaction score
I ended up buying a Dell Optiplex 9010 refurb off Amazon.
i7-3470 3.4GHZ -
Is this powerful enough? Could not find any of the larger processors anywhere
8GB RAM
240 GB SSD
Windows Pro

Also purchased a 4TB purple drive, and this to house it: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNMOBSA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not sure if that's the right part?

I'm having a hard time figuring all the pieces out, and my installer is coming this week so had to try and get all the parts?

I followed the Blue Iris Update Link, when I filter by "3470" processor, only i5-3470 with 3.2GHZ shows up, but mine is labeled as i7-3470 at 3.4GHZ. In doing some research, doesn't appear there is a i7-3470, rather a i7-3770, so I hope its a typo and I truly have the i7-3770 and not an i5-3470! I guess I should boot up and see...

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I followed the Blue Iris Update Link, when I filter by "3470" processor, only i5-3470 with 3.2GHZ shows up, but mine is labeled as i7-3470 at 3.4GHZ. In doing some research, doesn't appear there is a i7-3470, rather a i7-3770, so I hope its a typo and I truly have the i7-3770 and not an i5-3470! I guess I should boot up and see...
At some point I'll be trying Blue Iris on a i7-3770. Found a used CPU for cheap to upgrade from i5-2400S. The computer already has 8GB RAM, SSD, a decent Radeon HD 7700 series graphics card, 600W PSU, nice Antec quiet case mid tower, etc. So a few bucks to try the i7 vs. a different computer is worth the risk to me. If it chokes on BI then I still have a computer way better than I need for most of what I do with a computer anyway; surfing the web and posting on forums. LOL.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
At some point I'll be trying Blue Iris on a i7-3770. Found a used CPU for cheap to upgrade from i5-2400S. The computer already has 8GB RAM, SSD, a decent Radeon HD 7700 series graphics card, 600W PSU, nice Antec quiet case mid tower, etc. So a few bucks to try the i7 vs. a different computer is worth the risk to me. If it chokes on BI then I still have a computer way better than I need for most of what I do with a computer anyway; surfing the web and posting on forums. LOL.
you dont want the radeon graphics, will actually make performance worse.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
That's interesting. Is that because it doesn't do the Quick Sync or whatever it's called built into those CPUs?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That's interesting. Is that because it doesn't do the Quick Sync or whatever it's called built into those CPUs?
Yes blue iris can only do hardware acceleration using quick sync or some Nvidia. Nvidia is an inefficient option.

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
Just keep in mind that the "cheapest" might turn out to be more expensive. Video cameras are one of the "drugs" of the tech world, very addicting. While a "cheap" one might work now, what about in six months or a year and another half dozen cameras? I guess you could call it an "inexpensive bridge" at that point.

In terms of hardware acceleration, Intel Quick Sync is the best way to go. Nvidia, Cuda, works well but with a high power cost. A typical Cuda capable card, GTX 10X0 series or higher, uses about 100 watts, or more, all by itself. An RTX uses at least 150 watts. Both more than double what an Intel PC, complete, with Quick Sync consumes.