Computer Geek, But Surveillance Noob. Please Help!

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If there where, you would see us talking about them.
Here is a newer version, thats just a tick better.
Dahua Starlight IPC-HDW5231R-ZE 800 meter capable ePOE

If you care about ID'ing someone after dark, forget the higher megapixels, unless you want to install lots of light.
So how can you be sure you're choosing a Starlight model? The Dahua webpage for the above model doesn't use the word Starlight. At least I don't see it.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you tangent. I obviously didn't look at the icons. I do wish Dahua would be a little more consistent in their descriptions however. Some of the starlight models state so in the name or the written description. Is there a comparable technology or image sensor in any other brands of cameras, or would you just recommend sticking with Dahua? Also, I don't believe I've asked this yet. Is it easier to purchase valid USA Dahua products, or is there the same crummy China/Western Region/USA nonsense that I've read about with Hikvision?

marku2

Known around here
Reaction score
:wow:
SNC-VB770 Sony built this for ocd people who want excellent vision at night I don’t think super man can see as good as this thing
But for the rest of us a starlight will do

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Real funny! $5000 - $6000 for one camera? Fortunately, I'm not that OCD. Seriously though, is Starlight from Dahua the only reasonable night vision camera around? I will likely buy Dahua, but just want to know the reasonable options. Also, no one has really addressed where to buy Dahua. Is the "China market" ok for Dahua, when not ok for Hikvision? I'm really a little confused on what "region" camera and where is smart to buy for the US. I normally update hardware to latest firmware pretty regularly. I don't want to brick my cameras. Thanks.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I appologize for the long absence. I intended to work on this surveillance project months ago. But life got in the way. :)

I thank everyone for the great advice so far. Since it has been several months, I thought I would make sure that things haven't changed.

1. Do you still recommend the 2 MP Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE as one of the best low light cameras? I saw that there are some new 5 MP starlight models such as the N52BF3Z. Do you like that new model better?
2. Domes aren't so good for outside use because of glare issues, correct? Why do people like the turrets better than the bullets? Is it just because the turrets are a little less conspicuous looking?
3. My roof soffits are all angled. None are level. Can I mount a turret or bullet style camera to the angled soffit and then rotate the camera about the camera axis to level the picture? I've never held these cameras in person and don't really know how their movement works. Do they have a fixed 2 way axis or is it more like a ball in socket joint that can be twisted?
4. From pictures it looks like the turret and bullet models have a notch in the mounting plate for a cord to exit. My wire connections will go through a drilled hole in the soffit, not out the side of the mounting plate. How do people close that notch for water protection, a big dab of silicon? Is is a good idea to caulk all around the mounting plates once screwed into position?

Thanks again!

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I appologize for the long absence. I intended to work on this surveillance project months ago. But life got in the way. :)

I thank everyone for the great advice so far. Since it has been several months, I thought I would make sure that things haven't changed.

1. Do you still recommend the 2 MP Dahua IPC-HDW5231R-ZE as one of the best low light cameras? I saw that there are some new 5 MP starlight models such as the N52BF3Z. Do you like that new model better?
2. Domes aren't so good for outside use because of glare issues, correct? Why do people like the turrets better than the bullets? Is it just because the turrets are a little less conspicuous looking?
3. My roof soffits are all angled. None are level. Can I mount a turret or bullet style camera to the angled soffit and then rotate the camera about the camera axis to level the picture? I've never held these cameras in person and don't really know how their movement works. Do they have a fixed 2 way axis or is it more like a ball in socket joint that can be twisted?
4. From pictures it looks like the turret and bullet models have a notch in the mounting plate for a cord to exit. My wire connections will go through a drilled hole in the soffit, not out the side of the mounting plate. How do people close that notch for water protection, a big dab of silicon? Is is a good idea to caulk all around the mounting plates once screwed into position?

Thanks again!
HI Xray,

Not much has changed with regards to recommendations, and thus the cliff notes in the wiki are still very good and current.

Recommend picking up a IPC-HDW5231R-ZE and testing it out in the positions you are considering - that will give you the best answers to the questions you have about placement.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 to @mat200 's suggestion.

Also, consider the PFA130E mount to hide that bulky RJ-45 Ethernet/POE and DC power pigtail, and keep it out of the sunlight and rain and allows you to drill a 3/8" hole for CAT-5e or 6 cable. You terminate the cable with the male RJ-45 and plug into the cam's pigtail and hide it inside the PFA130 mount. Otherwise, you'll find yourself drilling a hole at least twice as big to push that pigtail through. Some pigtails require a 1" hole!

PFA-130E at empiretech ==>> here.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Any answers to questions 3 and 4?

Also, I think I could use some NVR/Software advice. I have already read through the entire Cliff notes (which are excellent). My original plan was to use my high end Netgear ReadyNAS for video storage. It is already connected to a quality POE switch. It comes with the Milestone Arcus software that I believe is very good. I've never used it, or any video surveillance software however. The drawback is that you have to buy Netgear licenses for each camera that you install. I do hate that idea, but would pay the money if the Milestone Arcus software system is worth it. I know lots of people have experience with Blue Iris and with SmartPSS that I believe comes with Dahua NVRs. I'm really interested in opinions from folks who may have tried more than one system during their surveillance career.

Do you prefer:
1. Milestone Arcus on a NAS despite licensing costs?
2. Blue Iris on a computer? (I have an old home built Windows Home Server Machine that could probably run Blue Iris.)
3. A Dahua (or other brand NVR) with the included SmartPSS software?

I really appreciate any advice. I know I'll form my own opinions with time, but currently have zero experience with security camera monitoring.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do you prefer:
1. Milestone Arcus on a NAS despite licensing costs?
2. Blue Iris on a computer? (I have an old home built Windows Home Server Machine that could probably run Blue Iris.)
3. A Dahua (or other brand NVR) with the included SmartPSS software?
I prefer BI on a PC. For best performance (and your satisfaction), insure it meets hardware specs in the Wiki, here.

Pay special attention to the 'CPU' section.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I actually just read that entire hardware wiki before your post. I didn't find the wiki initially. I've learned that my home built WHS machine won't cut the mustard since it has a Core i5-750 processor from 2010.

I also stumbled upon an older thread about the virtures of Blue Iris vs. NVR. I think I'm sold on the BI on PC solution in that battle, even though I now need another PC and have to purchase BI. Does anyone have an opinion about the Milestone Arcus software on the NAS that I already own? I wouldn't need a new computer, but would still incur the camera licensing costs. I think these costs will be less than a new PC/BI solution, but not by very much. I found 5 camera licenses for about $210. Thanks again.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I actually just read that entire hardware wiki before your post. I didn't find the wiki initially. I've learned that my home built WHS machine won't cut the mustard since it has a Core i5-750 processor from 2010.

I also stumbled upon an older thread about the virtures of Blue Iris vs. NVR. I think I'm sold on the BI on PC solution in that battle, even though I now need another PC and have to purchase BI. Does anyone have an opinion about the Milestone Arcus software on the NAS that I already own? I wouldn't need a new computer, but would still incur the camera licensing costs. I think these costs will be less than a new PC/BI solution, but not by very much. I found 5 camera licenses for about $210. Thanks again.
Hi @XrayDoc88

Most of the members here are not very fond of using a NAS instead of Blue Iris VMS or a NVR.

The potential expenditures in licenses imho would be better put into getting a decent PC to run Blue Iris - there are some good deals for used i5/i7 PCs if you're willing to take some time to locate one from ebay or craigslist.

Sometimes you can find some decent refurbished deals from Dell - but expect those to cost more.