Confused about all of these cameras. Which should I buy?

Gizmo

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm getting confused about all of these model numbers. They all seem to be very close.

I'm looking at 4 new cameras. 2 on my porch near the front door which is pretty lit up and 2 on my garage. Right now I have 4MP Swann turrets which are pretty good but they don't work with BI so I'm getting new ones. I have narrowed it down to:

DS-2CD2142FWD-IS 4MP 2.8mm for $129CAD
or a
DS-2CD2335FWD-I 3 MP 2.8mm for $140CAD
or a
DS-2CD2325FWD-I 2MP 2.8mm for $210CAD

Why is the 2MP more expensive than a 3MP or a 4MP? Which should I choose? The 4MP is a dome, the others are turret. Should I get a dome for the porch so it's harder to mess with and to save some money and put turrets on the garage which would be higher up?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
DS-2CD2325FWD-I 2MP 2.8mm for $210CAD

Why is the 2MP more expensive than a 3MP or a 4MP? Which should I choose? The 4MP is a dome, the others are turret. Should I get a dome for the porch so it's harder to mess with and to save some money and put turrets on the garage which would be higher up?
Hi Gizmo,

You want to take a closer look at the 2MP turret...
DS-2CD2325FWD-I 2MP Ultra-Low Light Network Turret Camera

Also, to better understand why a 2MP maybe a better option in some cases check out the below notes and look at the Dahua Starlight camera discussions.

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

Philip Gonzales

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
From what I hear domes are not very good for outside. Usually for outside cameras you want a good camera for low light situations. Domes suffer from IR glare and can get condensation and other junk on the dome. Turrets are where it is at.

Higher megapixels with the same sensor size result in worse low light performance. It's kind of like do you want more detail or more low light performance.

This is the one I got.

AliExpress Mobile - Global Online Shopping for Apparel, Phones, Computers, Electronics, Fashion and more

I like it because the focal length is variable. Since I'm new to cameras I don't know the best focal lengths I need yet so this works good for me. The linked camera is a Dahua starlight varifocal turret that is very popular on this site. Great bang for your buck.

Gizmo

n3wb
Reaction score
Is newegg a legit supplier? I was wondering if these would be a chinese knockoff that I keep reading about?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is newegg a legit supplier? I was wondering if these would be a chinese knockoff that I keep reading about?
Hi Gizmo,

That isn't sold by Newegg. Newegg is taking a page from Amazon's play book and allowing others to use Newegg to sell their products.

Better off going directly with Andy @EMPIRETECANDY

username

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I installed several 2CD2142FWD outside, under the eave. Some of them are difficult to reach. My experience is as others have said, IR glare. Plus I need to dust the cover every few months on several of the camera. If you ever want to access the inside components, like to adjust the lens position or hit the reset button, you have a nearly impossible task of unscrewing 3 screws, hoping the cover retaining strap doesn't break, and being outside, good luck if you drop the screw (they are supposed be have a retainer but some of my cameras did not). I don't have a problem with condensation due to the dry climate where I live. I like the camera but wish I had chosen something else. I did not realize when I purchased that they should be used indoors where they would be easier to maintain. I didn't do my homework so I hope this helps you.

Gizmo

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I have decided to buy the Starlight 2MP turrets. THey should be good unter the eaves right? The turrets I have no have no problem being there.

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I don't really have any issues with Hikvison domes under my eaves. I left the desiccant pack in each camera which takes care of any moisture issues that may occur. I spray the glass and clean with windex every few months or so. Dropping a screw was an issue when I installed them but I almost never move or adjust once they are up.
One Issue I do have is that spiders seem to be attracted to the IR light and they spin webs in front of the cameras and that sets off the motion detection until I use a broom to knock the web down.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I installed several 2CD2142FWD outside, under the eave. Some of them are difficult to reach. My experience is as others have said, IR glare. Plus I need to dust the cover every few months on several of the camera. If you ever want to access the inside components, like to adjust the lens position or hit the reset button, you have a nearly impossible task of unscrewing 3 screws, hoping the cover retaining strap doesn't break, and being outside, good luck if you drop the screw (they are supposed be have a retainer but some of my cameras did not). I don't have a problem with condensation due to the dry climate where I live. I like the camera but wish I had chosen something else. I did not realize when I purchased that they should be used indoors where they would be easier to maintain. I didn't do my homework so I hope this helps you.
Getting the outlet boxes you can mount them to helps move them away from the eave and reduce the glare.