Confused in Camera world

Ckerch

n3wb
Reaction score
Sorry for the long post but, I am another camera newbie in need of help. I have read a number of posts including the Cliff notes trying to learn about these cameras. While I have learned a lot from them, my confusion level has also increased exponentially.
My present system consists of:
  • Ubiquiti 16 port POE switch to power cameras
  • Dedicated PC running windows 10 for Blue iris
  • All cameras will be hardwired with Cat6
  • Homeseer will connect to Blue Iris for security and control of Zwave devices (lights, security lights)
  • An old Hikvision M/N DS-2CD2132-I. Presently it has poor low light sensitivity and when turning on IR, getting a lot of IR bleeding in the picture. I will probably not use this once I get new camera.
My primary goal is security for the house and finished barn. My detection ranges are around 8, 13 and 23m. I would like to do motion detection, record person(s) on events and have Homeseer turn on lights on. I live in an area where everyone has 10 acres and no street lights so it gets quite dark here. I am looking to start with a couple of cameras (most likely Porch and one in barn) and expand from this as my knowledge and money dictates. Eventually I am looking at installing between 8 -10 cameras.
From my reading, what I have got so far is:
  • I should try to stay away from domes because of UV affects.
  • Don’t chase pixel MB.
  • Lower pixel count will give me larger pixel size giving better sensitivity in lower light conditions.
  • Try to avoid using IR because of wash out but with my light conditions will probably have to use them. Not sure how I can avoid these washout conditions. My thought is once I get detect, I can turn on lights allowing for better recording.
  • Looking at Hikvision or Dahua. Leaning toward Dahua because of the support Andy gives and it looks like they have a wider range of cameras
  • Should probably use the Dahau Starlight series
  • Do not buy gray market cameras. Only buy ones that can be updated in English.
  • I sure I have learned more but the gray matter in my head is spinning but should far out eventually

My questions are:
  • Does IR washout affect detection?
  • Is there any benefit to SD card since I have Blue Iris?
  • Given my goal and environment conditions, what pixel count would you settle around?
  • As far as sensitivity goes is the a min lux level I should to stay around?
  • As far as audio, not sure why a mic is offered if it does not have a speaker. What conditions would a mic only be used?
  • Are there any cameras that you can recommend? Would like to keep it in the $100 range but of course cheaper would always be nicer.

Been looking at the IPC-T2231T-ZS or IPC-T5241TM-AS but cannot tell where the IR’s are and if there would be IR bleed concerns. Because of the size, I was looking at camera IPC-HDBW4421E for the porch but it has a dome which sounds like a no-no.

Thank you in advance for any feedback you can provide.
Carl

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry for the long post but, I am another camera newbie in need of help. I have read a number of posts including the Cliff notes trying to learn about these cameras. While I have learned a lot from them, my confusion level has also increased exponentially.
My present system consists of:
  • Ubiquiti 16 port POE switch to power cameras
  • Dedicated PC running windows 10 for Blue iris
  • All cameras will be hardwired with Cat6
  • Homeseer will connect to Blue Iris for security and control of Zwave devices (lights, security lights)
  • An old Hikvision M/N DS-2CD2132-I. Presently it has poor low light sensitivity and when turning on IR, getting a lot of IR bleeding in the picture. I will probably not use this once I get new camera.
My primary goal is security for the house and finished barn. My detection ranges are around 8, 13 and 23m. I would like to do motion detection, record person(s) on events and have Homeseer turn on lights on. I live in an area where everyone has 10 acres and no street lights so it gets quite dark here. I am looking to start with a couple of cameras (most likely Porch and one in barn) and expand from this as my knowledge and money dictates. Eventually I am looking at installing between 8 -10 cameras.
From my reading, what I have got so far is:
  • I should try to stay away from domes because of UV affects.
  • Don’t chase pixel MB.
  • Lower pixel count will give me larger pixel size giving better sensitivity in lower light conditions.
  • Try to avoid using IR because of wash out but with my light conditions will probably have to use them. Not sure how I can avoid these washout conditions. My thought is once I get detect, I can turn on lights allowing for better recording.
  • Looking at Hikvision or Dahua. Leaning toward Dahua because of the support Andy gives and it looks like they have a wider range of cameras
  • Should probably use the Dahau Starlight series
  • Do not buy gray market cameras. Only buy ones that can be updated in English.
  • I sure I have learned more but the gray matter in my head is spinning but should far out eventually

My questions are:
  • Does IR washout affect detection?
  • Is there any benefit to SD card since I have Blue Iris?
  • Given my goal and environment conditions, what pixel count would you settle around?
  • As far as sensitivity goes is the a min lux level I should to stay around?
  • As far as audio, not sure why a mic is offered if it does not have a speaker. What conditions would a mic only be used?
  • Are there any cameras that you can recommend? Would like to keep it in the $100 range but of course cheaper would always be nicer.

Been looking at the IPC-T2231T-ZS or IPC-T5241TM-AS but cannot tell where the IR’s are and if there would be IR bleed concerns. Because of the size, I was looking at camera IPC-HDBW4421E for the porch but it has a dome which sounds like a no-no.

Thank you in advance for any feedback you can provide.
Carl
Welcome Carl @Ckerch

Suggest picking up a Dahua OEM varifocal camera and playing with it a bit right now. As with many things, once you've read the fine manual, getting your hands on the equipment and reviewing sections you may have skimmed will help you really understand your options better.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) I have not had any problem with IR on turret cameras and the detection works great. In a near total darkness last night it picked up a rat running across the porch
2) the SD card with blue iris is just a level of redundancy for your recorded data. BI does not use the SD card.
3) I would use a Starlight 4 MP camera. Or a @ MP if cost is an issue.
4) can not answer that
5) The mic can be used a the front door. There was a post yesterday were there was a low level shot record on the camera.
6) recommended cameras , in no order
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)

Ckerch

n3wb
Reaction score
That Dahua N22AL12 looks very interesting
1) I have not had any problem with IR on turret cameras and the detection works great. In a near total darkness last night it picked up a rat running across the porch
2) the SD card with blue iris is just a level of redundancy for your recorded data. BI does not use the SD card.
3) I would use a Starlight 4 MP camera. Or a @ MP if cost is an issue.
4) can not answer that
5) The mic can be used a the front door. There was a post yesterday were there was a low level shot record on the camera.
6) recommended cameras , in no order
N22AL12 New Dahua N22AL12 Budget Cam w/Starlight -- low cost entry
IPC-T2347G-LU Review of the Hikvision OEM model IPC-T2347G-LU 'ColorVu' IP CCTV camera. (DS-2CD2347G1-LU)
IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 Review-Dahua IPC-HDW2231T-ZS-S2 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera
IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED Review IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED (Full Color, Starlight+)
That Dahua N22AL12 looks very interesting and the review looked good. Those might be good for in my barn. B&H is out of stock right now but hopefully they will get more in soon.
I looked at the reviews for the IPC-HDW2231R-ZS and the IPC-HDW2231T-ZS it looks like the later maybe better for low light. Kind of leaning that way but still looking.
Would still like to find a mini turret style with good low lux rating. I have not found any Dahua brand one though

Thanks for the feedback
Carl

bam2413

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check out Andy's selection - Amazon Link to Store

He is a vendor spoken highly of here and I have used him for all my cameras and haven't had a single issue! And he ships super quick

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Ckerch

n3wb
Reaction score
Check out Andy's selection - Amazon Link to Store

He is a vendor spoken highly of here and I have used him for all my cameras and haven't had a single issue! And he ships super quick
It looks like he only sells the IPC-HDW2231T-ZS model on his AliExpress site. Not sure this is available in the US.

Thanks again

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
One way to minimize IR washout is to install a separate IR illuminator located some distance from the camera.
I would second this option. IR will attract bugs and spiders will build their nest around them too. A turret camera is less likely to show spider webs than a dome camera, but they can definitely still be effected. By moving the IR source away from the camera (even if just by a couple of feet), the risk drops to almost zero.

Not only that, but using stand alone IR illuminators will allow you to more effectively cover a larger area. This could be important given how much land you have.

Ckerch

n3wb
Reaction score
That sounds like it would be a good application for my porch since is back about 6ft. Would you place the IR illuminator off to one side like in a corner? Have to think how I would do the back of the house since it is about 50ft long.

@SouthernYankee In another post, you mentioned "8) Avoid chinese hacked cameras (most ebay, amazon, aliexpress cameras(not all, but most)) " I assumed Andy does not fall into this category, but how can you tell if these are hacked?

Thank You
Carl

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score