connecting DS-KH8520 (indoor station) to VIVOTEK cameras using ONVIF

pietrodevo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am setting up a intercom system in my house, using some DS-KH8520 indoor units and an external DS-KV8113. I also have some VIVOTEK ipcams (specifically 3 FD9365 and 1
FD9367) that works with a QNAP NAS. I would like to view my ipcams through internal units. I have read the manuals and DS-KH8520 should be able to work with any ONVIF rstp camera given a H264 encoding stream with a max resolution of 1280x720.
"should be" because I am really struggling to have it work.

on the testing unit, VIVOTEK FD9367:

- I tried all possible configurations in terms of video stream, playing here lowering resolution and framerates etc:
img1.png

- and those are my streaming protocols settings. I have no idea if here the DS-KH8520 is expecting something different (i tried to change the access name for example, or the authentication mode):
img2.png

- if i try to view my IPCAM from the DS-KH8520 or by VLC, from my computer, I see that apparently, an RTSP stream is started:
img4.png

on my PC VLC is always working fine... BUT on the DS-KH8520 :
20240816_192752.jpg

Nothing happens, no way to have it start the streaming :(

this is all I can set on the unit, I can't change anything else (manufacturer protocol can only be ONVIF or HIK):
img3.png

Does someone had some luck? any ideas?
HIK support is really uncooperative on this topic, no way to have any kind of clarification.
Any help is really appreciated!

Last edited:

pietrodevo

n3wb
Reaction score
Check resolution limitations, try to lower it down, also check if you have h246. Anything like h254+ or5 wont work
I tried even the lowest possible resolution with 1 FPS. The codec is h264. If i change it to h265 or JPEG I get an error from the indoor unit saying the strem is not supported. Looks like this feature is so broken on those units, what else I can try?

pietrodevo

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, that was also my hope... I updated to the latest firmware release already, with no luck. It's really weird because after all the doorbell unit stream, below the "HIK protocol", still uses an rtsp stream with a quite high resolution and high FPS. It should be capable of handling reasonable ipcams streams, even more such an underpowered stream... I was thinking about changing the streams name (to "main" or "substream" etc) but I guess that is already handled automatically when negotiating the stream.
I think HIKVISION should definitely remove this broken feature instead of advertising it, or give more details and try to fix it.

Nobody lucky with this?

Last edited: